Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will the steep traffic fines deter traffic offenders?
Yes 409 88.91%
No 51 11.09%
Voters: 460. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2019, 08:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Will the steep new traffic fines deter traffic offenders?

From September 1, 2019, the New Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill came into force with steep fines for traffic offences. Along with increasing the fines for existing offences, the bill added other offences like not providing way for emergency vehicles and offences by juveniles. It is reported that India signed the Brasilia declaration and has committed to reducing the number of road fatalities by half by 2022. The new increased fines could be a step taken to meet this target. The new fines are listed below:

Driving without license - Rs. 5,000
Driving despite disqualification - Rs. 10,000
Overspeeding - Rs. 1,000
Dangerous driving - Rs. 5,000
Drunken driving - Rs. 10,000
Racing - Rs. 5,000
No seatbelt - Rs. 1,000
Overloading two-wheeler - Rs. 2,000
No helmet - Rs. 1,000
Not providing way for emergency vehicles - Rs. 10,000
Driving without insurance - Rs. 2,000
Offences by juveniles - Rs. 25,000

Will the steep new traffic fines deter traffic offenders?-firstdayofnewmotorvehiclesactdelhigetsnearly4000challans5.jpg

However, with reports that some motorists have been fined tens of thousands of rupees, there have been mixed reactions from the public and the media regarding these fines. While some support the new fines, some are against it. Some states like Gujarat are also against the new higher fines.

On one hand, it is argued that the implementation of monetary fines act as a deterrent and helps bring down the number of violations. It is said that once the municipal corporation in Mumbai announced a fine of Rs. 10,000 for parking no-parking zones, the number of cases of illegal parking has come down drastically. With the higher fines, people will think twice about jumping a signal or riding without a helmet. Stricter implementation will also ensure that motorists follow the rules even when a traffic constable is not present. Stricter penalties are expected to ensure that people drive in a disciplined manner, which could reduce the number of road fatalities by half. Seeing other friends or family pay a hefty fine is also expected to deter motorists from violating the traffic rules. For a family which loses a loved one or which lives with a member incapacitated by an accident, their life changes forever. These high penalties could help reduce the number of accidents. Strict implementation is also required. Some motorists who violate the rules in India follow it in other countries because they know they can't get away paying a bribe.

On the other hand, some claim that such steep fines will only affect the poor, and will not deter the rich from committing violations. It is claimed that strategic placement of boards with pictures of policemen also act as a deterrent and that non-monetary fines like penalty points on the license could be more effective than monetary penalties. Some say that high fines as a punishment will not help, but we instead have to find the root cause of the problem, which is the Indian mindset and the 'chalta hai' attitude. The new fines are comparable to the fines in other countries, but developed countries have a higher per capita income than India and that the fines are not proportional to the crime. In some cases, these are traffic violations and not major crimes. Fines can be equal to more than the value of the vehicle and it may be devastating to the motorist. It is felt that the fines should have gradually been increased instead of a sudden increase as it is now. Some offences like 'dangerous driving' are not clearly defined and is left to the discretion of the traffic policemen. This could affect innocent drivers while the traffic policemen look to increase their collection. There are said to be better ways of improving road safety like automated speed management system, increased police checks, traffic management system and better infrastructure.

Its not just some motorists and media who are against the implementations of such high fines. Even some states are hesitant in implementing the new rules. Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Telangana, Rajasthan, Punjab, West Bengal and Delhi are said to have deferred the implementation of the act. Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Punjab have said that the fines are too excessive, while Gujarat has referred the issue to the Regional Transport Office. It is reported that the Madhya Pradesh transport minister is okay with the fines for drunk driving, while the Rajasthan transport minister feels that the fines could increase corruption. The Punjab transport minister says that the fines would burden the people. In Hyderabad, the government is conducting an awareness campaign to inform the motorists of the new penalties and West Bengal has only partially implemented the act. While it is reported that Delhi has not yet implemented the new rules, the number of traffic challans issued is said to have reduced by 70%. Karnataka is also said to have reduced the traffic fines.

Source: 1, 2, 3, 4
ChiragM is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 08:37   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Will the steep new traffic fines deter traffic offenders?

Voted YES.

What solved the drunk driving problem in Mumbai? Overnight? Jail time - related thread.

On the wide-open Bandra-Worli Sealink, 99% of cars drive at the speed limit of 80 kmph. Reason? Strict enforcement via speeding cameras.

At many junctions in Bombay, you suddenly saw cars lining up nicely, before the zebra crossing. Reason? CCTV e-challans - related thread (Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide).

Policy Bazaar reported that it's seen a 300% increase in insurance orders. Reason? Stiff fines for driving / riding without insurance.

Stiff fines & rigorous enforcement is the only way to achieve road traffic discipline. We all love the well-behaved traffic conditions in developed countries, but forget the steep penalties for breaking rules there. Example, a speeding ticket is between $250 - 500 in California.
GTO is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 08:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Voted 'YES'.

If not totally, but to some extent at least and something is better than nothing. We are a bunch of population, too egoistic to listen to anyone without a stick. We blame cabbies, delivery boys et al forever but truth is even so-called educated-white-collar job holding folks pay no heed to the rules unless there's a cop standing. Just like drink-drive reports came down a bit after the stringent law, this should further help. Bigger the fear of loss(financial hit here), better the compliance. I do notice more people with a lid on nowadays.

And all that argument about poor people can't afford such hefty fines, well simple solution is to stay within the rules. If you can afford a 50k bike(or even a second hand for 20k), you can always buy a helmet worth 700 bucks. And a traffic signal sign doesn't look for rich or poor, they go red/orange/green for everyone. Agreed infrastructure should be improved and am totally critical about the pathetic road conditions but that doesn't give me the right to break law. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by SoumenD : 16th September 2019 at 08:55.
SoumenD is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 08:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yes!

But, I think there is a problem lurking behind.
There are many issues with road signage and design (illogical speed limits, speed limit changes in short distances, no stop lines etc. etc.) which is already and will lead to many more motorists getting undeservedly fined, and heavily!

How many days until we see some sort of an (illegal) response kicking in?
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 09:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Even some states are hesitant in implementing the new rules. Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Telangana, Rajasthan, Punjab, West Bengal and Delhi are said to have deferred the implementation of the act.
And just when I was seeing a change for the better, this!

Yesterday morning at 5.45am, I was shocked to see people patiently waiting at a red signal. Usually, no one stops here and when I stop, I get honked at.

This just proves that people can do better, just that they need the right kind of motivation. And what better than steeper fines?

Last edited by blackwasp : 16th September 2019 at 09:40.
blackwasp is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 09:49   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I think this is a great move to improve the driving culture in our country. I am already seeing a change for the better. I have to admit even I am guilty of not bothering to keep the PUC certificate updated after the mandated intervals and over the last week have been among the people queuing up at the local PUC test centre. I saw so many people coming and asking the guy at the counter to get them an insurance policy. "Just get me the min policy that is required to meet the cop's requirement" was a phrase I heard so many times. Goes to show how many motorists are driving round without, not just the PUC certificates, but also insurance policies.

Even at traffic signals I saw two wheelers lining up neatly at the stop line and not scooting ahead without any fear. I overheard one of them saying "Those cameras are watching, do you want to pay that huge fine?"

I just hope the states don't dilute it just for polictical gains. And our great news channels are going around interviewing the aam junta and portraying it as if it is causing great hardships to people and how it is anti poor. Why can't they simply follow the rules and avoid paying the fines??
Santoshbhat is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 09:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Remember those ATM queues during the week of Demonetisation? The same kind of queues (but with vehicles) is there at every PUC centers. All the helmet shops are overcrowded. The Way people started inquiring about insurance, it was shocking to see so many people (even In my friends' groups) was using their vehicles without insurance.

Funny Memes are getting shared on social media with new rules. People are shuddering about it. However, As GTO mentioned, people started complying with new rules. And that's a positive sign.

Voted Yes!
SJM1214 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 10:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Voted yes.

Yesterday I was waiting to cross the road at the traffic junction near commercial street, when the light turned yellow, a auto stopped immediately at the zebra crossing only for a cab driver to honk at the auto, the auto driver come out and confronted the cab driver saying "I am not jumping the signal, if you want you jump, they will fine you 1000/-"

A clear change in the mindset of the people is visible.

While I do understand some of the fines are high, the ones for drunk driving, wrong way driving, one way driving, jumping signals should not be reduced as these are the ones which cause most accidents.
speedmiester is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 10:26   #9
BHPian

Voted Yes. Big changes always require strong reforms, bordering to arm-twisting in some cases. Look at any random road in any Indian city and you will see indiscipline. We need to have strong fines, which are properly enforced to get the crowd in order.
The same guy will follow all traffic rules while abroad but break all rules in India, the reason being, our fines weren't steep and the enforcement isn't perfect. If these two work seamlessly together, we are definitely headed to less chaotic roads.
drive2eternity is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 10:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Voted yes!!

I find this whole argument of the fines being too steep and not willing to harass public- that some state governments are using, to be quite amusing to put it mildly.

No sirs, the public is not being harassed.
You know what? It is not even mandatory to pay these fines.

All you need to do is - Follow the rules!!!

vibbs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 11:56   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Super happy! Carrot and stick is the only way to go about it globally. Here, we may need a bigger stick than usual of course.

Apart from the usual lawbreakers like autos, cabbies etc, they MUST make solid examples of middle class 'educated' folks who (in BLR at least) routinely break many rules in their rush to reach school or office. We should not consider ourselves to be above the law just because we can speak English and are better dressed than others.

In my mind at least, our crimes are WORSE than other less enlightened road users.
itwasntme is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 12:05   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted a big YES in caps and bold :-). The reactions of some States is worse than pathetic - pandering to the lowest common denominator of their political vote bank. I would say give the traffic cops a bonus on the fines collected - unconventional - can be misused - but it will bring all this wrong way driving and signal jumping to a screeching halt.
V.Narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 12:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

I saw some interesting memes on FB which said something like 'To those who are opposing the heavy penalties, not committing the violation is an option available and paying fine is not mandatory'
Guna is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 12:31   #14
BHPian

I could not find a "Can't say" option so voted for Yes. The traffic situation has not changed much in areas where i visit. Most members who voted yes ( including me ) are probably over optimistic city dwellers. However, a step in the right direction. We are yet to see the feedback from hinterlands where such laws have no effect. I don't even know if there are traffic cops there. Much is left to chance and there is always the " what do you want ?. 100 or 1000?" factor.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 12:34   #15
BANNED

A big YES!!

If not, there won't be so much "hullabaloo" on increase in traffic fines.

But the law should depict the reality. A small example, on day one of application of law, in Bhubaneswar suddenly, everyone realized that majority of PUC centers operated without proper license from RTO (no one from authority ever cared to check them before). So, 90% of vehicles (with PUC from such fraud centers) were liable to pay fine of 5000/-.
Next morning, thousands of vehicles started queuing in front of those handful of legal centers making it an utter chaos and traffic cops were happy catching those vehicles who had PUC from invalid centers and collecting fines.

So, I got to internet and tried searching for any link that guides me to a list of valid PUCs in city, as expected got 0 results.

Are those unsuspecting law abiding citizens who are cheated by corrupt official and some fraud PUC centers liable to punishment? Legally yes, but?

Last edited by PetrolRider : 16th September 2019 at 12:36.
PetrolRider is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks