Team-BHP - Kerala Police caught driving without wearing seatbelts
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Kerala Police caught driving without wearing seatbelts (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/212253-kerala-police-caught-driving-without-wearing-seatbelts.html)

Here the biker catches the police officials without wearing a seat belt in his video cam. He chases them, overtakes and stop their vehicle. Then he questions them, why they are not wearing seat belts?

We can see from the video that officials inside the vehicle threaten him of consequences but he refuses to budge and eventually the officials had to put on the seat belts.

Link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY3T_8J2VnU

It has been caught up by online news media too.

Link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPQ1ctb91ik

Mods: If similar thread exists, please merge this with that thread, I searched could not find one.

While I'm not against pointing out the rule violation by those who are supposed to enforce them, the fact that this kid parked his bike in front of the police jeep and blocked them puts him on the wrong side of the law. This can be seen as blocking an officer on duty and he can be booked for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lambydude (Post 4641167)
While I'm not against pointing out the rule violation by those who are supposed to enforce them, the fact that this kid parked his bike in front of the police jeep and blocked them puts him on the wrong side of the law. This can be seen as blocking an officer on duty and he can be booked for it.

An individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for the law
― Martin Luther King Jr.

According 2019 Motor Vehicle Act, the fine for law enforcement authority is twice the normal amount. The fine for seat belt violation is ₹1000, and for the police it will be ₹2000.

He should have stuck to clicking their picture or making a video and then posting it on their online page or giving it to the media etc.
Merely for stopping his bike infront of their car like that could have gotten him into a world of trouble and he should not have done it.

I had seen parts of this video earlier. My guess is that the person taking the video must have been recently caught by the police for not wearing a helmet. Since there is too much effort/risk involved, I think the motivation is one of the following:

Quote:

Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 (Post 4641241)
  • Revenge for being fined in the recent past
  • Attempt to make a viral video

That doesn't make what the cops did right does it? Kerala cops have a nasty reputation. Good ones are few and far between. The enthusiasm they show in catching people and fining them - why don't they show the same enthusiasm to practice what they preach.

Quote:

Originally Posted by longhorn (Post 4641253)
That doesn't make what the cops did right does it? Kerala cops have a nasty reputation. Good ones are few and far between. The enthusiasm they show in catching people and fining them - why don't they show the same enthusiasm to practice what they preach.

What the cops did was wrong, and there is no way to defend that. That is why they agreed to wear the seatbelts.

I would disagree on one point. I appreciate the strictness with which Kerala Police enforces traffic laws. That is why traffic discipline is better in Kerala compared to other states near it.

That clearly looks like obstruction of offcial duty to me. I am not justifying the fact that they were not wearing seatbelt. But what the biker did was a little over the top. At the maximum, he can take a picture and report their behaviour through social media or the traffic police whatsapp number for complaints. He does not have the right to block the way of law enforcement and should be punished.

He is lucky he did that in Kerala. The cops there seem forbearing. Had he done this in Punjab or Haryana, he would be looking at a lawyer for bail and a doctor for his injuries.

Here's another "pouran" (malayalam for citizen) doing his duty:
https://youtu.be/Nybm-lD5Rio

As per Police Act 110 :uncontrol

Though the cops who broke the law deserve to be fined, but the guy who made this video is just plain arrogant.

I would never appreciate anyone using this kind of a tone and language against anyone, be it cops or a common man.

I see a lot of these issues cropping up recently with motorcycle vigilantes. I was watching a youtube video where the rider of an R15 was part of a bike group and he falls while tailgating a car very closely and he openly blames the car guy for applying brakes.

I had a chance to visit a police station last year and the Commissioner was discussing the menace these camera carrying morons(youtubers and ticktokers) cause while cops discharge their duty. They film cops while catching traffic offenders, so cops have also started filming the entire thing.

It would have still become a viral video even if he didn't stop their vehicle the way he did. He would have still passed a strong message despite of doing what he did, the way he did.

Big Thumbs down for what he did. let him try pulling the same stunt on Delhi/Haryana police, then he will understand on what side of the law he was while pulling this stop maneuver.

Pramod

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigron (Post 4641334)
He is lucky he did that in Kerela. The cops their seem for bearing. Had he done this in Punjab or Haryana, he would be looking at a lawyer for bail and a doctor for his injuries.

My thoughts exactly, video recording or not, am pretty sure most cops anywhere in the country would have given him a couple of slaps and probably taken him in for a drive to the station. Either this chap has reached a point where he doesn't care anymore or he's well-connected himself.

Update:

Both the police officers have been served with punishment transfers.

While I agree that the Police men needed to be penalized the biker needs to bring it down a notch. He could have simply clicked their pic or uploaded their video but blocking a police car is a bit too much. He is also dangerously driving between the police vehicle and oncoming traffic.