Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2019, 06:18   #61
BHPian

re: Son pushes gifted BMW gifted by dad into river. Reason? He wanted a Jaguar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
This reminds me of a friend who had almost thrown away his Tissot because he wanted an Omega from his parents. I waited beneath his window for a few days hoping to catch the Tissot, but unfortunately good sense prevailed and he kept the watch
Be it Tissot or Omega or Rolex .... the Time was not right for you
The question is that why would someone buy such an expensive gift without consulting the receiver ? Especially when he/she is a close member of family. What if donor's choice and the receiver's choice doesn't match ?
In the case of Wrist Watch, the brand is not enough. The colour, dial and strap - all matters.
Though ladies are known to have affinity for Jewelry, how many can afford to buy a piece without their consent.
IMO all gifts should be made with prior consultations and choice.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 09:54   #62
BHPian

Trevor Noah having some fun with this...

Vikram Arya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 12:35   #63
Senior - BHPian

I feel like throwing up, thinking of the kid's mindset. This is yet another case of people selling lands in Haryana for crores, then loosing their minds.
They go berserk with all the money, as it just fell into their lap.

Wonder how he'd treat humans !!
Old 22nd August 2019, 16:39   #64
BHPian

To be honest, he dodged a bullet there. But, let's say, parents decide to gift him a JAAAAG, wait till he gets the dosage of Jaguar's service bills. Fortunately he is not in Bangalore, otherwise he would have had to bear the work quality of JLR ASC here and ended up pushing himself into the river.
ka51resident is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 06:21   #65
BHPian

Had he waited some little time, he would not have pushed the BMW ..... floods would have visited his home and carried away the precious cargo
Old 23rd August 2019, 10:50   #66
BHPian

Just my two cents. Psychology plays a big part here. Some parents are so held up with making all the money in the world, and not to mention travelling the world in doing so, that they simply don’t have the time to spend time with their children. Instead they try and compensate for all the love and affection by gifting their kids all what they need.

My aunt being a psychologist, told me about one incident where a son, in his (obviously gifted) Honda City V Tech met with an accident on the way to Goa with some friends. Thankfully no one was injured! And guess what his parents told him to console him “Don’t worry son, we’ll buy you an Accord!”!

Anyways, long story cut short, when my aunt was counselling the 21-year old boy who had gotten into substance abuse, he burst into tears and said that he didn’t want his parent’s money. All he wanted was their love and affection and to spend more quality time with them!

I guess the saying that money can’t buy you everything still holds true!
aadithsince1980 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 14:12   #67
BHPian

This incident is absolutely appalling. The overgrown 'kid' seriously needs counselling. Gifting a BMW is a matter of choice for his parents, but gifting it to such a lunatic is certainly a sin. Just looking at the statement of his parents. If the 'kid' was not mentally fit why was he gifted a car and allowed to drive in the first place?

Even in this part of the country we have people who become millionaires overnight by selling lands at astronomical prices. Lot of them ended bankrupt in a few years due to habits like these. They drive around in their white Audis os Fortuners petrifying and threatening others. Its a very common sight in the outskirts of Pune.

This kid should not be given a car and made to use public transport for a few years just to teach him some humility. I doubt this will happen though and who knows, maybe he will get a brand new Jag.

While growing up we had to struggle and prove ourselves even to get small gifts. But in a way it made us independent and taught us the value of money. I bought my first car at the age of 30 with my hard earned money after working for 8 years.
rajvardhanraje is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 18:09   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadithsince1980 View Post
Just my two cents. Psychology plays a big part here. Some parents are so held up with making all the money in the world, and not to mention travelling the world in doing so, that they simply don’t have the time to spend time with their children. Instead they try and compensate for all the love and affection by gifting their kids all what they need.
It would be wrong to make that conclusion, and so unfair on a lot of parents, who I see regularly, slogging to bring in the money for a comfortable life of the family. It is wrong to say that the parents did not have time for the kids. These parents, even if they are rich at the end of day, do spend quality time and impart the correct teachings.

It was the intent that was missing from the parents, to spend quality time with the kids, teach them a few civilized things. Probably, this intent was never there. Their intent would have been to show off their money even to their own kids.

Amount of time spent with the kids does not matter at all. What one teaches them, how one behaves in front of them is what matters. They will learn what they will observe.

All kids will cry and try as much as possible, to have their own way. But that is where parenting matters. Give it to them so that they stop crying and the kid grows up to be like this example at hand.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 23rd August 2019 at 18:11.
vinit.merchant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 10:40   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
It would be wrong to make that conclusion, and so unfair on a lot of parents, who I see regularly, slogging to bring in the money for a comfortable life of the family. It is wrong to say that the parents did not have time for the kids. These parents, even if they are rich at the end of day, do spend quality time and impart the correct teachings.

It was the intent that was missing from the parents, to spend quality time with the kids, teach them a few civilized things. Probably, this intent was never there. Their intent would have been to show off their money even to their own kids.

Amount of time spent with the kids does not matter at all. What one teaches them, how one behaves in front of them is what matters. They will learn what they will observe.

All kids will cry and try as much as possible, to have their own way. But that is where parenting matters. Give it to them so that they stop crying and the kid grows up to be like this example at hand.

True, this may be a one-off case, but it is definitely a valid reason. There could, and would be various reasons for such behavior. I just gave an example that I knew of. My intent was never to say that this is the only reason

Most Viewed