Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2013, 14:48   #541
BHPian

Re: Short Fueling Tricks At Petrol Stations

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
This happened today at Indian Oil COCO bunk near koramangala bus depot (Next to pizza hut).

An Indian Oil truck came for filling the underground tank at the petrol bunk. As soon as the truck moved ahead after filling the underground, I saw an attendant pouring a bucket full of a light blue coloured liquid in the same underground tank.

What could this light blue coloured be ? Was this kerosene or something else ?

This happened at peak hours (6 pm) at a COCO bunk.

Rohan
The Truck would most probably have been offloading Diesel Supply and what you saw him pouring in the bucket would have been diesel as some is taken out in the bucket to fill sample boxes and usually some is leftover in the tanker which is taken out after parking it on a slope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I think it could be a liquid used to prevent the sediment from the tank mixing with the fuel. Idea being to prevent fuel contamination.
There is no such thing prevalent in the indian oil industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall-e View Post
Usually the premium fuels like speed 97 don't come directly from the refinery.They are made at the petrol bunk by adding calculated amount of additives to normal fuel. I've seen something similar when i was travelling between chennai to kanyakumari at a COCO bunk.But in my case i saw a Orage colour Powder. So i think that's what you might've seen.

Further I don't think there would be any cost benefit in adding a bucket of kerosene/blue colour liquid to thousands of litre of fuel unless there is any scientific reason which increases the fuel volume.
Premium fuels are never concocted at the petrol pumps they come ready made from the OMC Fuel Depots.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 15:48   #542
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLordOfSith View Post
Is this the one that has the Best retail outlet hoarding ?
Yes.

Very sorry about the delayed response.
Old 30th August 2013, 10:16   #543
BHPian

Hello All,

This happened yesterday at HP Care Petrol Pump midway - Mumbai - Pune Expressway ( just at the Food mall ).

My wife was driving back from Mumbai in our Duster.
Looking at price hike news in diesel I had asked her to tank up while returning back home from Mumbai.
Now - she has been driving in Mumbai for like 6 years, so she is vigilant while fueling up - as in she gets out of the car, watches "0", and final fuel filled, etc..

She asked the bunk guy for full tank fuel and she was out to keep watch on the display.
The guy filled up 31L of Diesel.
Now this is where my wife started taking out her card and forgot to check the amount.
The card was swiped and receipts were given ( both CC & fuel receipt)

When I asked her today what was the net amount for full tank, she said "INR 2000"!
She also said she checked - and it was 31L Diesel.

Clearly she was charged for more liters than what were filled in our car.
I checked the receipt and it shows 35.xxL ~ 2000 INR ~ 56.xx Rs/Lit.
( I reconfirmed - and she was very sure - 31L was the final filled fuel )
I did some calculation --just to make sure..
NOW- The MID shows fuel consumed from last refill ( the full tank before the current one ) -- was 35.9L ( distance covered is also 630.xx -- which is fine -- translating to 17kmpl for the fuel consumed - which is pretty much average FE of our duster )
So - at the fuel bunk ( approx 80 kms away from my place ) MID would have shown approx. 550 kms distance covered from last Tank full - so 31L to full tank checks out to be fair -- as noted by my wife ).
So the bunk guy overcharged for 4 liters of fuel - but cleverly made a receipt for 2000 Rs with more fuel right there on the receipt.

Our fault - Wife should have checked the receipt.

I am not sure calling up the petrol pump would change anything.
Can I put up a complaint on PGPortal?

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 30th August 2013 at 10:25.
Old 30th August 2013, 10:30   #544
BHPian

Just came across this: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=681944941835526
Seriously scary that there are some people out there to loot our money.
Old 26th September 2013, 10:28   #545
BHPian

Baichung Bhutia’s petrol pump fills water instead of diesel

Quote:
Two truck drivers said that their vehicles had stopped moving as they drove out of the pump after filling diesel from the petrol pump at Mallaguri Regulated Market area in Siliguri on Tuesday.

On examination, they found water instead of diesel in the fuel tank of the vehicle and the pipe which connects the tank with the engine, the police said.

When they brought it to the notice of the pump manager, he denied it. The truck drivers then informed the Pradhannagar police station.

Tension gripped the area with angry people assembling to ransack the pump, the police said.

Following the development, the manager, Sanjay Sengupta and an employee, Sujit Das, were nabbed, Siliguri police commissioner K Jayraman said. He confirmed that the petrol pump is owned by Baichung Bhutia.

"Only after Bharat Petroleum conducts a test and investigates it, we shall be able to take further action," he said.
(Agencies)
- See more at: http://post.jagran.com/baichung-bhut....j2tIgPb8.dpuf
source : jagran.com
Old 7th October 2013, 11:55   #546
BHPian

This happened yesterday in HP Bunk very near to Mysore Railway station.

Entered the fuel station at around 8pm and gave the attendant two 500rupee notes and said Diesel. There was a lady who was standing near this attendant and was operating the pump.

This guy signaled the lady to start filling in. She started filling in once I said Go for zero.

Right when the display showed 200. She stopped. The attendant asked me, "1000rs, right?". And there I lost my temper. I asked the attendant to stop filling in. Sensing that I'm aware of their trick, the lady continued filling in.

This infuriated me further. I got out of the car agitated. He said that they have filled in for Rs. 300 and returned me the remaining 700 bucks and the bill. I asked him to call the Manager. He called his supervisor who is also hand in glove with them.

We were four guys in the car and all of us are really huge(6 foot +). These guys had the audacity to justify their act to us. I felt like thrashing them and beat them to pulp. Meanwhile the manager arrived and I narrated the incident. I said if I'm not getting my 300bucks from here I'm not moving, also I asked for the complaint book.

The manager after talking to the attendants returned the 300 to me.

I was totally out of control throughout the episode and it really spoilt my day. Went to the Mysore Palace later for Dasara, only to witness the Palace being spoiled by hoards of people.

Someone save this country, Please!
Old 11th October 2013, 10:37   #547
BHPian

This is a short fueling trick of a different kind. Happened to me twice at IOC COCO bunk in BTM Layout.

I was in a two-wheeler and filled petrol for Rs200. I gave Rs1000 note to the attendant. He promptly counted Rs800 for the return but using his tricks gave me only Rs700. He knew that I was seeing him counting the change. If I have not recounted I would have lost Rs 100. The same happened to me twice at the same bunk.

But unfortunately, we cannot catch hold of the attendants for this mischief.
Old 11th October 2013, 11:15   #548

There is another stunt that is tried. You pay cash, say in used 100 / 500 rupee notes and ask for the bill. The person takes the money and goes to some bade bhai sitting somewhere with the receipt book. The person comes back and says one of the notes is fake. You have no option but to replace the note with another one even though you swear to yourself that there is no way you have passed that note. Happened to me twice - once with a 500 and once with a 1000. Most people would try to use the notes elsewhere, but conscience pricked me and I decided to deface them and keep them in a book as a testimony to my gullibility.

If you have to pay in cash, please pay with crisp notes from an ATM and make a show of checking the notes yourself by putting them to the light before handing them over.

A bit off topic - According to intelligence sources, billions of rupees in counterfeit notes are being pumped in by our lovely neighbours for the festival season - so watch out. People who have been fooled with fake notes will try to get rid of them instead of destroying them. Keep a special watch for the notes that are being dispensed from ATMs, especially used ones.
green_wheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 12:13   #549
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone faced any issue with BP COCO at Thoppur or the one near Shoolagiri (Both with BP Ghar / A2B) ? I have filled few times from there and never noticed any issue, however last weekend another customer ahead of me was complaining that fuel quantity was less and he noticed the same at both these bunks.
Old 11th October 2013, 15:40   #550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajakumar View Post
This is a short fueling trick of a different kind. Happened to me twice at IOC COCO bunk in BTM Layout.

I was in a two-wheeler and filled petrol for Rs200. I gave Rs1000 note to the attendant. He promptly counted Rs800 for the return but using his tricks gave me only Rs700. He knew that I was seeing him counting the change. If I have not recounted I would have lost Rs 100. The same happened to me twice at the same bunk.

But unfortunately, we cannot catch hold of the attendants for this mischief.
Must be a one-off incident, or something to do with one of the attendants. The IOC COCO bunk in BTM is where I tank up regularly, and I'm happy that I get good FE figures. Since I make the payment using Credit Card, I avoid the hassles involved with counting currency notes and with the change. Except for the first time I went there, the attendant manning the diesel pump never asks me anything, and also hands me the bill once the filling is over.
Old 12th October 2013, 15:49   #551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Must be a one-off incident, or something to do with one of the attendants. The IOC COCO bunk in BTM is where I tank up regularly, and I'm happy that I get good FE figures. Since I make the payment using Credit Card, I avoid the hassles involved with counting currency notes and with the change. Except for the first time I went there, the attendant manning the diesel pump never asks me anything, and also hands me the bill once the filling is over.
I too believe so. I do use this bunk to regularly tank up my car for which I pay using CC. It is only in the two wheeler part that I noticed this twice. Since this bunk being a COCO, the regular tricks might not work. So the attendant would have resorted to this trick.
Old 12th January 2014, 13:32   #552
BHPian

Short Fueling Tricks At BP Petrol Pump (Charkop, Mumbai)

Had an experience of foul play at the BP petrol pump at Charkop.

Picture source: funkyp's attachment

Here is the link to what happened:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai...ml#post3342340
Old 1st April 2014, 15:40   #553
Distinguished - BHPian

This morning I had to go to Wakdewadi for some work so stopped to fuel up at the BP outlet there since the Swift was running on fumes. I stopped, told the guy petrol, he asked how much and I said 2000 worth. He was trying to distract me by talking nonstop about the car in front which had in it an MLA apparently. I ignored him and kept my eyes fixed on the gauge. He dawdled a bit but had no choice but to reset to zero after which he started tanking up. To my surprise he stopped it at just 300/-. I asked him why he stopped and he says, "300 right?" At this point I am standing right in front of him with 2 thousand rupee notes in my hand clearly visible, which I now show him. He says no problem I will top it off at which point a warning light goes off in my head. I tell him No. Pull out 3 hundreds and hand it to him, pocketing the two grand. He insists that he will do it but I just say no. He pulls the pipe out and closes the fuel lid.

As I was getting into the car I told his retreating back in Marathi, "Don't think I don't know what you were up to!" Expectedly no response from the guy but I was quietly satisfied.

There is a special place in hell reserved for these shortchargers. This particular petrol pump is the only fuelling station in miles so they get emboldened to play these tricks.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 16:36   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
This morning I had to go to Wakdewadi for some work so stopped to fuel up at the BP outlet...
These tricks seem to be common nowadays. Had a similar encounter twice! Good that you turned the game
Old 1st April 2014, 16:45   #555
BHPian

Yesterday at 11.00 Am 31st March 2014 I had visited the HP petrol pump (AUTOMOBILE CENTER AT SANTACRUZ WEST, SV ROAD, MUMBAI) to fill diesel. I asked for 1500 rs diesel. I parked my car in front of empty diesel pump how ever I was asked to move to another pump which was in reverse even though the petrol pump was empty.

On showing '0' on meter I asked the attendant to fill the diesel. However when he started the rupee count directly started from 200 instead of '0'. Upon raising an alarm the attendant continued pumping. I asked to stop pumping and asked him to call the manager. The manager was not available to meet and hence I had to call police. A police complaint regarding the same has been filed with santacruz police station. I have lived in this area for 30 years and this is the second time the same thing happened at this pump. The first time around 15 days back I let it go thinking I might have made mistake but this time I noticed it clearly. After making police call the meter was reset to '0' by the attendant even though I told him to keep the meter as is till police arrive. Not only that they started making adjustment to the pump itself of which I have taken video and pics. Police only filed a N.C. and said this is a consumer matter.

Our dumb police even gave option to empty out my Diesel tank and if I get diesel equal to what was pumped I pay the pump guy! I said do you know how much diesel I had before because I myself don't know the exact number!

Now I have complained to HP as well is online consumer forums where HP is registered.

Oh and in all this i wasted 3 hrs of mine and just got to file a NC. (Mera Bharat Mahan sau mein se 99 beiman!!)

Last edited by tazmaan : 1st April 2014 at 16:48.
tazmaan is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed