Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2013, 14:48   #526
BHPian

Re: Cheating at Petrol Pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by abybabykcc View Post
This is the first time I've had such an experience. Has anyone else had similar experiences? Is this a common scam at petrol pumps?
4 simple words. YOU HAVE BEEN CONNED!

Consider it a lesson learnt. From personal experience, the meter gauge is a good point to guesstimate the amount of fuel your vehicle is going to need until auto-cutoff. Or a rough calculation of approx how many litres you will be fuelling for Rs. X.

Such tricks can be overcome with a cool n relaxed mind. Stand in between the pump and your car just like you did. SHUT PEOPLE UP who try to distract you in the rudest and authoritarian manner possible. Once filled, go back to the fellow asking him what his "observation" was. Make payment. Leave.
Old 21st February 2013, 23:39   #527
Senior - BHPian

Re: Short Fueling Tricks At Petrol Stations

I never take my eyes of the meter at any cost. It is a courtesy to look at the eye and talk (eye contact), which is what they exploit. I give them back with the same coin by responding by looking at the meter only.

Attendants have told me your car is very nice, well maintained etc, its a beauty etc. I own a 2007 Hyundai Santro, which is a very very common car. SO the whole idea was to con me
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 10:51   #528
BHPian

I am sceptical at one thing. When I fill petrol of say Rs.1000, as soon the counter hits 1000, attendant rushes to disengage the pipe in fraction of a second. Can this also lead to short fueling because of some fuel being still in pipe?

Last edited by gupta_chd : 22nd February 2013 at 10:53.
Old 25th April 2013, 19:42   #529
Distinguished - BHPian

At last, here's a story with a happy ending!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...er-lining.html
Old 7th May 2013, 14:02   #530
Senior - BHPian

I normally stick to certain pumps where the attendant has to swipe a card to start filling. In those pumps, the meter automatically resets before the motor starts running. BPCL has a lot of such pumps - I think they are more reliable.
Old 7th May 2013, 14:13   #531
Senior - BHPian

^^^The BPCL pump I have been using lately has this swipe-to-reset functionality. And my car has delivered the best FE in it's 8 year life after I switched to this pump, which indicates better reliability in terms of quantity of fuel delivered.
Old 8th May 2013, 01:43   #532

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
^^^The BPCL pump I have been using lately has this swipe-to-reset functionality. And my car has delivered the best FE in it's 8 year life after I switched to this pump, which indicates better reliability in terms of quantity of fuel delivered.
Mate, can you tell where this bunk is?

Would like to try.

Thanks,
Veera
Old 20th May 2013, 16:06   #533
Team-BHP Support

Petrol Pump Fraud Alert for Hyderabad, Langar Houz, BP.

I was very low on fuel when I decided to fill petrol at the BP petrol bunk at Langar Houz, Hyderabad.

They pulled the old "you asked for Rs 300" trick on me. I had asked for a full tank.

I smiled and told him to not play any jokes.

This petrol bunk happens to be the closest one to my apartment complex.
I decided to send a warning email to the apartment residents group.

Turns out that a lot of them have been a victim of this fraud.

I will most probably return to this bunk once my tank level is low. Will then use that to frame a proper case if they attempt it again.
Old 20th May 2013, 18:57   #534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish_veera
Mate, can you tell where this bunk is? Would like to try.
This is the BPCL on Cathedral Road, adjacent to the erstwhile Woodlands Drive-in Hotel (which I believe is now a Horticultural garden).
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 19:27   #535
Senior - BHPian

This happened today at Indian Oil COCO bunk near koramangala bus depot (Next to pizza hut).

An Indian Oil truck came for filling the underground tank at the petrol bunk. As soon as the truck moved ahead after filling the underground, I saw an attendant pouring a bucket full of a light blue coloured liquid in the same underground tank.

What could this light blue coloured be ? Was this kerosene or something else ?

This happened at peak hours (6 pm) at a COCO bunk.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 19:39   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Petrol Pump Fraud Alert for Hyderabad, Langar Houz, BP.

I was very low on fuel when I decided to fill petrol at the BP petrol bunk at Langar Houz, Hyderabad.

They pulled the old "you asked for Rs 300" trick on me. I had asked for a full tank.

I smiled and told him to not play any jokes.

This petrol bunk happens to be the closest one to my apartment complex.
I decided to send a warning email to the apartment residents group.

Turns out that a lot of them have been a victim of this fraud.

I will most probably return to this bunk once my tank level is low. Will then use that to frame a proper case if they attempt it again.

Is this the one that has the Best retail outlet hoarding ?
Old 12th June 2013, 21:23   #537
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
.., I saw an attendant pouring a bucket full of a light blue coloured liquid in the same underground tank.
Could be anything, but there have been complaints about this COCO bunk.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 21:50   #538
BHPian

Some time back I was filling up petrol at the Indian Oil Bunk in Basavangudi (between the Bull Temple & Ashram). It was almost closing time and I told the attendant to fill up 700 bucks. He finishes and then I somehow manage to take a look at the meter it was sill 600! (It was very dark and closing time - so lights were out, had to use my cell phone to see). I tell him and then he apologies and fills up the rest.

I then give him my card and he swipes get it back to me. I sign this and just before leaving take a look at the bill (again there was virtually no light) - Lo and Behold its 800! Furious I show this to the manager, he apologizes and gives me a 100 cash.

Now I did not particularly think about this too much but the same pump's attendants always use to come up to me while I was filling up and suggest me to lubricate my petrol tank's lid - almost 100% of the time.
But after going through these threads - there is no way I take my eyes of the meter. Subsequently I changed to the Shell Bunk in front of More Megastore. No problems there.
Old 15th June 2013, 23:47   #539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This happened today at Indian Oil COCO bunk near koramangala bus depot (Next to pizza hut).

An Indian Oil truck came for filling the underground tank at the petrol bunk. As soon as the truck moved ahead after filling the underground, I saw an attendant pouring a bucket full of a light blue coloured liquid in the same underground tank.

I think it could be a liquid used to prevent the sediment from the tank mixing with the fuel. Idea being to prevent fuel contamination.
Old 16th June 2013, 22:26   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Usually the premium fuels like speed 97 don't come directly from the refinery.They are made at the petrol bunk by adding calculated amount of additives to normal fuel. I've seen something similar when i was travelling between chennai to kanyakumari at a COCO bunk.But in my case i saw a Orage colour Powder. So i think that's what you might've seen.

Further I don't think there would be any cost benefit in adding a bucket of kerosene/blue colour liquid to thousands of litre of fuel unless there is any scientific reason which increases the fuel volume.

Last edited by Wall-e : 16th June 2013 at 22:27.
Wall-e is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks