Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2010, 10:48   #316
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
This sure warrants a reaction similar to what Spitfire did.
Oh no no please dont!! if hitting the attendant is what you are saying.

These guys are third rate cheap individuals, dont mess with them. I was a bit worried after i did that - not a loca, new place and all that.

Not recommended, always better to fill up at a pump where you know you wont get cheated and be very vigiliant where you are doubtful.
Old 26th February 2010, 15:01   #317
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Oh no no please dont!! if hitting the attendant is what you are saying.

These guys are third rate cheap individuals, dont mess with them. I was a bit worried after i did that - not a loca, new place and all that.

Not recommended, always better to fill up at a pump where you know you wont get cheated and be very vigiliant where you are doubtful.
This is 100% true. Please, never even misbehave with these rowdies.

I've seen petrol bunk guys (On Hyderabad highway after Hebbal) chasing a person with bats and think wooden patta at night around 1PM. This guy getting chased was probably drunk and fought there for some issues am not aware of.
Old 26th February 2010, 17:20   #318
BHPian

On Wednesday evening I pulled in to the local Indian Oil pump to get my usual Rs. 1000/ worth of regular diesel. I stopped my Scorpio on the left side and opened the hatch. Gave one attendant my Credit Card, asked him to charge me for 1k while stepping out of the car. I watched the other attendant reset the pump, ensured that the meter was on 0.00 and stood in fromt of the meter while he started fueling on the other side of the car. Now I'm standing between the car and the fuel pump while this guy is on the opposite side pumping fuel. He's out of sight and I can't see what he's doing.

Now when the meter reached around Rs. 425 I notice the meter slows down and even stops for a few seconds. I proceed to walk towards him and the numbers start rolling again, so I stop and continue to look at the meter. Now at Rs. 700 the 1st attendant comes with the credit card and slip for me to sign. I take it out of his hand without taking my eyes off the meter and notice that it's stopped at Rs. 725! 1,2,3 seconds it's stopped and the numbers are not changing! I had asked for a thousand so I swiftly walk around to the other side and as I'm approaching the guy who's pumping the fuel, I notice someting funny. ThiS guy gets startled to see me coming towards him and removes the nozzle and starts closing the lid. I look at the meter and it shows that Rs. 1000 worth of fuel has been dispensed and the quanitity is 27.21 litres!

It would have only taken me barely five seconds to walk to the other side. I'm thinking to myself "It's impossible for him to reach from Rs. 725 to Rs. 1,000 in 5 seconds even if he's Gandalf the wizard!" My mind starts racing, I remember Spitfire's post that I had read the very same day and by the look on the attandant's face I'm sure that something's fishy. I approach him as he's closing the fuel hatch while trying to avert my gaze and assault him with questions " What the hell have you done? Why did you stop at Rs.400 and then 700? How did the meter reach Rs. 1,000/- so quickly when you had in fact halted at 725?" He panicks and with a tremble in his voice says " Saab I didn't halt, the meter stops by itself when there is air in the hose." Now I'm not an expert but my instinct tells me that this is total BS!

Me- Boss I think you have cheated me. I want you to prove that you put 27 litres in my tank. Why the hell did you stop pumping twice?

Attendant - Sir I can give you our 5 litre quanitity check if you like.It was because of the air that the meter stopped!

Me (losing my temper) - Cut the crap and get your manager! Now!!!

I get into my car and check the fuel gauage needle that's supposed to be a little over half mark. It's actually below half! Now there's no doubt that the smartass has ripped me off. I tell him that I'm going to call the bank and void the transaction. I'm not paying till I get the correct quantity of fuel. I'm waiting in the car for the manager to come and all the attendants gather at a distance murmuring something amongst themselves while throwing side glances at me. I'm fuming, it's been 5 minutes and the manager is nowhere in sight, some attendant tells me that he's in the bathroom. "Yeah right!" I say sarcastically. The manager finally arrives after a few minutes. By this time all the staff has gathered around me and the vehicle and there's a scene:

Manager(looking very worried) - What happened Sir?
Me - I paid Rs. 1,000 but suspect that I got less fuel. This guy here stopped the meter twice and did something.

Manager (to attendant) - Kya re b@#@%$#@ (Fataak!) slaps him hard to everyone's amazement! Isko nikaal do, chal M@#$#$@@@* nikal ja yahann se!

Manager (turns to me) - Sir, I'm very sorry, please take your car back to the pump and we'll fill in the remaining fuel.

I'm a little shocked at such a dramatic response from the manager. He's apologising and almost grovelling. I takle the car to the pump and let them fuel it till the fuel guage needle reaches the desired mark. I give my number to the manager and tell him to contact me after tallying the day's accounts.

If you have dispensed extra fuel, call me and I will come and pay the difference! I tell the manager. I won't settle for anything less than what I paid for but don't want more either.

It's been two days and they haven't called me. It seems that they had to fill almost another RS. 300 worth of fuel after the manager came. Somehow judging by the manager's extreme and sudden response I believe that he already knew what was going on. However, I will continue to go back to this pump. Now hopefully the attendants won't try any stunts when they see my car.

I still don't understand how the attendant did it but it seems that the meter jumped to Rs. 1,000 immediately after stopping at Rs. 725. I understand that Indian Oil petrol stations are company owned and operated. It seems that this short fuelling happens with the managers knowledge. He didn't bother to wait, investigate or even ask the attendant what he did. Before I could even finish narrating what happened he whacked the guy and sent him away. It almost seems that he slapped the guy for getting caught!

Last edited by Wolfheart : 26th February 2010 at 17:31.
Old 26th February 2010, 17:31   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post

It's been two days and they haven't called me. It seems that they had to fill almost another RS. 300 worth of fuel after the manager came. Somehow judging by the manager's extreme and sudden response I believe that he already knew what was going on. However, I will continue to go back to this pump. Now hopefully the attendants won't try any stunts when they see my car.
Usually they are all in on the Scam!! Even the manager knows whats going on. The problem is that most Pump owners are never there at the pump and thats why these sales boys and manager are upto antics of this sort.
When the CAT is away the Mice will Play.
Old 26th February 2010, 17:47   #320
BANNED

Quote:
Manager (to attendant) - Kya re b@#@%$#@ (Fataak!) slaps him hard to everyone's amazement! Isko nikaal do, chal M@#$#$@@@* nikal ja yahann se!
!
Probably the manager and attendant would have decided earlier itself "1 slap is better than 10"

Jokes apart, Request you not to go to the Bunk again. Let them know that they lost a good customer by their bad attitude.

I recommend SHELL for all
Old 26th February 2010, 17:54   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Probably the manager and attendant would have decided earlier itself "1 slap is better than 10"

Jokes apart, Request you not to go to the Bunk again. Let them know that they lost a good customer by their bad attitude.

I recommend SHELL for all
I stopped going to the HP pumps for the same reason. Now if I stop going to Indian Oil as well, I'll have to source my own oil from the middle east . Unfortunately we don't have shell bunks in Mumbai.

I'll go back to the Indian Oil 'cos atleast they're dumb ebough to get caught. All the others are way too smooth!
Old 26th February 2010, 21:54   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Why would one want to go back to that station again?
Sometimes that's the only option when nearing an empty tank as no other bunk is nearby. Avoid it mostly though simply because those who do this kind of cheating might be adulterating the fuel as well.

Quote:
I think they are all in on it. Why would the manager take so much time to come out? To wait and perhaps see if you get tired and go away. He slaps the attendant: what's a connived slap to restore faith in one alert and irate customer as compared to all the others who get fleeced? They must be using this pacifying tactic on customers who mean business.
Anyhow, it's better to leave the slapping to managers and not do it ourselves. A violent reaction from your side would turn the situation on its head and ironically make you a defaulter of the law, moreover it's especially unsafe in a situation where you may be one and the crooks many. But loved Spitfire's actions just the same.

Last edited by Delta Wing : 26th February 2010 at 22:10.
Old 26th February 2010, 22:24   #323
BHPian

I do not know if it has been discussed yet, but these guys are morbidly scared of one phrase

"complaint book dena"

I had gone to refill at an Indian Oil station (dont remember where, somewhere in East Delhi), I wanted 15 litres, my maruti was almost empty on fuel and I was worried I might just run out and hence didnt goto my favourite pump. After a few seconds, he tells me sir light gayi and shows me 5 litres on the meter , he had showed me 0, dont know how he got to 5 so soon. Then he dispenses 10 more litres, this time I am fixed onto him like a Hawk.

When I enter the car, I switch it to ignition (M800 doesnt show fuel gauge without key) and drive off after paying with card, around 200m away, I notice that the needle is not even above the half way mark which is not possible. I took a U-turn and went to the pump. I said complaint book dena to the man with the cash. The look on his face was worth a 1000 bucks. Sir, plz sir, kya hua sir. I told him about the whole thing, without a single word spoken from his end, he asked me for my keys and put in 5 more litres of fuel. It was obvious he didnt need any proof from my side and was in on it. I stopped filling at IOC pumps for more than 500 rupees since.

Same stuff happens near Pune-Mumbai expressway also since they know you are leaving the city.

Also, always insist on electronic receipts which are linked to pumps, this ensures any fraud is automatically caught by the machines. BPCL pumps have this facility, they select pump number and you get the bill.
Old 26th February 2010, 22:35   #324
BHPian

Gotta agree with Delta Wing there,Spitfire's slap is a classic already. Well it's nice to see that dishonest crooks in various parts of the country are getting slapped either by vigilant customers or because of them. WHo says there's no justice in this world!
I would have never bothered to check on the attendant had I not read this thread. You guys at Team Bhp should design a warning sticker that everyone can stick near the fuel hatch. Something like "Team BHp kicks ***! Really! Try to con us and find out the hard way!"

Last edited by Wolfheart : 26th February 2010 at 22:37.
Old 26th February 2010, 22:49   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1head View Post
I do not know if it has been discussed yet, but these guys are morbidly scared of one phrase

"complaint book dena"
But do they take complaint book seriously? Most pumps are owned by the politically connected, and they would use influence to wriggle out of any situation?
Old 27th February 2010, 01:39   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1head View Post

"complaint book dena"
Absolutely correct That Phrase does shake up the soul of any Pump manager/Owner. As a customer everyone must be aware that when you refuel always ask for a bill with date and your car no. on it, also prefer the printed ones from the dispensers and if you feel cheated in any way register a complaint in The complaint book, which is capable of rocking the Pump owners world

Quote:
But do they take complaint book seriously? Most pumps are owned by the politically connected, and they would use influence to wriggle out of any situation?
They absolutely take the complaint book seriously! Most Pumps are owned bu influential people I agree but there is no way any one can wriggle out of something thats registerd in that book, Just last week one dealer in my area was shitting Bricks because of a complaint that was registerd and just for the record one of his brother's is an MP and the other is an IG

SO PLEASE REGISTER A COMPLAINT IN THAT BOOK WHEN YOU FEEL CHEATED OR SCAMMED.
Old 27th February 2010, 21:33   #327
Team-BHP Support

And after you write your complaint in the book, strike out the left over space.

I did that once and the manager asked me where my bunk was cause I knew this trick.
Old 27th February 2010, 21:40   #328
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
just for the record one of his brother's is an MP and the other is an IG
No wonder most of the pump guys cheat. See the kind of people who get licenses for pumps. The one's who have brother's like MPs and IGs.
This petroleum ministry must be the most corrupt I guess!
Old 27th February 2010, 23:41   #329
BHPian

Guys,
Any idea how the auto cut-off in the dispensers works? Is it on the back pressure exerted? I once had this issue of the petrol spilling out as the guy had not used the auto cut-off.

BTW did any T-Bhpians have any bad experiences at Kaveri Petrol Pump in Kormangala. I have been filling petrol there for over four years. I did have couple of bad experiences and guess it was more with the attendants than the Bunk Owners or Managers.

Once they told me that they had filled 35 ltrs when the fuel indicator was not showing even reserve (5ltrs) before filling. I went back to the bunk after checking the Car manual and told them they had overcharged as the tank capacity is only 35 ltrs. They refunded Rs300 after taking my number,stating that they would call me in case the end of day transactions did not tally. I did not get a call.The second incident was the petrol spilling.

Last edited by Rajiv-Bang : 27th February 2010 at 23:55.
Old 28th February 2010, 09:26   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv-Bang View Post
Guys,
Any idea how the auto cut-off in the dispensers works?
Here too attendants are generally reluctant to use the auto cut off, citing various reasons like malfunction etc. Last time I insisted and it worked flawlessly. The Straight Dope: How does a gas pump know to shut itself off?

Most Viewed