Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2019, 21:55   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: Son pushes gifted BMW gifted by dad into river. Reason? He wanted a Jaguar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
This tantrum and its causes did not start with the car purchase or a month earlier. This started 18 to 20 odd years ago and is a result of the way this young man was brought up and treated by his parents, by the values that were instilled or not instilled in him.
The article says rich landowner's son. I suspect these guys hit the jackpot recently after land prices hit the roof. Quite possible that the father did not work hard for their riches either.
SmartCat is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 01:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Well if he is mentally ill then why is he being gifted a car in the first place ?
Mortis is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 06:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

Crazy stuff, this incident clearly indicates opulence in India. There are millions struggling for food and other basic necessities and there's this kid drowning a BMW in a river. I feel sad for the parents and the environmental damage this causes.

Slightly OT-How young is he? If he's under 20, the parents have no business gifting him a BMW.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 06:07   #19
BHPian

If he is Mentally Unstable, as clarified by his Parents, why did they gift him a BMW or even any Motorised Vehicle ? So that he could go berserk on roads and kill others ?
Amrik Singh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 09:53   #20
BHPian

Away from the talk about the mentally unstable kid, it’s the innocent BMW image that seem to be in the casualty right now. BMW's image took the hit and the Jaguar is laughing now.

Last edited by ajmat : 11th August 2019 at 12:44. Reason: typo
india008 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 10:43   #21
BHPian

We have one extreme that steal petty things from hotel and here is another extreme.

Feel sorry for the car, it went down in Terminator like fashion "I ll be back, totalled"

I need phone number of this kid, because next time he does, I can get a BMW (or similar items) at THROWAWAY price

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 11th August 2019 at 10:56.
Thermodynamics is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 10:44   #22
BHPian

For father .... it is just another piece of farming land that got sold. The cost of farming lands have gone up considerably in Punjab and Haryana and if it is turned to residential complex, it is turned to Gold.
Case of someone deserving a Tractor getting a BMW
Amrik Singh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 11:00   #23

That makes me really sad to see a brand new machine meet this fate, that too because of a whimsical brat.I believe a case was registered, but such a person should be put behind bars for good.

A slightly OT question, would the car be salvageable? Or be brought back to near new conditions?
Would an insurance company still cover the claims if in case filed? or will it be a just carried to the scrapyard?

Last edited by ajmat : 11th August 2019 at 12:44. Reason: typo
sourishganguly is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 11:03   #24
BHPian

Classic case of bad parenting. On the other hand, I feel happy as he just put it down in river and not on a crowded place or a wall in the city. That would have been a disaster. You don't know the value of something until you earned it on your own.
hema4saran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 12:46   #25
Team-BHP Support

Its going to be one tough insurance claim. This is wilful damage all over the press. The insurance folks will have a tough time standing upto such ignorant folks
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 12:50   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Its going to be one tough insurance claim. This is wilful damage all over the press. The insurance folks will have a tough time standing upto such ignorant folks

Nothing tough about it. It is the equivalent of arson. With proof on video. Also, the burden is on the owner. He has to claim the money or sue for it. Is is not like insurance company has to get something back.

Yes if the car was hypothecated the lending bank has the headache of recovering its money without a monetizable asset.
Axe77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 09:07   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

This should not even be news according to me. Clearly the father can easily afford the BMW (and afford the loss of the BMW as well) and the son has been born privileged (no nouveau riche kid will throw a tantrum like that) and both seem to have had some miscommunication, or the father thought that he can appease his son by buying a slightly less expensive car but couldn't get away with it.

Having gone to a school where I was one of few "middle class" children, and having grown up with richie rich kids throughout my life, I actually feel privileged because when one has defined resources, one learns to accept limitations and get only what one needs.. when resources are undefined, seemingly unlimited and when one focuses on that 5% difference between 2 already overpriced brands, life becomes hell.

Nothing to feel horrified about here, folks.. no harm done, just a car. The kid will learn in due course when the unlimited becomes limited.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 09:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

Poor 'kid' did not get his '2.5 crore' Jaguar. Really feel sorry for the kid.

First of all he is not a kid (which many of us are referring to him as). If he is driving around a car I am assuming he is above 18 which means he is an adult. An adult capable of committing any other crime and subject to law and justice equivalent to any other criminal of the country.

If what is being reported is absolutely true and not hearsay (which happens a lot these days with media) he should be locked up. But we all know that wont happen because he surely has his Papa by his side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Nothing to feel horrified about here, folks.. no harm done, just a car. The kid will learn in due course when the unlimited becomes limited.
I am sorry sir but a lot of harm was done. I am not an environmentalist but I work for an organisation that works day in and out to clean rivers and natural habitat. And throwing a 2 Ton Beemer in the river is by no means harmless. People in several places live on water from the river.

On top of that there were at least 20 people risking their lives to get the car out of the water.

These events should not shrugged off and should be dealt with utmost seriousness. However, we all know that wont happen and he will get away with a slap on the wrist.
Pancham is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 10:26   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I am sorry sir but a lot of harm was done. I am not an environmentalist but I work for an organisation that works day in and out to clean rivers and natural habitat. And throwing a 2 Ton Beemer in the river is by no means harmless. People in several places live on water from the river.

On top of that there were at least 20 people risking their lives to get the car out of the water.

These events should not shrugged off and should be dealt with utmost seriousness. However, we all know that wont happen and he will get away with a slap on the wrist.
I'm an environmentalist, but given the propensity for cars to harm out on the road, relatively this hasn't caused much harm because it has more or less come out in one piece quite quickly and gone in, in one piece. Assuming that the car's plumbing and pipes are intact, no fluids would've escaped except for battery acids (which of course is cause for concern).

An accident in real-world causes far more damage, be it coolant leakage, busted pieces of glass and metals everywhere, need to re-cycle and demand for new parts etc. Of course this car as it stands is a write-off, no one will touch it with a barge pole given the sensitive electronics and the whole interior would've been destroyed as its made of natural leather (synthetic can be easily saved).

Environmental agony is always there and is associated with the normal purchase, use and wear-&-tear of any automobile.. no industry is a bigger foe to the environment and animals like the auto industry, but as far as this particular incident goes we all call him a kid because irrespective of his age.. his actions are that of a 5 year old and I'm sure the loss (monetary) is all theirs to behold, they wont stay wealthy too long with such thinking.
dark.knight is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 11:00   #30
BHPian

I was not shocked to see this news. There are so many parents in this country, who with new found opullence from whatever ways or means, literally destroy their kids' future by making them rotten brats. they sem to be buying affection and acceptance from their kids. Children are not taught the value of money or how to earn money a decent way.
It is mentioned in this thread that the boy was mentally unstable. Before him, I think the parents are in urgent need of a proper counselling to understand the basics of good parenting. There are many such parents in our country.
premc44 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed