Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2019, 12:25   #1
Team-BHP Support

Odd-even scheme back in Delhi post Diwali from November 4-15

Odd - Even returns from Nov 4 - Nov 15.

Damn, both my cars are now even !

Last edited by Eddy : 14th September 2019 at 10:59.
Eddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 12:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days. EDIT: Rd 3 from 13th Nov - Now Cance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

Now both my cars are even !
Aha. I didn't see this coming.
Thankfully I have one each of odd and even
Old 13th September 2019, 12:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days. EDIT: Rd 3 from 13th Nov - Now Cance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

Now both my cars are even !
I didn't expect it would be back. Just bought a car this month and now both the cars are even
Altocumulus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 13:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days. EDIT: Returns on 4th November, 2019

Odd-even scheme back in Delhi post Diwali from November 4-15

Quote:
The Delhi government's odd-even scheme would be implemented in the capital city from November 4 to 15, announced Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal. Under the scheme, odd and even-numbered vehicles ply on alternate days from November 4 to 15. The Delhi CM, however, did not announce any exemptions planned in the scheme.

Arvind Kejriwal said the move was aimed at combating high levels of air pollution in winters when crop burning takes place in neighbouring states. This is the third time the Delhi government has implemented the odd-even scheme to keep a check on air pollution in the capital city.
News Source.
SJM1214 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 14:36   #5
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days. EDIT: Returns on 4th November, 2019

Sad state of affairs! but the majority is happy:
1) Two wheelers - exempted!
2) Metro users unaffected (they use metro because that is the most convenient way for them) - one office - metro station nearby
3) Many people with both odd/ even cars or CNG happy - with less traffic
4) Only affected are the ones with no car choices and who's work involves travelling through the day.

* pollution unaffected, because when people take out their unused cars and two wheelers, they pollute much more. Commercial vehicles still ply, even diesel buses and trucks (single biggest source of pollution)

Its sad that a part of population actually supports this, because of lack of understanding and sadist pleasures.
SLK is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 19:33   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Clash of views on the odd-even scheme.

Minister: No Need For Odd-Even Scheme In Delhi

Quote:
Now there is no such need (odd-even scheme) because the new ring road we have built is helping reduce pollution in Delhi to a certain extent. Besides, my ministry is pursuing road works of about Rs 50,000 crore. Cleaning of Yamuna and other works to curb pollution are also underway
But CM has a different view:
Quote:
the move was aimed at combating high levels of air pollution in winters when crop burning takes place in neighbouring states
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th September 2019 at 19:36.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 04:59   #7
BHPian

I read somewhere that this reduces pollution by barely 2-3 %. Thus the only benefit is reduced congestion, nothing else.
superbad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 10:35   #8
Team-BHP Support

Re: Odd-even scheme back in Delhi post Diwali from November 4-15

Odd-even scheme back in Delhi post Diwali from November 4-15 - Posts moved to a new thread.
Old 14th September 2019, 11:36   #9
BHPian

Why is odd-even just restricted to private residential cars and not to anything else? This odd-even scheme looks more like an idiotic TRP scheme than anything else.
searacer932 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 12:20   #10
BHPian

Now RTO may make money by selling customized odd or even numbers based on buyers preference.

I don't get it why implement it only for 15 days? Will it cause significant impact in reducing pollution levels?
I'm sure there'll be other fine points like last time which exempted cars with lady driver and children, hybrids( Maruti smart hybrid also?) and electric cars.

(Slightly off topic) l had a doubt. Suppose I'm not from Delhi but I end up there with my non Delhi registered car during this odd/even drama, will it be applicable to me and my car also?

Last edited by Storm2.0 : 14th September 2019 at 12:21.
Old 14th September 2019, 13:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
Now RTO may make money by selling customized odd or even numbers based on buyers preference.

(Slightly off topic) l had a doubt. Suppose I'm not from Delhi but I end up there with my non Delhi registered car during this odd/even drama, will it be applicable to me and my car also?
In reality it's for 10 weekdays.
This is a stupid scheme which doesn't help whatsoever in reducing pollution. Its simply done for the vote bank purposes.
Anyways as I have both odd and even cars now so doesn't affect me anyhow and I welcome the somewhat less congestion in those 10 days

As for your question. As per previous implementations, yes, this rule is applicable to cars entering delhi from other states too.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 13:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

It will be interesting to do a study on what is the effect on pollution during the time this scheme is implemented and to study the number of vehicles on the road.

I have to get to work so i will UBER it and still be burning fuel.
Women will still be allowed to drive an ODD or an EVEN Car on those days, so they continue to pollute.
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 13:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Odd-even alone can't solve air pollution problem in Delhi. Here is a report - As Delhi Readies for Odd-Even Comeback, Will Scheme Improve Air Quality? Data Tells a Different Story

Quote:
While the Delhi government hailed it as a huge success, several studies have said that the programme had very little or no impact in improving the air quality of the national capital.

According to a News18.com analysis of air quality data for the second and third-round of the scheme (April, 2016 and November, 2017) accessed from Berkeley Earth, a California based non-profit, shows that air quality in Delhi, in fact, deteriorated during the 'odd-even' program.

However, a 2017 study by professors/scientists from IIT Delhi, IIT Kanpur and Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology, Pune concluded that during January, 2016 run of the scheme PM 2.5 concentration in Delhi saw a decline of only 2-3 per cent.

“It can be concluded that restricting traffic volume alone cannot control the PM 2.5 concentration over Delhi, where there are multiple other sources of contributing towards making the city’s air dirty,” the study observed.

Last edited by airbus : 14th September 2019 at 13:56.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 14:16   #14
BHPian

I can see lots of people in our forum bashing the rule. The questions to be asked are:

1. Does it has any effects on air pollution? Even 2 to 3 percentage is fine.

2. Does it reduces the conjunction comparing to normal days?

3. Does it encourage common people to use public transportation?

If the answers for these questions are positive then the rule holds it's relevance.

Last edited by K_Drive : 14th September 2019 at 14:19.
K_Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 14:32   #15
BHPian

I'm just so sick and tired of this guy. I can't stand him anymore. What is the rationale behind this move? Is it because he is anticipating higher level of pollution post diwali? If yes, why doesn't he enforce ban on firecrackers and kill the source of sound and air pollution?

Why was there no odd-even last year when pollution was at peak? Is he doing this as he realizes he has become so irrelevant in Delhi politics that he needs to do something to hit the headlines, and what better to do than his signature good for nothing, unscientific, zero impact, pathetic torturing device for Delhiites?

Last edited by rovingeye : 14th September 2019 at 14:33.
rovingeye is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks