Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2019, 12:41   #16
BHPian

Re: How to handle rash & negligent drivers in apartment complexes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post

1. Visitor management system - Our apt started a digital management system recently. This is probably one of the most easiest ways of managing visitor/vendor vehicles in an apartment. The system provides an entry time and also alerts the security on how long the vehicle/visitor is present in the apartment complex.

Can you let me know the digital management system details? Would be useful if we can achieve that much.
Old 15th September 2019, 13:48   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey View Post
Can you let me know the digital management system details? Would be useful if we can achieve that much.
Apartmentadda.com for example has a very comprehensive system that covers everything from billing and maintenance onwards. This is one of the modules in there.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2019, 16:17   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Apartmentadda.com for example has a very comprehensive system that covers everything from billing and maintenance onwards. This is one of the modules in there.
That's correct. We use mygate for our apt complex. Helps a lot in not just managing visitors but also daily help as well
Old 15th September 2019, 17:24   #19
BHPian

We are using a similar app called apnacomplex. They claim it has a QR based vehicle tracking. That is an option though. Thanks folks.
Old 15th September 2019, 17:43   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

In our apartment complex, we have managed to ensure that people drive carefully within complex walls. There is strict enforcement of fines for speeding, public shaming on WhatsApp and Google groups, and Lifetime bans for drivers caught misbehaving (which ensures that residents too drive carefully). We have not been able to ensure perfect parking discipline - there are cars without parking stickers parked by residents in either their own lots or in vacant ones, but the building has surplus parking (very unusually for Bombay), and that has not been a priority issue for the Managing Committee to take up so far.
Old 16th September 2019, 13:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
In our apartment complex, we have managed to ensure that people drive carefully within complex walls. There is strict enforcement of fines for speeding, public shaming on WhatsApp and Google groups, and Lifetime bans for drivers caught misbehaving (which ensures that residents too drive carefully). We have not been able to ensure perfect parking discipline - there are cars without parking stickers parked by residents in either their own lots or in vacant ones, but the building has surplus parking (very unusually for Bombay), and that has not been a priority issue for the Managing Committee to take up so far.

Hayek, Can you share the details? Rules, speed limits, fines... This will help us frame similar for our society. The builder has cheated us on a few things, he has not provided space for adequate visitor parking. I'm told that it is mandatory to allocate 10% of parking space for visitor parking. Also builder has sold parking space blocking the water hydrants for fire fighting.
Old 16th September 2019, 15:21   #22
BHPian

My apartment complex in Pune is not so big, 3 buildings with 116 flats in total.
We have mygate app for visitor/ access management.
Strict one way rule in the drive way that loops across all 3 buildings and the security is very vigilant in enforcing this.
Rumblers placed strategically ensure there is no over speeding.
Safety convex mirrors installed at all turns and parking ramp exits.

In general, the security personnel stationed at each building and also at exit ensure people follow the rules and adhere to parking correctly.
There are no fines as such but since it is a small community and most people know most people so people want to avoid being publicly shamed.

I also feel the rule should not intrude into some ones rights to his own property.
Our society also has dedicated visitor parking but our own flat has 2 separate dedicated/ allotted car parking. Once our relatives had come over for a few days and I did not want their car to stay in the uncovered visitor parking while our own spare parking was vacant, but the security was adamant that visitor has to park only in the visitor parking.
I explained to them that the car will be parked in my own extra parking, but soon realized there was no point arguing with them. (They were just doing what they were told by the society management). Called up the chairman and explained and also put across my point that it is up to me and not the society to allow someone visiting me to park in my own parking or not.

Another time a flat owner with a Kawa Z900 with an akrapovic exhaust used to have a gala time revving off his engine to glory usually after midnight coming back from his weekend party. Happened 2-3 consecutive weekends. Some not so nice words were used for him in the whatsapp group from people who woke up due to his circus.
I also pitched in with some chosen words, and it never happened again.

Last edited by ishan12 : 16th September 2019 at 15:27.
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 16:26   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
There are no fines as such but since it is a small community and most people know most people so people want to avoid being publicly shamed.
Curious about how fines work in an apartment society. What is the legal aspect to this? Am not saying there is no need for regulation, but since I've never lived in an apartment complex, was wondering about how regulation happens? Are building societies or RWAs legally allowed to enforce any rules? Let alone collect fines?
Old 16th September 2019, 16:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Curious about how fines work in an apartment society. What is the legal aspect to this? Am not saying there is no need for regulation, but since I've never lived in an apartment complex, was wondering about how regulation happens? Are building societies or RWAs legally allowed to enforce any rules? Let alone collect fines?
If the society is registered under the relevant act in the state where it is based, and if the society bylaws allow the charging of fines, yes, this is allowed. However like anything else you can challenge it in court, but the lawyers on either side will end up making more than the fine amount, goes without saying.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 19:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
They can but to residents who are the members of the society

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
If the society is registered under the relevant act in the state where it is based, and if the society bylaws allow the charging of fines, yes, this is allowed. However like anything else you can challenge it in court, but the lawyers on either side will end up making more than the fine amount, goes without saying.
Bylaws are only for the members, does not apply to visitors and/or taxi etc. Once we stopped an Uber for rash driving inside the apartment and he refused to pay. Apart from wasting his time and arguing, there is nothing one could do.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 09:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
They can but to residents who are the members of the society

Bylaws are only for the members, does not apply to visitors and/or taxi etc. Once we stopped an Uber for rash driving inside the apartment and he refused to pay. Apart from wasting his time and arguing, there is nothing one could do.
In which case you fine the resident or owner concerned. The Uber or Visitor is there at his or her invitation and if they misbehave, that is on the resident concerned.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 11:25   #27
BHPian

You could consider installing simple radar-based Speed indicator signs, you may be able to interface them CCTV to capture images of vehicles who violate housing society rules.

https://www.indiamart.com/logixits/r...eed-signs.html
https://trafficlogix.in/2-digit-radar-signs/
Old 19th September 2019, 12:04   #28
BHPian

I've stayed for prolonged periods in the latest generation apartment blocks in Hong Kong. Once you get off the Metro and the public roads, no vehicle traffic is encountered, even if you need to get to the recreational areas, or restaurants, or shops, or schools, or hospitals, which occupy different levels of the multi block 60 floor complexes. Security controlled access to the residential floors. Going to and fro from the parking levels, which were sparse and utilitarian, required passing through several glass doors and elevators. Very little chances of vehicles and pedestrians, especially children, clashing.

On the other hand, I've also stayed in WASP (white Anglo Saxon Protestant!) neighbourhoods in the 'burbs in the US, and they were also behind in providing solutions to bad vehicle pedestrian interfacing. It was not uncommon to hear of children, eager to greet "Daddy", being hurt, when they ran out on hearing his approaching vehicle, as it swung in from the road into the remote control door fitted two car garage.
Old 19th September 2019, 15:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Some things should be strictly prohibited.
1. Driving with high beams
2. Honking
3. Driving above speed limit (20 kmph)
4. Parking on others, spot.
5. Kids driving

Person should be given couple of polite warnings before any action is taken.
Action could be taking away the parking stop given to the vehicle for a month as fine. If they still break the rules, use of Jammers is a good deterrence.

You don't want to make rules to create an annoyance, but to reduce it.
oxyzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 15:46   #30
BHPian

Well this was in our bungalow colony consisting of some 20 houses. One of the owners sold his bungalow to a builder and the new residents moved in some 2 years later.

One of these residents was a trader having couple of shops in Marketyard area. He used to drive a Maruti 800 but the minute he left the apartment, he used to gun it. Kept on accelerating till he reached the main road. This apartment building was on the last plot and the distance from there till the road was some 500 ft and all the bungalows opened on this internal road.

Soon - a couple of months later - we had a big society get together in which we hosted a variety program plus some competitions. We took this opportunity to rib this new guy at every announcement referring to his driving style and lack of social awareness. I mean he was a family guy and even his children were playing on the road when he zoomed past.

Fortunately the comments made in front of everyone hit home and the guy changed his driving at least in the society premises. So public shaming without calling him out or humiliating him worked for us. All said and done there is only so much one can do and hope that it doesn't take an unfortunate incident for those responsible to mend their ways.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks