Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 25th August 2019, 21:02   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Ola Cab catches fire in Delhi

Most of the cabs have after market accessories which ultimately leads to a short circuit. If the cab is all clean, I suspect Hyundai. As far as I know, most cab drivers don't even visit the unauthorized service stations to get their cars checked, they infact go to the small shops that do their work very carelessly.

I fail to understand one thing. If your friend is emotionally hurt and affected, how can a compensation by OLA (in terms of money) can heal her? I'm sorry if that sounded rude but this ain't how it works.
momsonlydriver is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2019, 11:52   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuvidC View Post
Loads of gratitude to everyone who provided their valuable input on this thread. If not anything else, this has opened me to post more and post often!

Peace.
Greetings!

First of all, very glad that your friend and the driver are safe. Though coming out of this experience would take time, for both of them.

Am also glad that you shared this experience with all of us. While a few members chose to criticize you and your friend and some even judged her, I'm happy that she understands the gravity of this incident and wants to challenge the cab aggregator legally. Though it is to be understood that not a lot they can do if a new car catches fire or your cab breaks down in the middle of your trip, for example. But they definitely have their responsibility to ensure that the cabs are safe for both passengers and the drivers - some sort of vehicle inspection processes, which I'm sure they don't have. We all need to understand that this kind of incident can happen to anyone of us also. Unless these aggregators are made liable and have strict safety measures to follow, they would keep washing their hands off such cases while their drivers continue driving those dirty, stinky and VERY unsafe cars.

Also, I applaud you the way you have dealt with some of the uncharacteristic comments made on this thread. Putting your point across is absolutely okay but being disrespectful is a very different aspect of an argument. Don't really want to call out any name, but I have to say that I'm disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post

I am glad she is taking them to court. All power to this young lady. A wallop from Delhi High Court will shake up their arrogance especially on matters of safety. Frankly I am shocked at how many members are chiding or ridiculing this woman .
You have my respect, Sir and you made a very valid point here. Somebody does need to rattle their cage filled with apathy and arrogance and I too hope that she can fight them in the court for everybody's betterment.
Col Mehta is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2019, 14:09   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuvidC View Post
Would like to clarify that 'compensation' in her note doesn't necessarily relate to monetary compensation- far from it. She is herself a qualified lawyer and what she means when she says 'compensation' is a truthful and fact-based assurance from Ola that this happened despite their best efforts to keep their cabs safe, on which Ola has fallen short by a big margin IMHO.
I am sorry to say that above itself explains it. Just because she is a lawyer, give us a right to make noise, gain 2 minutes of fame. This couldve happened to a "Kaali- Peeli" , in that case, would she have reacted in a similar manner. Notice most cars have fire-extinguishers, I believe they are there for a reason. Anything is possible when electrical circuits are involved. Cant blame Ola for it.

Like everyone says, thank your lucky stars/your god and move on.

Last edited by nitishk : 26th August 2019 at 14:20. Reason: typo
nitishk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2019, 14:11   #34
BHPian

I'm frankly surprised by the callous tone of many replies on this post. Imagine this happening to you or any of your close ones, I'm sure you'd be of a different opinion. Empathy ladies & gentlemen! Empathy!

Firstly Ola IS liable to answer here because the lady did not book a cab, she booked an Ola. Whether or not Ola has the means & wherewithal to inspect cabs of all its partners is immaterial. Accountability is the name of the game. Just like how a CEO has to answer even if he has no connection whatsoever to a scam in his company. He is the nodal agency responsible.
In this case, only a thorough investigation of the car can conclude whether it is the fault of the driver/operator due to improper maintenance. Even if it is, Ola will have to answer on his behalf.
In the meantime, my advice to the OP is to check with his friend if she opted for ride insurance while booking the ride. I believe ride insurance insures the customer from events like these & thus there's an inbuilt clause of compensation limited upto a certain amount. If the lady has not opted for the same, then Ola can put its hands up.

Last edited by superbad : 29th August 2019 at 14:18.
superbad is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2019, 14:17   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
All cars can catch fire, there is nothing special about Ola for the incident to stand out. Why does your friend want compensation?

In such a case, I would expect Ola to have reached out to your friend to offer support & medical assistance. It's not clear from the rant whether that was done or not. But to blame Ola for a fire in one of their cabs is frankly silly. If anything, I would blame Hyundai, the owner-driver, rodents, after-market accessories or plain bad luck (in no particular order).

Tell your friend to take a chill pill and thank her lucky stars / God / guardian angel / whatever she believes in that she was able to walk away from such an incident. I would have a celebratory dinner!
Wouldn't go to the extend of chiding a service providers responsibility. Doing so would be responding out of emotion to an emotional outbreak to begin with. Financial or otherwise.

Aviation industry operates on the same fundamentals. Organized transport such as cab aggregator's must evolve too. Bodies such as NTSB would help. One must understand the ingredients at play here; namingly over-worked drivers, over-worked cars, family mass market cars in the skin of public mass-market transport, operating under-tremendous cost-pressure, deep-discounting model, policy leakage, flawed governance etc.

PS: not a rant, but this is serious.
somjith_nair is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2019, 14:59   #36
BHPian

I am surprised at the number of people who believe that OLA has no responsibility. If I am sitting in a restaurant and eating food served to me by the restaurant, and I face food poisoning due to bad ingredients like a poisonous mushroom, wouldnt the restaurant be responsible.

I know some people will argue that the food is prepared by the restaurant which is not the case with OLA. But OLA has OLA owned and driver operated cars, what will happen in such cases?

I believe that OLA and UBER are exploiting the loop hole of the transportation industry and getting away with this. The regulation needs to catch up. There is tremendous exploitation from OLA for the drivers as well as the customers and this needs to stop. I wish we have more cases filed against OLA and UBER for relevant incidents.
2000rpm is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2019, 15:40   #37

SuvidC, first I express my sincere sympathies to your friend, and I am glad that she is okay.

It must be traumatic, especially for a lady to go through this harrowing experience. I shudder to think my near and dear ones being in the same situation.
I am very much surprised that lot of people think that the aggregator has no responsibility here to understand, investigate the issue and compensate the customer in a reasonable way. Also, there were posts questioning why the lady, at the nick of the moment, chose to jump on whichever side she did from a moving, burning car?

Not drawing a parallel, but still, while using food delivery apps like uber eats or Deliveroo where I live, there were stray incidents when the wrong order was picked up by the rider due to a mistake from the restaurant, rider wrongly putting the status as delivered without delivering the food, the order getting very delayed due to extreme weather and such. In those cases, after one simple email to the customer care, we always got an entire refund of the order either back to the credit card or as points which can be used to order food from their own app with no questions asked and an apology, irrespective of whether the mistake was from the restaurant, the rider or even the weather conditions delaying the delivery.

This simple gesture goes a long way into easing whatever bad taste was present and make us use the app again.

And here, what occurred was a zillion times more serious than what I mentioned above. I would, in my case, have expected an immediate reaching out to the customer from the aggregator, a sincere apology from their higher ups for the trauma endured, an offer to compensate the medical expenses incurred, free credit possibly for the next ride and at least a ‘fake’ assurance that they will check the cabs and drivers more strictly down the lane.

I as a customer would feel cared for, listened to and soothed after that, and possibly while I would still highlight this experience in social media about the trauma encountered but not without a few words of appreciation for the aggregator on their promptness. If that actually happened to the lady here, even the colour of the opening post would have been different I believe.

Apologies for the long rant but I wish your friend all the strength for her fight.
the_real_slager is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2019, 15:59   #38
BHPian

I feel OLA is NOT RESPONSIBLE for this. It's driver / ASS / Manufacturer who needs to held responsible. The car looks relatively new too.

Few months ago a lady was molested by an Uber driver and people wanted OLA/Uber to take responsibility.

At that time I was completely in disagreement with people. I mean why should be OLA/Uber be responsible for individual's character. Shouldn't it be his parents / friends / society rather than Uber / Police.

Despite that OLA / Uber both took some moral responsibility and came up with some solutions like concept of "location sharing" and "panic button".

Somebody irresponsibly lit the cigarette in train and torch entire bogie and people start bashing government.

This time I have mixed views. I believe OLA can't be held responsible, but can OLA and Uber do something to avoid these type of incidents? They have an opportunity to do something better.

Instead of taking sides or bashing, let us suggest solutions to OLA / UBER on this thread. Let's be solution oriented guys.

What OLA / Uber can do to avoid vehicle accidents, breakdowns or such lethal incidents.

Not to forget, adapting these practices will increase the fares. So please be ready for that too.

My suggestions to OLA / Uber / Meru
Problem - Avoid accidents / rash driving
Solution - Don't rely on RTO licenses. Cab aggregates to run a certification program to educate drivers on traffic rules and ethical driving. Only certified drivers will be eligible to drive car. This concept is not new. All Z+ security drivers undergo through special training program before they get steering.

Problem - Avoid breakdowns / Mishaps
Solution - Tie up with reputed local garages. Ask cabs to get fitness certificate on "n" number of checkpoints like oil leakage, remaining tyre tread etc. This needs to be done monthly / fortnightly. Not to accept any aftermarket fitted kits.

Problem - Check on drivers / passengers
Solution - Install dash cams (inside view too) to keep eye on drivers and passengers behavior.

Please suggest your ideas too.
dicor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2019, 16:18   #39
Senior - BHPian

As someone pointed out, regulation seriously needs to catch up with the whole online booking cab service.

We do have the ammended IT act, but there needs to be a more concise amalgamation of certain sections of the IT act , MV act, Consumer protection laws etc to bring these service providers under complete jurisdiction.

The terms and conditions of Ola and Uber are so complex and far bearing that they have virtually screened themselves away from any possible liability that may arise.

Cases like these will continue to happen unless we clear the law on these aggregators.

An experience, I had while using Ola. I booked an ola from the airport after my International flight landed. It was around 3.30 in the morning. The driver came and we sat. 1 km into the drive, I saw the car wavering and the driver trying hard to stay awake. While I was contemplating, he passed a red light and narrowly missed an 18 wheeler coming from the other side at full speed. I asked him to stop the car, moved to the driver seat and made him sit shot gun. It was almost 4 and I dint want to wait on the side of the road with my wife for a new ola to come. He murmured that he hasent slept in 36 ours. He obviously passed out. Drove the car home myself and that was that.

I stick to the black and yellow vans now. They are chirpy and attentive.

Last edited by bigron : 29th August 2019 at 16:22.
bigron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2019, 16:21   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I am surprised at the number of people who believe that OLA has no responsibility. If I am sitting in a restaurant and eating food served to me by the restaurant, and I face food poisoning due to bad ingredients like a poisonous mushroom, wouldnt the restaurant be responsible.

I know some people will argue that the food is prepared by the restaurant which is not the case with OLA. But OLA has OLA owned and driver operated cars, what will happen in such cases?
Yes, restaurant will be responsible in this case and OLA is also responsible if the burnt car was owned by OLA.

If not owned by OLA then OLA can't be held responsible same way like Swiggy / Zomato / FoodPanda can not be held responsible if restaurant parceled stale food.

Apparently I never saw a cab driver blaming Uber / Ola for a bad experience with customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
We do have the ammended IT act, but there needs to be a more concise amalgamation of certain sections of the IT act , MV act, Consumer protection laws etc to bring these service providers under complete jurisdiction.
-
-
-
I asked him to stop the car, moved to the driver seat and made him sit shot gun. It was almost 4 and I dint want to wait on the side of the road with my wife for a new ola to come. He murmured that he hasent slept in 36 ours. He obviously passed out. Drove the car home myself and that was that.
Law does not permit us to drive commercial vehicles with our regular license. But I guess that was the need of the moment.

Last edited by dicor : 29th August 2019 at 16:28. Reason: adding new quote
dicor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2019, 16:32   #41
BHPian

When you are threatening legal action and expecting ‘proportionate remedial action’, it is unrealistic to expect an ‘immediate response’. These just don’t go hand in hand. I am not sure if Ola has a standard response to someone threatening legal action. Most likely not, because unless they have first assessed all their possible liabilities they will hold their reply as they don’t want to say something which will be held against them in the future or set a precedent.

Alleging that Ola is negligent in on-boarding partners may be without basis. We do not know for sure either way. As consumers seeking relief from law, it helps to know that wilful negligence is not the same as incompetence. Incompetence is for everyone to see, wilful negligence has to be proven in court of law and that requires investigation and audit.

Not discouraging anyone from taking the legal route, and I am sure as a lawyer herself the lady is aware of what lies on that route. So when I read words like ‘concrete action’ together with later clarification from OP that they are not seeking monetary compensation, then I am confused what immediate action do they want. If they want Ola to now set up missing checks and balances then this is not going to show up immediately. What will show up immediately is only an assurance (which will sound like a copy paste reply) and this is probably what they will get, which they will not be satisfied with.

In today’s “Third Party Services” (TPS) based business models, combined with ‘Accept all conditions’ of fine print, establishing liability is a tricky matter. For all we know, Ola has already limited its liability in the T&C to some paltry amount.
Malyaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2019, 16:39   #42
Senior - BHPian

@ dicor ~ At 4 in the morning I was not worried about what license I possessed or what the MV act states.

Even if I was stopped at a traffic check point, being a practicing criminal attorney myself, I knew how the situation was to be dealt with had it arisen.

Last edited by bigron : 29th August 2019 at 16:50.
bigron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2019, 16:57   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicor View Post
Few months ago a lady was molested by an Uber driver and people wanted OLA/Uber to take responsibility.

At that time I was completely in disagreement with people. I mean why should be OLA/Uber be responsible for individual's character. Shouldn't it be his parents / friends / society rather than Uber / Police.
This is the most ridiculous thing I have read on the internet today. You sir are in a different world altogether. Let me tell you this sir. 'People' were right and you were wrong.

There are some very important but basic points people need to understand here.

The cab has a OLA sticker on it and it is not road side kaali-peeli cab. It is an OLA cab. The passenger doesn't care/does't know about the business model they are operating in. All that the passenger knows is it is an OLA. That is it. You advertise your brand and we trust you based on your claims.

My 70 year old non-tech savvy mother uses the OLA regularly and she doesn't know whether OLA owns the cabs or they are just an application. There is a brand which gives us trust.

Driver's responsibility is OLA's responsibility. Same way if you have ever worked for a reputed company you will get fired if you commit a crime/public nuisance or even not wear seat belts. Why? Of course the company doesn't have any control over your actions but it taints the company's image.

They are the operators and they have to own up. Even if it is not their responsibility they should have still come out with a prompt response and handled the situation. In a world of social media and cut throat competition this could have won many hearts.

On a different note: Of course OLA does not/cannot monitor every cab on the streets. But they should atleast have strict rules in place. Moreover, OLA has not been able to control their drivers over the past few years. The situation here in India is pretty bad and my claims are based on several discussions I have had with cab drivers. Alternating cash and card payments have actually affected the operations and cash flow significantly. OLA actually has zero control over their drivers.

There are several OLA drivers who owe OLA thousands and lakhs of cash that are lying around with them after adjusting cash and card payments. The drivers claim that they are not getting paid enough and several of them have gone rogue. OLA does not cancel their registration fearing shortage of supply. Also, OLA must not be having the resources to take any action. So its going on just the way it goes on. May be because we Indians dont fear the law or may be there are no laws strict enough to tame us.

Last edited by Pancham : 29th August 2019 at 17:03.
Pancham is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2019, 17:19   #44
BHPian

Ola employees will be smiling at this thread. Everyone arguing with each other and someone planning to sue them. Not the first time, not the last. They have contracts with drivers(vendors) that lets them escape from such situations with no liability. If you have a day to spare, read through the terms and conditions that are required to be accepted while signing up for using Ola/Uber driver or rider. A Google search will summarise the loopholes there quickly.
ashishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2019, 17:23   #45
BHPian

A fire in a car is a very very dangerous event and i still vividly remember a year or 2 ago - a mother and child who got killed in an apartment parking in Bangalore after their car caught fire.

So first of all - very relieved to know your friend and no one else was hurt, especially your friend had the presence of mind to jump and escape no matter whoever ridicules whichever side she jumped out.

Whom to blame? Am no Sherlock Holmes nor are many on this forum so until someone does a thorough investigation into this the truth will not come out. Is OLA accountable - Hell yes ! , they are selling the services through such cars although they don't "own" the asset , so they at least, need to investigate what exactly caused the fire and ensure to their best possible extent this DOES NOT REPEAT in any of the cars they operate through.

If a business model does not take any accountability, ignores risks but just passes the buck then it deserves to be heavily scrutinized and even chucked out if they do not fall in line, our regulators need more teeth. I would think of putting a case against OLA after consulting a lawyer.

Last edited by The Observer : 29th August 2019 at 17:25. Reason: corrected a spelling
The Observer is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote