Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you find Ola to be more expensive than Uber?
Yes 319 90.37%
No 34 9.63%
Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2019, 12:26   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why is Ola suddenly more expensive than Uber?

Yes, Ola is a expensive compared to Uber these days in Pune too. There is usually a 30 to 40 Rupees difference between the two for the same destination.

Strangely, Ola Auto is a little cheaper by 5-8 Rupees compared to Uber Auto. I am spending those ~2500 INR in my Ola wallet taking Ola autos as much as possible (I prefer Ola Auto over haggling with normal ones)
Old 11th September 2019, 13:28   #32
BHPian

I hardly use cabs, but off late during peak times the availability has been an issue! What happened to the government mandate of capping the surge pricing? Most of the times now a days the cab drivers don't accept rides after finding the destination and in couple of cases they have taken longer routes than specified in the maps!! Until government fixes the mass transport availability we are left at the mercy of cab aggregators!
Mafioso is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 13:35   #33
Senior - BHPian

It has been like that for as long as I can remember atleast in Chennai. Ola has always been costlier than Uber, but Ola have more cabs available compared to Uber and I find their maps to be better too. Another problem with Ola is that drivers purposefully cancel / don't accept rides (even on Sundays) which leads to an increase in pricing by artificially boosting demand. Probably something to do with the way their software works.
longhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 13:52   #34
BHPian

At any given point of time, I prefer Uber to Ola and my wife, the opposite . First of all, the User Experience of the Uber app is any day better than Ola. Simple settlements, easy availability, reasonable fares, and better drivers also contribute to that overall nice experience. Overall Uber guys are more professional. Second, my situation, my apartment is at the dead-end of the street and most of the times, the cab will be at the other side of the wall and I had to cancel and book another by adjusting the pin.
Old 11th September 2019, 13:57   #35
BHPian

Ola is expensive but available.
Being expensive and even more during high demand time, chances of getting Ola nearby is more than Uber.

Ola cars are in better condition. A prime cab is better maintained than Uber premier.
At the end of month, pocket is lighter with OLA.
If we compare the ride passes from the two, Uber is cheaper.
In Pune, Uber offers Rs. 99 ride pass for 45 days that discounts 10% for all go and premier rides.
With OLA, it’s 199 for pass for 30 days.
It offers 99 for first four kms for any cab and normal rates for more than four.
It is applicable to 20 rides.
Key point is max savings of rs 50 per ride.
Seems complex. There are other programs as well and seems cluttered(like the app)
The management guys are making best calculations to make sure OLA gets customer’s money.
Well, they are earning money but not the customer. IMHO latter is important in long run for business.

Last edited by procrastinator : 11th September 2019 at 14:18.
procrastinator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 14:28   #36
BHPian

When OLA Auto was introduced, the pricing used to be meter cost + 10 INR as convenience charge as Auto came to our house. But ever since the pricing strategy was changed to the likes of cars, even Autos have become too expensive. My father who used to be a OLA Auto regular has changed to Uber Auto since many months back. Don't know why we don't have any regulation for these private operators.
Old 11th September 2019, 14:33   #37

I completely agree, Ola is more expensive and not available most of the times during busy hours in Delhi and Bangalore where I use it. Lately I have stopped using Ola.

I wanted to use Ola as it is an Indian company, but unfortunately their service and customer care not up to mark, I felt they are more intrested in accumulating money. No harm in that as every business at the end of the day should run for a profit but not at the expense of your primary service. Ola has lost one customer for sure for now.

I still hope they will improve in near future, don't want an Indian company to fail.

Thanks, Abinash

Last edited by abinashnanda : 11th September 2019 at 14:42.
Old 11th September 2019, 14:55   #38
BHPian

Ola is any day expensive and they hardly have discount offers too. I always do a quick check in Google maps to compare prices before starting the journey and 8 out of 10 times end up taking Uber.

Uber autos are rare to find though, Ola auto always shows up and availability is excellent, unfortunately, priced on par with cabs most of the times.
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 16:53   #39
BHPian

A pro-tip for Mumbaikars. Try using the kali-peeli Taxi option on OLA. It gives you an option to select with AC or without AC. With AC works to almost similar rates as Uber or a bit less. Being a kali-peeli, availability is more.
This was noticed, after I had almost given up on OLA due to higher fares.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 17:05   #40
BHPian

Uber is always better than ola in coimbatore too, when it comes to pricing / service / attitude. Number of cars available is higher in Ola. Prime and above, ola though costly, service is at par with uber. Also, nowadays, straight away ola guys asks if its cash/ola money and refuse to come if its via ola money/wallet.
Old 11th September 2019, 17:26   #41
BHPian

In Bangalore, I have found Ola to be always expensive than Uber - anywhere between 10% to 30%. So, I always use Uber plus their availability in my location (South Bangalore) is far higher / better compared to Ola. For autos, Ola Auto is the best and reasonable.
palsaumik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 17:44   #42

I have observed the same, only time Ola is cheaper is non-rush hours.

I also believe that Uber uses previous user riding trends etc. and shows different prices to different users at very same time and for the same pickup and drop.

Have compared many times with my friend who uses Uber extensively (I use sparsely), standing at same location and entering same drop results in 10-20% higher fare for me (for long distances).

I thought of it as a fluke before, but saw 'Netflix's The Uber Story' and realised it is very much possible seeing the lengths to which they have gone before.
AkshayA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 17:48   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
A pro-tip for Mumbaikars. Try using the kali-peeli Taxi option on OLA. It gives you an option to select with AC or without AC. With AC works to almost similar rates as Uber or a bit less. Being a kali-peeli, availability is more.
This was noticed, after I had almost given up on OLA due to higher fares.
I guess this would be available more only from Bandra and Beyond (towards Churchgate) right ?
Old 11th September 2019, 18:25   #44

I have been living in Mumbai since 2014 and rarely used cabs initially since I drive to office. I have had not so pleasant experiences with Ola earlier in Delhi and Bangalore (cab booked but didn't show up / cab reached so late, missed my flight). My usage of cabs is limited to about 3-4 times in a month for airport drops and occasional visit to Shri Siddhivinayak temple. Nine out of ten times, I must have used Uber because of the lower cost and also because Ola just keeps pestering you to use its wallet and recharge with non-stop notifications. If you have a credit card linked to your Uber account, it is only when you book the next ride, it asks you to pay for the last one. I just searched for a ride to home from office and as always, Ola pricing is way higher!
Attached Thumbnails
Why is Ola suddenly more expensive than Uber?-screenshot_20190911180442.jpg  

Why is Ola suddenly more expensive than Uber?-screenshot_20190911180407.jpg  

shivendravats is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 20:16   #45
BHPian

Ola / Uber are two different sides of the same coin.

On the 4th of September i had to go to take 2 trips . One from Nariman Point to Juhu Lane at 4 pm. At 2 pm, I checked Ola it showed 900 rupees so i switched over to Uber. I checked Uber it showed 800 rupees but when i scheduled my trip earlier than normal it showed me a range of 300-600 i scheduled a micro.

I was called and told to come down as the Uber driver was on the way, after waiting down for 15 mins i realised that the driver had cancelled my trip and then the next one did the same and then the next as well. After waiting downstairs and entertaining multiple calls from drivers asking me where i wanted to go one of them finally turned up and took me to my destination. It took us 1hour 40 mins as roads were empty due to rains, we reached and i asked for the fare, it was Rs 1090 !!!!!. I asked him why he had no idea, i checked the email received it had surge pricing of Rs. 650/- !!!!!

Anyways i paid up and left.

On my way back i checked Ola first and got a quote of Rs. 600/- at 11 pm. I tried Uber again, it showed me 285 - 350/- i pressed book micro and waited. One driver called and said he was 5 mins away so i came down. After waiting i checked my phone, he had cancelled the trip and then the next and then the next. Fed up and frustrated i cancelled and then i get this stupid alert which i had got in afternoon as well that if you cancel this trip then you will incur a cancellation charge. How is that even fair when the passenger wants to go but Uber drivers keep cancelling and bouncing you off ?

Anyways i got into a rickshaw till Bandra, took a black and yellow home to south mumbai and it was still cheaper than Ola about Rs. 350/-.

Realised that private car far outweighs ola / uber, never again.
M00M is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks