Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2019, 20:37   #1
BHPian

Delhi man surrenders Activa after police fines him Rs 23,000; Says scooter is cheaper than challan

Quote:
Ministry of Law and Justice under the Government of India has notified the recently passed new Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill, 2019. What this means is that there are fines for traffic violations which, for most of the cases, have become higher than before. As part of this, traffic violators are facing steeper challans than ever before. One such incident has recently come to life as Dinesh Madan, a resident of Delhi, was fined a challan worth Rs 23,000 by Gurugram Police for flouting several rules.

As per the challan receipt, the offences are:
  • Driving without license
  • Driving without a registration certificate
  • Driving without third party insurance
  • Violating air pollution
  • Driver without a helmet or turban
On being contacted, Madan said, “I am shocked and have not been able to sleep at night as it is not a small amount but a very big one. I was not carrying the documents with me and I told them (the police) that the documents are at home post which they asked me to have them brought over in 10 minutes. I informed that I am a resident of Delhi and we are near the Gurugram court, so how will I be able to get them? …Then they asked for my keys and said that it (Madan’s vehicle) is going to be impounded.”

The new bill is applicable from September 1, 2019, and will attract heavy penalties for traffic violators. The legislation was previously introduced in 2017 but couldn't pass the Rajya Sabha and lapsed with the dissolution of the 16th Lok Sabha. The 2019 Bill was tabled in both the houses by the Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways, Nitin Gadkari. The Bill aims to enforce stricter penalties for road traffic violations.

"As Madan was not wearing his helmet, he was stopped by the on-duty traffic personnel. He was unable to produce his documents, when asked. Hence, the challan was issued," the traffic police officer at the location said.
Madan left his scooter with the cops and has refused to pay the fine as yet, as according to him, the price of his second-hand scooter is hardly Rs 15,000.

Source: https://www.news18.com/amp/news/auto...n-2295621.html
roby_dk is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 20:57   #2
AWD
BHPian

re: Delhi man surrenders Activa after police fines him Rs 23,000; Says scooter is cheaper than challan

Its a very absurd logic that vehicle cost is lower than Challan amount. A violation also has the potential of landing up one in Jail. This way to escape law everyone could buy cheap two wheelers & keep evading law by saying that "look at the cost of the vehicle, its cheaper than the challan amount!" Simple answer to this is, if you cannot follow traffic rules, the vehicles are not for you. So if the man gives up his ride, I'd say good riddance from a road hazard.

Perhaps this was the only way to make people learn how to follow traffic rules & for the short period its been introduced, I can see it working already. Drivers could be spotted stopping well before the zebra crossings, waiting for green signals, wearing Helmets & Seat belts, etc. The Govt. under no pressure should succumb & roll back/decrease the amounts now. While keep a window open & when the amounts of challans decline to a certain level, they may decrease the amounts.

This is a good test case for other departments to follow suit, building by-laws violations, throwing garbage, spitting, open urination, Industrial pollution, Food adulteration, etc. The dream of swatch bharat can only be fulfilled in this way.
AWD is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 21:24   #3
BHPian

re: Delhi man surrenders Activa after police fines him Rs 23,000; Says scooter is cheaper than challan

Not having a helmet AND the necessary documents? Wow. As harsh as the 23 grand fine might seem like, it is clearly deserved.

However, it is to be seen if these new fine rates end in people committing less traffic infractions or an increase in underhanded corruption.
raystriker is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 21:53   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Among a large majority of our two wheeler riders and three wheeler drivers it is assumed by them that some rules are only for the cars and trucks and does not really apply to them - driving on the wrong side, jumping red signals, being the two main ones. I believe social media will publicize many such cases. This is the only language we Indians understand. Let the stick be laid long and hard. A few short term jail sentences will add to the flavour.
V.Narayan is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 00:30   #5
BHPian

I am quite happy that people are driving bit safely in NCR. My daily commute of 90kms let me witness the change. I am on road between 1-3 noon time then 11-12.30 night time. No red light jump even at late night hours. People driving within speed limits thanks to 3 speed cameras installed on my route. Even if someone is driving fast they are not touching triple digits. Wrong side driving still continues in Noida and few areas in Delhi. Bikers are wearing helmets even for short commutes at least in my vicinity.
roby_dk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 01:04   #6
BHPian

Stupid question: Does driving without documents mean not having a physical copy on you when caught or does it mean not being able to produce valid documents at all?

If my vehicle has a PUC certificate, but I dont have it on me in person but can go home and get it post getting caught, am I still penalized?
akshaymahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 02:45   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
If my vehicle has a PUC certificate, but I dont have it on me in person but can go home and get it post getting caught, am I still penalized?
It's understandable if one isn't carrying originals of a hard to procure document (Registration Card, for example), but why not keep other vehicle related documents (PUC & insurance, two obvious ones) with the vehicle at all times?

It's probably also a good idea to keep e-copies on one's smartphone or in the cloud for ready access in case one isn't in possession of paper copies. Admissibility varies with cops though.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th September 2019 at 02:50.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 06:30   #8
BHPian

Forget the papers, IMO, not wearing a helmet itself justifies the fine. 2 days back one of relatives on a motorcycle met with an accident. He wasn’t wearing helmet (pillion) and died because of head injury. We lost a caring and charming person. He is survived by 2 kids. Had we enforced such stringent laws all over the country, we wouldn’t have lost him. Anyway, that happened in a village where you have no concept of traffic cops/signals etc., and law enforcement is bleak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
It's probably also a good idea to keep e-copies on one's smartphone or in the cloud for ready access in case one isn't in possession of paper copies. Admissibility varies with cops though.
These days we got Digilocker (link) provided free of cost by Government. Authorised documents such DL, PUC, RC, Insurances, Aadhar etc., can be saved and accessed anywhere using a mobile application.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 6th September 2019 at 06:45.
Thermodynamics is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 09:26   #9
BHPian

Re: Delhi man surrenders Activa after police fines him Rs 23,000; Says scooter is cheaper than chall

The increase in fines will hopefully improve the way people treat self-drive cars and scooters. The operators would have to recover the fines from the people who had rented the vehicles, possibly even using legal help. That will either shut down the self drive providers or make people drive sensibly.
KL01toKA03 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 09:48   #10
BHPian

Re: Delhi man surrenders Activa after police fines him Rs 23,000; Says scooter is cheaper than chall

I am sure that headlines like these have their novelty due to the new rules. But I am appalled the way it is being reported. Check out the gem I came across. The reporter has given it an angle of unemployed youth etc.

https://www.news18.com/news/india/od...0-2296991.html

Also, Hope the cops/ govt has thought of a better way to manage all the impounded vehicles.
mac187 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 10:36   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
These days we got Digilocker (link) provided free of cost by Government. Authorised documents such DL, PUC, RC, Insurances, Aadhar etc., can be saved and accessed anywhere using a mobile application.
In the case of Insurance, only New India Assurance Co. Ltd. is there. Also we can't save PUC in Digilocker.

Quote:
It's understandable if one isn't carrying originals of a hard to procure document (Registration Card, for example), but why not keep other vehicle related documents (PUC & insurance, two obvious ones) with the vehicle at all times?
Read that even if we are not having PUC in hand, you can submit it to the court and the fine will be reversed.

Don't know if we can take the PUC within 24 hours(after getting caught) if we haven't don't have a PUC already.

---

Our rights: https://thelogicalindian.com/awarene...n-know-rights/
mithun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 10:43   #12
BHPian

Quote:

I do, both a photocopy and an e-copy. I am just curious how how these laws are supposed to be read.
Old 6th September 2019, 10:52   #13
BANNED

At the moment I am in Gurugram, the focus of such activity. Many people are not carrying papers, etc. and not wearing helmets. So in a way they are inviting this. Also, in rural areas the mobike is often insured when it is bought. The insurance is almost never renewed.

The culture will have to change.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 11:01   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
I do, both a photocopy and an e-copy. I am just curious how how these laws are supposed to be read.
Well, cops aren't always consistent so it gets difficult sometimes even if you're following the letter of the law as stated.

Usually, the only original I won't have at hand is the RC, and a word with the senior cop in the bunch mostly means common sense prevails. If I'm caught for a traffic violation, I don't argue unless I have evidence to prove otherwise.

P.S. A favorite of Bangalore cops is dodgy signal-jumping accusations. Dashcam to the rescue.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 11:15   #15
Team-BHP Support

It's appalling to see certain citizens complaining that the fines are too steep and exclaiming audaciously that the fines themselves cost more than the two wheeler they're riding! And you have various publications on social media stating that the fines are not feasible for the economically challenged people who utilize the road to commute on their personal transportation.

As long as you have all your documents in order and don't break the law, you're good!

Why don't people seem to understand that violating traffic rules is not a mandatory exercise?
suhaas307 is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed