Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2010, 16:03   #346
Senior - BHPian

Chennai guys, try the IOC pump next to Trident Hotel on GST Road, Meenambakkam. I filled Xtra Premium petrol for my bike a couple of days ago. The attendant himself showed me zero on the pump before filling, and then gave me a pump generated bill after the filling, just like Shell. I was taken aback!
Old 16th March 2010, 16:12   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
^^^ Are you referring to the company owned outlet?
Yep the same one. I had posted a cheating attempt by one of the attendants in the pump few pages back. It was an year ago.
Old 16th March 2010, 19:23   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
Yep the same one. I had posted a cheating attempt by one of the attendants in the pump few pages back. It was an year ago.
Lately I've been observing that all BPCL outlets have a big sign board containing the owner's name & contact numbers. Will this be of any help when one feel that they're being tricked? Has anyone tried reaching to those contacts on the sign board?
Old 26th March 2010, 04:16   #349
BHPian

Being from Bangalore, I fully endorse the practice followed by Prince Pervez. Pull into the pump, switch off the engine. Open the fuel lid. GET OUT of the car. Ensure you fill for 1000 bucks so the pump is set, ensure meter setting is zero before starting. Keep eyes locked on meter at all times and NO TALKING to anyone. If you want a full tank, make him use the auto cutoff facility. Finally, go to a fixed pertrol pump where you will eventually become known as a no nonsense customer. Then pay the bill and before starting the car, set trip meter to ZERO. So, by next fill you will know how much FE you are getting.

I have a Zen. If I fill for 1000 rupees, in the city with aircon on all the time I should get a minimum of 250 km for this fuel value. On the highway I should get closer to 333 km. So, between 4 times to 3 times depending on driving conditions. Go to a company owned pump, this way the fuel is pure and there is less likelihood of malpractice. If you are not alert, you will be taken for a ride....
Old 29th March 2010, 18:22   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJANGO View Post
Go to a company owned pump, this way the fuel is pure and there is less likelihood of malpractice. If you are not alert, you will be taken for a ride....
i

Reminds me of a an incident a week back, I ordered 12 kilolitres of petrol from the depot, Tanker Arrives the usual practice then is that the tanker be allowed to stand still for half an hour so that the Fuel load settles down and The quantity measured and quality tested, so we begin the process quantity checked comes out ok, next we check the density of the fuel so we open the valves at the bottom to take fuel out for sampling and what i see then shocks me there is sludge coming out . So i call the depot manager says Saar Euro 4 coming in so we are emptying our tanks so that euro 3 and euro 4 dont mix, says dont worry thats probably the sludge at the bottom of the tank which came into the tanker.

Go on top of the tanker check the dip and calculate there is atleast 1000 litres of sludge and muck below, CAll sales officer he says "yaar chor na kyu drama kar raha he utaar le maal kuch nahi hota hajar litre hi toh he" offload the tanker doesnt matter its jus a 1000 litres. I flatly refuse i say i will not do so no one in their right mind would want to refuel their cars with sludge no matter what the quantity ratio.

Call a couple of other dealers they ask me not to offload no matter what, Then the tanker is ordered to go and offload at the Company owned Pump. Poor souls going there the next few days will have their cars KNocking. Am not trying to say that all COCO pumps are crooks or thieves or whatever, its just that All that glitters is not always Gold! This one can learn the hard way through experience like i did a week back.

Last edited by Born 2 Be Wild : 29th March 2010 at 18:31.
Old 29th March 2010, 19:05   #351
BHPian

A few months ago, I stopped to fill fuel at the IndianOil pump just after the Ashram Flyover (when you get off the DND). I got off and opened the tank. Just as the fellow was about to put the nozzle in, the forecourt supevisor came and distracted me. I look up less than 5 seconds later to see that the meter is at Rs. 500. I got him to stop and raised hell. It was office time so they immediately admitted their mistake. Filled in the complaint form. Fortunately, I remembered seeing Rs. 250 on the pump prior to filling. So paid the remaining amount, gave them a piece of my mind and moved on.
Old 29th March 2010, 19:10   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Then the tanker is ordered to go and offload at the Company owned Pump. Poor souls going there the next few days will have their cars KNocking. Am not trying to say that all COCO pumps are crooks or thieves or whatever, its just that All that glitters is not always Gold! This one can learn the hard way through experience like i did a week back.
Thanks for sharing. This is deeply frustrating. I have no clue what could be a solution to this problem. This could happen at any fuel station.
Old 29th March 2010, 19:48   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
This could happen at any fuel station.
No sir I beg to differ, no dealer would risk his dealership over this issue, The law is very strict your sample fails the density test Strike one And you are Out, no second chance no clarifications no nothing! This is a once in a blue moon sort of a thing.
Old 29th March 2010, 21:43   #354
BHPian

Quote:
No sir I beg to differ, no dealer would risk his dealership over this issue, The law is very strict your sample fails the density test Strike one And you are Out, no second chance no clarifications no nothing! This is a once in a blue moon sort of a thing.
Let me tell you of an incident at Qutub Minar's BPCL outlet :

The petrol pump over there is malfunctioning for over 6 months according to the attendant, the auto cutoff malfunctions and results in spills. Multiple complaints to the company has led to zero action being taken against the pump owner. In the end, in a country like India, everything boils down to contacts.

Its good that you are an honest petrol dealer, but i will not believe that most dealers are as honest as you portray them to be.
Old 30th March 2010, 00:41   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1head View Post
Let me tell you of an incident at Qutub Minar's BPCL outlet :

The petrol pump over there is malfunctioning for over 6 months according to the attendant, the auto cutoff malfunctions and results in spills. Multiple complaints to the company has led to zero action being taken against the pump owner. In the end, in a country like India, everything boils down to contacts.

Its good that you are an honest petrol dealer, but i will not believe that most dealers are as honest as you portray them to be.
Sir first of all to call someone dishonest you must know the ins and outs of the system, Let me shed some light on the eg that you have quoted first of all ALL Dispensers in the outlet Are coverd under an AMC by the COmpany that manufactures them and for each nozzle on the machine the omc pays 1000rs a month, So the dealers responsibility ends by registerring a complaint with the Dispensers AmC Contractor and then its there Job To have it fixed or replaced which ever is deemed fit, So why should the dealer be held responsible for faulty aut cut mechanism our job ends with registering a complaint. Thats why the company couldnt take action is because the dealer cant be held responsible for something he is not supposed to fix.

Contacts may work elsewhere but they dont work in our line any more atleast in delhi, in the last 5 years atleast 10 pumps have been sealed in delhi, Small eg When BP preet vihar was being sealed by the vigilance team for adulteration they were offered 2 cr but the pump was sealed none the less, now its the highest selling outlet in delhi.
Old 30th March 2010, 01:42   #356
BHPian

Quote:
So the dealers responsibility ends by registerring a complaint with the Dispensers AmC Contractor and then its there Job To have it fixed or replaced which ever is deemed fit, So why should the dealer be held responsible for faulty aut cut mechanism our job ends with registering a complaint. Thats why the company couldnt take action is because the dealer cant be held responsible for something he is not supposed to fix.
Please dont call me sir, I am probably much younger than you

I distinctly remember the pump attendant telling me that he has reminded the owners multiple times to take action, but they don't care. He himself was fed up as car owners would shout at him or curse him. I myself deducted 20 rupees before paying him for the fuel spilled.

Even if there is an AMC, isnt the whole thing under a contract ? The dealer can be proactive and sue the AMC provider.

Its good if there is accountability in your business (from what you have quoted).

Please pm me your pump location if you are comfortable and I will make it a point to get my cars re-fuelled from your pumps if possible. I usually use the BP COCO pump at Vasant Vihar and its been giving me awesome mileage.
Old 30th March 2010, 03:29   #357
BHPian

There is one petrol pump in indore which has many posters written " zero nahin dikhaye jane par paise nahi den" (do not pay if zero is not shown). twice i had gone to this pump and both times they didnot show zero. first time the filler kept pleading, sir meri zeb se jayenge, so i gave. but next time i didn't pay. hope the guys learn a lesson.(i had filled for only Rs 100 for my bike, i wish i had filled for more)
Old 30th March 2010, 08:41   #358
Senior - BHPian

Ok here is one more. Yesterday at the bunk opposite to Sagar hospitals, (earlier sagar apollo) my wife asked for a 500 Rs fill. Dude stops at 200 and says did not hear. He said he will fill 300 more. (w/o resetting the meter was silent). My wife said she was fine with a 200 Rs fill and paid the dude and left. She will fill at Shell today
This is the second time this happened to her. But both times she was saved. Thanks to contributions by members here on T-Bhp.
Old 30th March 2010, 17:45   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1head View Post
Please dont call me sir, I am probably much younger than you

Even if there is an AMC, isnt the whole thing under a contract ? The dealer can be proactive and sue the AMC provider.

Its good if there is accountability in your business (from what you have quoted).
Am 25 so that makes you 4 years younger, since you insist i would drop the sir . Going OT But since you asked let me tell you that the AMC is between HPCL and the manufacturer so if anyone has the rights to take action against them its the OMC and not the dealer. The only Proactive thing the dealer can do for this is to conntinuously pester the manufacturer to repair as soon as possible, but from my limited experience let me tell you that they are Very Thick Skinned , I have been chasing them for over 2 months to get the Bill printers in my dispensers repaired but they keep Giving me the "Goli" like they say in delhi Hpefully there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 30th March 2010, 18:19   #360
Senior - BHPian

I generally ask them to put it on auto and take their hands off. But, not at all times. I must pay more attention the next time

Most Viewed