Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2019, 21:02   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Our hero - Dhanush Menon - helps Karnataka Flood victims

Rescue and Relief Operations

The rescue operations by the Navy was done by the rescue basket.

Our hero - Dhanush Menon - helps Karnataka Flood victims-1-intro-rescue-basket-operations.jpg

The rescue basket, which can seat two at a time, was a game changer indeed. Compared to a single person lift through a strop, this is much safer, efficient and faster.

Awaiting arrival of Rescue

Our hero - Dhanush Menon - helps Karnataka Flood victims-51-helicopter-arrival.jpg

Eyes on the sky.

Our hero - Dhanush Menon - helps Karnataka Flood victims-55-helo-arrives-basket-ground-survivors-.jpg

Helicopter arrives and lowers the basket. Two at a time is seated inside under the supervision of Flight Navy Diver (in black neoprene suit).

Our hero - Dhanush Menon - helps Karnataka Flood victims-57-hoisted-into-helo.jpg

Hoisted. Ready to be winched up.

Our hero - Dhanush Menon - helps Karnataka Flood victims-59-closer-safety.jpg

Closer to safety.

Our hero - Dhanush Menon - helps Karnataka Flood victims-59.1-safe-zone-one-snap-remember.jpg

In safe zone now. Smile, for one snap to remember.

Rescue from another rooftop. 15 elders who weren't strong enough to wade across the current in the river were rescued from here.

Another rooftop rescue. Two bridges that connected this village to mainland had submerged.

Our hero - Dhanush Menon - helps Karnataka Flood victims-risky-rescue-ht-cable-1.jpg

One of the most challenging rescues we attempted.
The proximity of the high tension cable and cross winds made the rescue very risky. Two elders survived on the tree for three days. When the helicopter approached, they climbed down and with the help of a pole nearby, they managed to stand amidst the strong current.

Our hero - Dhanush Menon - helps Karnataka Flood victims-risky-rescue-ht-cable-2.jpg

Proximity of the high tension cable.

Thoroughly satisfying and totally worth the efforts.

Our hero - Dhanush Menon - helps Karnataka Flood victims-rescued-people-nearby-landing-spots-1.jpg

Our hero - Dhanush Menon - helps Karnataka Flood victims-rescued-people-nearby-landing-spots-3.jpg

Our hero - Dhanush Menon - helps Karnataka Flood victims-rescued-people-nearby-landing-spots-2.jpg

The rescued people were shifted to any suitable landing site nearby (open spaces, grounds etc).

Our hero - Dhanush Menon - helps Karnataka Flood victims-61-emergency-cases-were-attended-promptly-base.jpg

If no landing site was available nearby, or if they required medical assistance, they were shifted back to the airfield at Belgaum where they were administered medical support.
dhanushmenon is offline   (64) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 21:14   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Dhanush -salute to you, your team and all your colleagues engaged actively in the rescue efforts. Proud of you all!

Thanks GTO for this thread and honoring Dhanush, the least we can do!
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 21:18   #33

Hats of Dhanush.
Really feel proud to be part of such community where people like Dhanush humbly join as Public servant.
VIKINGTILLDEATH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 21:35   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Rescue and Relief Operations
Dhanush Sir, All I can say is Salute and Thank you!
And Thanks to GTO for this thread. The best thing about our forum is that it unites people from diverse fields. I am new to this forum and I feel privileged to know Mr.Dhanush's heroics from the man himself.
jkaushik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 21:59   #35
BHPian

Hats off to Commander Dhanush Menon (Mr. D) and his team for providing yeoman service to the people in desperate need.
Please know that normal citizens like me applaud all that you and your team are doing and keep you in our prayers.
Kindly extend our thanks, gratitude and regards to all the members of your team.

Last edited by Ithaca : 12th August 2019 at 22:04.
Ithaca is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 22:15   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
The rescue operations by the Navy was done by the rescue basket. The rescue basket, which can seat two at a time, was a game changer indeed. Compared to a single person lift through a strop, this is much safer, efficient and faster.
Dhanush, what happens after the rescue basket gets to the helicopter door? How do passengers get into the copter? Any video of the transfer from rescue basket to helicopter?
SmartCat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 22:16   #37
BHPian

Dear Commander Dhanush Ji,
Hats off to you and all the brave soldiers of India. We are safe all because of selfless soldiers like you. Feeling immense proud to be part of our community. May god bless you and your family (And all the soldiers family). Jai Hind! Vande Mataram!

Thanks,
TK
TorqueKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 22:17   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Relief operations... Contd/-

After the initial days, the focus shifts mainly to provide relief material at the affected areas. We did provide relief material too, though our main focus was on rescue of stranded people.

Our hero - Dhanush Menon - helps Karnataka Flood victims-63-loading-releif-material.jpg

Loading relief material.

Our hero - Dhanush Menon - helps Karnataka Flood victims-65-eyes-sky-awaiting-relief-2.jpg

Eyes to sky!

Our hero - Dhanush Menon - helps Karnataka Flood victims-67-distribution-relief-material.jpg

Distribution of relief material.

Relief material was lowered to places where landing was not possible.

Our hero - Dhanush Menon - helps Karnataka Flood victims-69relief-distribution-help-locals.jpg

The local populace helped in unloading and distribution.

Our hero - Dhanush Menon - helps Karnataka Flood victims-71-relief-between-paddy-fields.jpg

Food and water was provided even in middle of paddy fields.

Our hero - Dhanush Menon - helps Karnataka Flood victims-media-getting-first-hand-look-devastation.jpg

We also carried many media personnel. Media getting a first hand look into the devastation and our operations. In this snap (above), Mirror Now journalists take stock of situation.

Our hero - Dhanush Menon - helps Karnataka Flood victims-onloookers-impromptu-landing-area-distributing-relief-material.jpg

Onlookers at an impromptu landing field.

Times like these brings everyone together. Be it the King or his subject. It was very heartening to see everyone working together towards the greater good of humanity. I was mighty pleased with the cooperation and unity of people in time of need. May we all be good humans first and then individuals.

Our hero - Dhanush Menon - helps Karnataka Flood victims-z-angel-indeed.jpg

As a parting shot, I thank the machine that made all this happen- ALH Dhruv, by HAL. Wishing you all good health and happiness.

Warm regards,
dhanushmenon is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 22:29   #39
Senior - BHPian

Glad to know we have a real hero in our midst, Hats off Cmdr Dhanush Menon!
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 23:21   #40
BHPian

Thank you Commander Dhanush for the untiring rescue efforts. The aerial photos and videos tell about the scary reality of the floods.
adi.mariner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 00:27   #41
Senior - BHPian

I have no words to commend you and your fellow heroes enough! Thank you for your bravery and commitment.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 11:27   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokii_83 View Post
Salute to commander Sab, Dhanush!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Dhanush, you keep making the community proud at every opportunity. Not enough superlatives to praise you and your team
Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Dhanush Kudos man, words cant express the gratitude

Thanks GTO for this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max63 View Post
Hats off to Commander Dhanush, We feel safe due to the presence of the armed forces everywhere be it protecting Kashmir and the country or in Floods in the plains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Thank you Dhanush - We are blessed to have so many patriots like you and others in our armed forces who serve the nation day in and day out tirelessly and selflessly. Take a bow!

For people in Distress - don't worry, we have Mr.D just round the corner or just above to help
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Dhanush -salute to you, your team and all your colleagues engaged actively in the rescue efforts. Proud of you all!

Thanks GTO for this thread and honoring Dhanush, the least we can do!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKINGTILLDEATH View Post
Hats of Dhanush.
Really feel proud to be part of such community where people like Dhanush humbly join as Public servant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaushik View Post
Dhanush Sir, All I can say is Salute and Thank you!
And Thanks to GTO for this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Hats off to Commander Dhanush Menon (Mr. D) and his team for providing yeoman service to the people in desperate need.
Thanks a lot everyone for your kind words and warm appreciation. Really overwhelmed with this tremendous response. Shall definitely convey the best wishes to my team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Dhanush, what happens after the rescue basket gets to the helicopter door? How do passengers get into the copter? Any video of the transfer from rescue basket to helicopter?
Once the basket reached in line with the cabin floor of the helicopter, the winch control is handed over to the copilot (there's a switch for winch operation on his flight control stick). The winch operator then pulls the basket inside while the co-pilot lowers the winch. I may have a video. Need to search. Shall upload it subsequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueKnight View Post
Dear Commander Dhanush Ji,
Hats off to you and all the brave soldiers of India. Jai Hind! Vande Mataram!

Thanks,
TK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Glad to know we have a real hero in our midst, Hats off Cmdr Dhanush Menon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
Thank you Commander Dhanush for the untiring rescue efforts. The aerial photos and videos tell about the scary reality of the floods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I have no words to commend you and your fellow heroes enough! Thank you for your bravery and commitment.
Thank you very much everyone. It was a team work and I'm glad to say that everyone pitched in when it counted. The armed forces, civil administration, the local populace and also the people back in our bases who supported us with administrative support. Most importantly, our spouses back at home who has been our backbones with moral support and courage.

Thanks everyone once again for your very kind words. I actually did not even know that a thread was live for this till the time my good friend, Kochi Bhpian, BigBrad messaged me with the link. Thanks once again to GTO for this honour. I feel really elated.
dhanushmenon is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 12:11   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Dhanush Chettai, thanks a ton for everything you do! Having seen the devastation earlier and now family coping up with the losses, can't thank you enough for doing what you do. The NDRF, SDRF, Navy, AF, MLI from Belgaum and Kolhapur - everyone has chimed in. Your help and support is above everything for victims.

Privileged to have been connected with you for long! We met in Himalayas, thanks to your XUV. Now I am looking forward to catch up while you are close to my home

"Thank you" doesn't sum-up the feelings
abirnale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 12:26   #44
BHPian

Simply appalling to see the real sad state of affairs of those in suffering, here most of us do not realize the plight sitting in the comfort of our homes.

GTO it is really nice of you to acknowledge , show appreciate and bring to light the wonderful effort of one of our own tirelessly working to give comfort to another in need. Many would put it as his job but the very act is commendable.

My hats off to you Dhanush a true essence to your name.

This herculean task or act, unlike those, who only give tinpot display of work done for merit with no concrete acts or work on their part is refreshing to see here first hand in this thread.

With pride I say awesome job and cheers to you and your team for your attainment. You all are truely “Angles in Disguise”.
ToothyPetrohead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 13:00   #45
Team-BHP Support

Respect Commander Dhanush! The Team bhp forum is proud of you.

Thanks @GTO for the thread.
BlackPearl is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks