Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2010, 10:03   #376
Senior - BHPian

KPN Pump at Pallavaram

I Filled up for Rs 300/- yesterday on my Bullet at the KPN Pump in pallavaram. He had the same logo as in KPN Travels. I am not sure if they belong to the same person or the pump owner has just tweaked the KPN Travels Logo.

I saw them talking to people while filling and also NOT showing "Zero". When my turn came, i told him to fill for Rs 300 and did not open the fuel cap till the meter showed zero. I would allocate this to ignorance.

The quantity of fuel is good. No cheating so far.
Old 27th April 2010, 10:06   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I Filled up for Rs 300/- yesterday on my Bullet at the KPN Pump in pallavaram. He had the same logo as in KPN Travels. I am not sure if they belong to the same person or the pump owner has just tweaked the KPN Travels Logo.

I saw them talking to people while filling and also NOT showing "Zero". When my turn came, i told him to fill for Rs 300 and did not open the fuel cap till the meter showed zero. I would allocate this to ignorance.

The quantity of fuel is good. No cheating so far.
Where is this bunk in Pallavaram? What oil co is it? I don't think I have noticed it before.
Old 29th April 2010, 09:13   #378
Senior - BHPian

When coming From Tambaram, It is to the left. The BP pump just after Udupi Sri Krishna Bhavan Hotel. It is somewhat adjacent to the (Towards Airport) serving Pallavaram bus stand
Old 29th April 2010, 10:41   #379
BHPian

I generally tend to go to places where most bikes flock - Bikes have smaller engines and the mileage figures on bikes are more sensitive to short fueling. The engines being smaller in size are more sensitive to adultrated fuel.
Generally prefer to go to the bunk which as the same dispensers for bikes and the cars.
Cheers
Old 29th April 2010, 10:43   #380
Senior - BHPian

Coming out of the car is a good sign of a well informed customer. Keeping your eyes fixed is another. Distractors will move away once they see the tell tale signs of a informed/ experienced customer.
Old 29th April 2010, 11:55   #381
BHPian

^^+1. I learned that the hard way. Once on my way to Ooty, an attendant near Mysore forgot to close the fuel cap after filling up. I drove all the way upto Nanjangudu with an open fuel cap before realizing. Had to improvise there and tie a plastic around the neck the fuel pipe until I could source a replacement in Ooty. From then on, rain or shine, I am standing next to the attendant from the moment he opens the cap till it is closed . I don't answer any questions and keep staring at the meter, the attendant and the fuel pipe. Nobody has ever tried to mess with me since.
Old 29th April 2010, 16:42   #382

Rightly put in. I have faced quite a few instances in Pune pumps as well. The modus operandi is very simple. one attender holds the pump while the other would ask you if the payment is by card or cash, the moment you are diverted the other guy would have already start the flow.Sometimes you literally end up paying for fuel which never goes into your car's tank.

I always get out of my car while filling up fuel and do not respond to any queries at all. Once I shouted at the guys at the pump and they reset the meter back to Zero.

Folks:- Anybody using petrol bunks in and around Hinjewadi area, pls be careful.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Whenever i Go to the Fuel Station other than my regular one, I do the following
  • Turn of the Engine
  • Unlock the Fuel Door
  • Step out of the Car
  • Stand close the tank
  • The attender comes over and asks for the quantity of fuel.
  • I ask him if there is auto cutoff in his pump. Most cases Yes then fill tank. In cases where anser is No, I ask him to fill for an amount and ask him to take his hand off the Filler Gun.
  • I repeat the same three times and lock my eyes on the meter
  • I keep my hand over the Filler cap and ask him to wait till the meter shows 000.
  • I ask him to remove the hand.
  • I dont respond to anyone at the pumps, be it credit card, fuel card, Cash, car care products, Tyre Pressure, beggars, Other humans asking details about car / Mileage etc.
  • I just show my hand indicating them to stop talking or distract my attention till my Fuel is filled while my eyes are locked on the meter.
They take advantage of the Basic fact that Educated people look at the face / meet eye to eye during a conversation. when eyes are off the meter, the play their game. I make it a point to answer them in a single "No" without looking at their Faces. As soon as you do this, they walk away, understanding that i cannot cheat.

If i am really facinated by the product that he selling, I pull over after filling and enquire on the product.

I always Pay in Cash. Pumps ask the method of payment. I answer "Cash" without loosing sight of the meter count. They cannot argue with Cash. they can make some cock 'n' bull story for Credit card, like they dont have facility, machine is down, this brand not accepted etc, trying to distract you. If i say Cash they cannot argue by telling "We dont accept cash". "We dont accept 500 Rs Notes" etc. at least not till date.
Old 29th April 2010, 18:22   #383
BHPian

Credit Card Fraud or may be Not.

Hi All,

I'm facing a strange problem with one of the petrol bunks near my house in bangalore j.p nagar. I usaully go for full tank and always get down from the car before they start filling the petrol just to check if everthing is fine, but from the last 2-3 times whenever I ask them full tank my total amount comes out ot be 1900 Rs but instead of charging 1900 to my credit card they will charge 1700 and ask for 200 rs cash.Initally I gave them 200 Rs but when it happened on the very next time I asked them to charge remaining 200 to my card only which they did. But now I'm thinking what could prompt them to charge 1700 Rs everytime and asking for remaining in cash.

P.S I don't have to pay any surcharge for any petrol bunk.
Old 29th April 2010, 18:44   #384
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Hey, you just reminded me, I've experienced this once; not for anything in 1000's but somewhere in 100's, I'd to pay both by card & cash. May be they want to earn Rs 200 in black economy & payment using CC goes as white - just an assumption.
Old 29th April 2010, 18:48   #385
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbug View Post
Hi All,

I'm facing a strange problem with one of the petrol bunks near my house in bangalore j.p nagar. I usaully go for full tank and always get down from the car before they start filling the petrol just to check if everthing is fine, but from the last 2-3 times whenever I ask them full tank my total amount comes out ot be 1900 Rs but instead of charging 1900 to my credit card they will charge 1700 and ask for 200 rs cash.Initally I gave them 200 Rs but when it happened on the very next time I asked them to charge remaining 200 to my card only which they did. But now I'm thinking what could prompt them to charge 1700 Rs everytime and asking for remaining in cash.

Seems like these morons just fill 1700 in your car and show to their managers the same. And pocket the 200 cash illegally. Even their managers wouldn't come to know of this if they take cash right? At the end of the day when they tally up, they have bills and receipts and payment slips for the 1700.
Next time, don't pay 200 by cash. Ask them to siphon off 200 bucks of petrol from your tank and set their bottoms on fire with it.
Old 29th April 2010, 23:57   #386
BHPian

Still confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Seems like these morons just fill 1700 in your car and show to their managers the same. And pocket the 200 cash illegally. Even their managers wouldn't come to know of this if they take cash right? At the end of the day when they tally up, they have bills and receipts and payment slips for the 1700.
Next time, don't pay 200 by cash. Ask them to siphon off 200 bucks of petrol from your tank and set their bottoms on fire with it.
Thanks MX6

I guess you are right as I've noticed that my Swift's mileage is coming out to be 9.5 kmpl from last 2 months. But still need to understand why my fuel indicator is showing full and I always put full tank so ideally my car gets 35 ltrs of petrol everytime,according to the reading on dispensor.
So my confusion is " Petrol dispensor showing 35 ltrs + Fuel indicator reading showing Full tank then how they are managing to play this trick"?
Old 30th April 2010, 00:16   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess you are right as I've noticed that my Swift's mileage is coming out to be 9.5 kmpl from last 2 months. But still need to understand why my fuel indicator is showing full and I always put full tank so ideally my car gets 35 ltrs of petrol everytime,according to the reading on dispensor.
So my confusion is " Petrol dispensor showing 35 ltrs + Fuel indicator reading showing Full tank then how they are managing to play this trick"?
I doubt whether analog fuel indicators will show noticeable difference in reading near full tank for 2 liters. For that matter, even the fuel pipe itself will accommodate anywhere between 2-5 litres.

Fuel dispensor may have been tampered with.

Reduction in mileage is sufficient proof of short filling I guess.
Old 30th April 2010, 10:41   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
whenever I ask them full tank my total amount comes out ot be 1900 Rs but instead of charging 1900 to my credit card they will charge 1700 and ask for 200 rs cash.
Tell tale signs to meter tampering to dispense errorneous amounts of fuel.

Quote:

Quote:
I've noticed that my Swift's mileage is coming out to be 9.5 kmpl from last 2 months. But still need to understand why my fuel indicator is showing full and I always put full tank so ideally my car gets 35 ltrs of petrol everytime,according to the reading on dispensor.
Time to change the fuel station ? Hell yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
I doubt whether analog fuel indicators will show noticeable difference in reading near full tank for 2 liters.
Reduction in mileage is sufficient proof of short filling I guess.
Absolutely. My Lancer fuel needle shows zilch movement when I fill INR 200 worth of fuel (enough to get me to the Shell bunk on the weekend).
And thats nearly 3.68 Lts of fuel. Depends on tank capacity and error tolarance on the fuel gauge.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 30th April 2010 at 10:52.
Old 30th April 2010, 11:06   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Simple solution - Just avoid this bunk in the future.

One suggestion - Write a complain to the oil company about this malpractice.

Rohan
Old 30th April 2010, 12:05   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh!!! Boy, they'll take back Rs 400 worth of petrol from the tank;

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
One suggestion - Write a complain to the oil company about this malpractice.
These guys know how to clean their hands; someone actually did this & have mentioned it in one of their previous post in this thread. The pump owner calls up & gives him complimentary & asks to take back the complaint from the oil company & the guy refuses. But somehow the owner comes out clean in front of the oil company.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks