Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2019, 20:15   #1
BHPian

Mumbai rains halt Jaguar, Anand Mahindra wins Twitter with Bolero praise

I am surprised a company CEO tweets something like this. How can he compare these two vehicles.

Quote:
Tweet from Anand Mahindra

We won’t brag over this. It’s an unfair contest.The Bolero’s meant to negotiate such landscapes (seascapes?)But now you know why the Bolero’s my favourite vehicle to drive. “Jaguar gets stuck in Mumbai floods: Mahindra Bolero drives through like a BOSS “

Quote:
Mumbaikars struggled to travel after heavy rains hit the city again, but one video of a luxury sedan stranded in water while a jeep whizzes past is getting laughs out of people on the internet.

A video going that has taken social media by storm shows a Jaguar stranded in a flooded underpass at Airoli in Navi Mumbai. But an Indian-made SUV zips past despite the flooding and gets to the other side of the road without any incident.

As the video started circulating on the internet, many tagged Mahindra Chairman Anand Mahindra commending him on the Bolero. Many also pointed out that the luxury sedan had been developed for European roads and it was unfair to expect it to perform as well on Indian roads that face waterlogging and are filled with potholes.

Source: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/70987934.cms

Last edited by roby_dk : 5th September 2019 at 20:17.
Old 5th September 2019, 20:35   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mumbai rains halt Jaguar, Anand Mahindra wins Twitter with Bolero praise

For any sedan the water logging is quite severe as seen in this video. Be it a Jaguar or Toyota Camry or a Maruti SX all are at very high risk of getting water into their engines. But still the Bolero deserves marks for sturdiness.
V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 20:45   #3
BHPian

If it has to be between Mahindra and Jaguar I would have love to see a F-Pace rather than a sedan.
roby_dk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 21:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised that Mr. Mahindra has supported the act of Bolero driver, which in my view was risky and not be be publicly praised.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 22:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I am surprised that Mr. Mahindra has supported the act of Bolero driver, which in my view was risky and not be be publicly praised.
Or it shows the confidence that the person has on the vehicle plus the road (he might be a regular).
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 22:19   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Or it shows the confidence that the person has on the vehicle plus the road (he might be a regular).

Correct, I was crossing a similar stretch few days back where I was very well versed with the road and quite confident about my vehicle water wading capacity(800 mm).
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai rains halt Jaguar, Anand Mahindra wins Twitter with Bolero praise-screenshot_20190905_221706_com.simplemobiletools.gallery.jpg  

roby_dk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 22:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Clearly the Jag was way "beyond it's depth", probably the driver or owner thought he may be able to get away because it's so expensive and "must" be able to wade through that submerged subway when the traffic had stranded on either side. The Bolero did it like a "boss"! Rightfully so, Anand Mahindra has tweeted as a proud boss, if the Bolero would have towed the stranded Jag the picture would've been complete with full marks to the Bolero!
Durango Dude is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 23:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
if the Bolero would have towed the stranded Jag the picture would've been complete with full marks to the Bolero!
On the other hand the waves created by the Bolero made the Jag to 'fish tail' a bit
Guna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 10:47   #9
Team-BHP Support

I should remember to post videos of me overtaking supercars on foot in Bangalore traffic in the CBD area.

P.S. And become a quick-witted social-media savvy CEO, for the comparison to be fair.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th September 2019 at 10:50.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 13:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Also, read about Arujun Rampal commenting on Mercedes being stuck and asking users to drive Indian car. He says he was in Alto !

The rear view mirrors dont seem to be that of an Alto.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1_dixVF...eo_watch_again
Old 6th September 2019, 13:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post

The rear view mirrors dont seem to be that of an Alto.
Correct. You can also see the reflection of the chrome beading near the window line, which clearly tells it is some premium car.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 16:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

Jaguar is owned by TATA so probably Mr Mahindra took a dig at them . Anyways the driver probably was new to the car also may be to the area. He needn't have waded through so much water. There is also a way to go around that flooded area but he probably was not familiar with it and went ahead thinking it can make through. I think most expensive foreign cars have their air intakes closer to the ground.
Old 7th September 2019, 21:27   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

During adverse times, the less mutated and primitive species survive in most cases.

Take the case of roses. The gorgeous Hybrid T's to which most of the pedigreed varieties of roses belong, cannot survive the adverse weather conditions, especially the summers unless carefully nurtured and cared for. The floribundas which are "desi" survive such adversities better.

In the case of dogs, the foreign breeds find it tough to endure themselves during our extreme summers. They rush to the A.C. rooms and also bathrooms for comfort. Even during good weather, any ups and down in food intake upsets their tummy and they get indisposed. The mongrels survive such adversities and are better off under the fan at the most.

The Bolero has only come in 2001 but is nearly 100 % DESI. It has proved the centuries old adages as described above.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed