Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2019, 14:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Odd-even scheme back in Delhi post Diwali from November 4-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
If yes, why doesn't he enforce ban on firecrackers and kill the source of sound and air pollution?
Several lakhs employed in the firecracker industry will go out of jobs, so we have to keep bursting.

On a serious note, yes, firecrackers is the elephant in the room(or air?); crop burning results in CO2 and particulate emission which isn't as harmful to the lungs as the smoke from crackers.
ramzsys is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 17:45   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Hybrid cars to be exempted from odd-even scheme in Delhi.

Quote:
As in the past, CNG vehicles, electric vehicles and hybrid vehicles among certain other category of vehicles would be exempted from the scheme
Link
Old 14th September 2019, 18:32   #18
BANNED

I hear Ladies driving a car may also be exempt. So get your wife to take you to work. Unfortunately all our three cars are Even, so we cannot swap cars around, otherwise living in Gurugram it will be a very valid option.

Apparently, this is not required since pollution is down by a third.
Old 14th September 2019, 18:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

You're right, the doctor is amputating the wrong foot. I would suggest Delhi to quickly ramp up to electric. A 100%. Human lives are at stake here and Government needs to move at a war footing. Firecrackers and crop burning are absolute 'no no'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
I'm just so sick and tired of this guy. I can't stand him anymore. What is the rationale behind this move? Is it because he is anticipating higher level of pollution post diwali?
Sebring is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 21:33   #20
BHPian

I suggest people find out the effects of the odd-even trial themselves, instead of spewing nonsense and regurgitating incorrect facts that they've heard from someone else.
Here's a good paper to educate yourself with- https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...313124#abs0020

Personally, I think we need to do everything in our power to possibly offset all the hurt that is coming the way of Delhiites. It's difficult to prevent people from bursting firecrackers simply because there are too many people. And unlike humans, cars have to ply on the road and their movement can be restricted with relative ease.

Last edited by raystriker : 14th September 2019 at 21:37.
raystriker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 00:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

If it's for a week a year it's fine, maybe twice a year. But this as a permanent or frequent solution is not acceptable.

We pay a lot of amount for buying the car specially if its on EMI. Then we pay Road Tax for 15 years, even though diesel is allowed for 10 years. Now if we have to add 1300 rupees everyday for say a week a month for Uber/Ola for to an fro from office then that adds to 80,000 annually more If it's an emergency, then I cant use the car if it's not on the particular day. Best part, I cant use it for weekend trips because I will be going on a even day and coming back on odd or vice versa. Also I have to be back by midnight if I use the car because anyways after that public transport is scarce and post midnight I may be fined.

The problem is rules and laws are implemented without thinking twice about it. Odd Even, Diesel 10 yrs, sun films, etc. Someone puts in a PIL or suggestion and it's implemented. No one thinks about how this affects 99% percent of the remaining population. And when it's a verdict/band aid from the highest judicial office directly, there is no one else to go to.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 17th September 2019 at 00:16.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 15:19   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raystriker View Post
I suggest people find out the effects of the odd-even trial themselves, instead of spewing nonsense and regurgitating incorrect facts that they've heard from someone else.
Here's a good paper to educate yourself with- https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...313124#abs0020

Personally, I think we need to do everything in our power to possibly offset all the hurt that is coming the way of Delhiites. It's difficult to prevent people from bursting firecrackers simply because there are too many people. And unlike humans, cars have to ply on the road and their movement can be restricted with relative ease.
Thank you!
I was just about to post the very same paper on the thread!
I agree that this is not a full-fledged approach we should be expecting from the government but a half-way approach is better than nothing at all. People torment the poor guy without even understanding the crux of the matter.

You say you can't use your cars to the fullest?
I say you don't need to use the vehicle daily to use it to the fullest. Try other methods to go to work and other places once in a while. Try car-pooling for a change. Use public transportation for a change.

You say this won't drop the pollution levels?
I say it will. Just wait and watch. Even single-digit drops are a relief to the daily lives.

He could, in fact, try something similar to what was done in Beijing around four years back. Banning all four-wheelers for a full two weeks. That would really rip-up our daily life but at least we'd be doing something to help the environment (something beneficial for us ) I've been looking at China's vehicle laws and it's great to see that they hold a raffle draw kind-of system at their "RTOs" to provide car registration - a perfect way to curb the increasing no of vehicles in their country. There is so much we can learn from them in this regard.

I'm not here to spew anger on people but I think it's time we try to take steps to improve the environment.

Last edited by aah78 : 17th September 2019 at 20:33. Reason: Spacing.
SubodhRage is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 19:57   #23
BHPian

Intention looks good but we lack public transport system like Europe/China.
Bangalore tried to reduced traffic and pollution by introducing more buses on road on bus day. Due to poor last mile connectivity and rude behavior of auto guys not much difference was observed.
Unless we have proper last mile connectivity and safety issues solved asking people not driving may have negative impact.

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/71158795.cms
lrsays is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 20:08   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
No one thinks about how this affects 99% percent of the remaining population.
Spot on. At the workplace and everywhere else, I always try to avoid creating blanket rules to address a problem created by a minor few, when the rule negatively impacts the entirety of the population. And yet, time and again our public policy makers penalize entire populations because some *fill in your favorite cuss word* decided to break the law/do something bad.

This kind of knee jerk policy making needs to stop.
Old 17th September 2019, 20:18   #25
BHPian

I don't think the government has any other options apart from implementing the odd-even scheme. Any other solution would be too costly- for the gov and/or the people.

The only solution for Delhi's problems (that I can think of) is going full electric for as many vehicles as possible- Have one/multiple electric car/s with good range (like the Kona EV) for all general purpose driving in the city. Have one ICE car for emergencies and in the case you want to go for long trips. Replace every public transport with EV versions that'll last one full day of use. And lastly, every 2 wheeler should be electric too.

Sounds unrealistic, right? EVs aren't cheap and the public/private infrastructure isn't there yet. Not to mention the general lack of planned space.

The public will have to pay for it one way or the other- through tax or out of pocket or with their health.
---
You might see this scheme as a nuisance, and it probably is. But it's a step towards increasing the quality of your life and your children's.

Last edited by raystriker : 17th September 2019 at 20:29.
raystriker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 08:04   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Why is odd-even just restricted to private residential cars and not to anything else? This odd-even scheme looks more like an idiotic TRP scheme than anything else.
Absolutely agree, given that women drivers and two-wheelers may be exempted again.
This means that you can't drive your perfectly maintained BS4 car, but an ill maintained 2-stroke scooter is free to belch out smoke in full glory.
Old 18th September 2019, 09:57   #27
BHPian

It is heartening to see a lot of NCR based BHPians like me who feel that something needs to be done and it all needs to start somewhere.

I applaud the political parties which realise the problem and are ready to do something about it, even though it may hurt their potential voters in the short-run.

All of us living in Delhi know how bad is that time of the year and this man is using all his will and power to bring many steps, including odd-even in place to do something about it, which is his JOB.

I have 4 odd cars at home with 3 people travelling to work daily with no access to convenient metro routes. Even then, I appreciate that at least someone who is capable of doing something about the pollution is actually trying to do so!
AGwagon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 11:55   #28

Food for thought:

I believe that even a reduction of 10-15% of the vehicles on road would result in a huge improvement in traffic.

Big improvement in traffic smoothness means the same car would be polluting much lesser.
Last time it happened, my travel time to office by road got reduced from 1 Hour to 40 Minutes one way to and fro.
That is straight reduction in pollution from my vehicle by 33%.

I know it is very difficult to measure the impact and vehicular pollution is not the only issue.

Personally, looking at the condition of Delhi's AQI during winters, I am ready to accept anything that makes things better even by 10%
Old 19th September 2019, 11:42   #29
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Its easy to point fingers and say at least something is being done! While that something is in a completely wrong direction. Taking a morally higher ground to justify stupidity and show others down for increasing pollution.

What is fact is that many people who justify the scheme are not inconvenienced as much as some others are and in fact benefited by reduction in traffic.

I have other such suggestions, which will help pollution much more by affecting less people, like banning sale of diesels completely, along with prohibition on plying diesel cars in NCR immediately and there should be no restriction on sale of the current cars to other states, where they are not banned. Vehicular pollution (specifically particulate matter) will come down significantly while affecting fewer people.

There is no sense in this scheme stopping BS-IV petrol cars to ply, when the particulate pollution is a from diesels and poorly maintained two-wheeler.

This culture of banning things and not actually doing anything to solve the issue has kept India where it is in the world of innovation, because we shy away from doing hard work of complying with pollution norms but are happy with the hardship of not having a car.

What has NCR done to encourage electric vehicles or even dissuade diesels?

We can all grow our own vegetables and live happily ever after!
SLK is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 15:16   #30
Senior - BHPian

If the vehicle sale has plunged by nearly 35%, the impact on pollution should shart appearing ! Thats' on the lighter note.

Another thing should be kept in mind is that violation this time will fall in a special category and instead of challan of INR 2k, the challan would be INR 20k.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th September 2019 at 09:02. Reason: Typos
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed