Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2010, 12:46   #331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
No wonder most of the pump guys cheat. See the kind of people who get licenses for pumps. The one's who have brother's like MPs and IGs.
This petroleum ministry must be the most corrupt I guess!
These guys dont get licenses, licenses are given to.
1. Freedom fighters
2. Defence category
3. Outstanding Sports person
4. SC/ST category
5. Physically handicapped
6. Open category (land to be provided by the Applicant)

When they get the bunk is when most of them are troubled by various dept, again and again over trivial issues and for people coming from such backgrounds it gets a bit too much and thats when these people pounce on the bunk and buy it off from them. ITs a vicious cycle.

And not all bunk Owners are Crooks and thugs, some do try to make an honest living in all this madness
Old 28th February 2010, 13:10   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
And not all bunk Owners are Crooks and thugs, some do try to make an honest living in all this madness
yes maybe the owner is honest but its the morons filling the fuel who are there to cheat you. Maybe these honest owner's bunks are where the complaint book works (don't see why it would work in a bunk where the owner itself is screwed up).

I still feel self service bunks could solve some problems of dishonest fuel attendants, but then who will solve the problem of dishonest customers running away with full tanks
Old 28th February 2010, 13:29   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
yes maybe the owner is honest but its the morons filling the fuel who are there to cheat you. Maybe these honest owner's bunks are where the complaint book works (don't see why it would work in a bunk where the owner itself is screwed up).

I still feel self service bunks could solve some problems of dishonest fuel attendants, but then who will solve the problem of dishonest customers running away with full tanks
Thats one of the reasons of not having self service pumps . The complaint book would work in any pump irrecpective of whether the owner is honest or not, Also most owners who take interest in their Pumps Ensure that the Workers dont cheat customers, the mere prescence of the owner at the pump acts a deterent to the staff. Till the time the cat is there the Mice dont play
Old 28th February 2010, 14:59   #334
BHPian

I would also add that such cheating takes place more in cities than rural, semi-urban areas.
Old 1st March 2010, 11:58   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
I stopped going to the HP pumps for the same reason. Now if I stop going to Indian Oil as well, I'll have to source my own oil from the middle east . Unfortunately we don't have shell bunks in Mumbai.

I'll go back to the Indian Oil 'cos atleast they're dumb ebough to get caught. All the others are way too smooth!
I like your thought & from my experience too, they'll never try those dirty tricks with you again; BTW, have you had a chance to see that guy who messed up with you again or was that firing off for real?
Old 2nd March 2010, 16:41   #336
BHPian

another victim

phew, finally managed to read through all the pages of this thread.. and i'm really shocked . Though i've been conned in more than a few ways, i never expected to see so many petrol pump tricks.

What works for me is pretence. When they try to distract me, i continue looking at the meter but put on a frown and raise my arm towards the 2nd attendant as if telling him to "stop talking". The idea was to appear as though i knew all their tricks while in reality i may not even have realised all instances where i was a victim.

A weird incident: not sure what really happened, but one of the cashiers at a bunk shuffled many notes to & fro and finally gave me more change than what was due. He didn't seem to be of innocent or stupid kinds. I couldn't figure out how he could have messed up simple arithmetic.. so assumed he must've been thinking of some way to con me and ended up confusing himself. I just returned the extra money and left.
Now, I make it point that i tender exact change to keep interactions with them to as minimum as possible.
Old 2nd March 2010, 18:06   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanD View Post
Now, I make it point that i tender exact change to keep interactions with them to as minimum as possible.
Yes, good point.

I usually fill for either INR 1000 or 500 depending on which currency note I have with me.

That way, I don't have to count, I don't need to check the balance etc.

Also, before entering the fuel station, I make sure to keep the currency note in my shirt pocket for easy access. This way I don't have to take my purse out.

And whenever it is full tank, I get out of my car, and stand right in front of the meter. If wifey is around, she sits in the car and monitors along with me. So, four eyes are fixed on the meter.

Isn't it amazing the kind of stuff that one need to do or to be aware of, while at a fuel station? It is one place where all the skills of mathematics, concentration, alertness are summoned.
Old 2nd March 2010, 18:21   #338
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Yes, good point.

I usually fill for either INR 1000 or 500 depending on which currency note I have with me.

Also, before entering the fuel station, I make sure to keep the currency note in my shirt pocket for easy access. This way I don't have to take my purse out.

And whenever it is full tank, I get out of my car, and stand right in front of the meter. If wifey is around, she sits in the car and monitors along with me. So, four eyes are fixed on the meter.

Isn't it amazing the kind of stuff that one need to do or to be aware of, while at a fuel station? It is one place where all the skills of mathematics, concentration, alertness are summoned.
Yeah. Cheaters. Atleast SHELL does not entertain all these ways of cheating customers. They are very polite and well trained. You can trust them completely with 0 errors.
Old 2nd March 2010, 18:26   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Yes, good point.

+1

Which is why it is best to fill up more, and limit the visits to the petrol pump.

If your vehicle can take 1500 or 2000 Rs worth of fuel - do that.
And while it is being done, 'guard it' like anything.

Step out, roll up windows and lock the car.
Stand right next to the nozzle / petrol lid.
Tell the person the exact amount and ask him to put it in auto cut-off and take his hands away from it.
Monitor his movement and the fuel meter.
Only after it is full to your satisfaction, give your card/cash - exact change.
While the above is being done, strictly entertain no distractions.
Old 2nd March 2010, 19:32   #340
BHPian

Also try and goto the same bunk all the time and be vigilant the each time, the ladies at the pump I goto have started recognizing me and know that I stand near the machine and the nozzle.

Earlier after cutoff they used to ask me , aur daalien etc. , now they know they will get a stern frown if they do that :P , infact I ask them to put in the last few drops also inside the car. The latter does get them a little irritated though, "but boond bond se sagar bantta hai"
Old 2nd March 2010, 22:31   #341
Senior - BHPian

I fill up from only 1 HP pump (not COCO) and I am quite satisfied.
Every time the attendant asks me how much before touching the nozzle, then asks me to check the zero, puts it in autocut, and after autocut, asks me whether to top up. Then he asks whether I want to pay by cash/card, and if cash, whether i require a receipt.
I have been getting good mileage, and find nothing to complain about.
But I make sure that every time I get down and stand by the pump when they fill it up. Better be safe than sorry!
Old 11th March 2010, 22:03   #342
BHPian

Chennai Guys,

Watchout for the usual distraction and refilling without resetting to zero technique at the following two pumps .

The BP one opposite to the old Concorde showroom near Velachery. (The one in the corner)
Again another BP pump just after the DSC hyundai signal when you come from Saidapet.
Old 14th March 2010, 19:54   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
Chennai Guys,

Watchout for the usual distraction and refilling without resetting to zero technique at the following two pumps .

The BP one opposite to the old Concorde showroom near Velachery. (The one in the corner)
Again another BP pump just after the DSC hyundai signal when you come from Saidapet.
Would like add one more bud - the BPCL next to SPIC office in Guindy
Old 14th March 2010, 21:15   #344
BHPian

Be careful about the big BP bunk in Mogappair - Ambattur industrial estate road.
Old 16th March 2010, 14:54   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
Be careful about the big BP bunk in Mogappair - Ambattur industrial estate road.
^^^ Are you referring to the company owned outlet?

Most Viewed