Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2007, 16:13   #16
BHPian

I would like to share different expirence,I have been cheated few times

at a fuel pump with a long queue,A guy in front of me filled for 30 bucks,when i asked him to fill for 50bucks,he did'nt reset but continued from 30 and reached 50!ofcourse i was distracted by another person selling some fuel additives,realised after riding some distance.Similarly,i was cheated of 200 bucks at another bunk with siilar antics played by these people.

These days,most fuel pumps sell adultrated fuel(Dealer operated fuel pump in particular or CODO),especially Indian oil,normal octane fuel results in less mileage,I filled normal fuel from a company pump(COCO),i got better mileage.
Old 14th February 2007, 16:53   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
not letting them fill after the auto-cutoff is a good practice.
Topping up after cut-off gives me exactly one more liter, so I havent seen any harm in getting the top-off done.

Also, if he doesnt take his hands off the dispenser, I tell him in a light manner " dont worry, it will take a lot of time for the 'x' liters of fuel, so you can take your hands off". Most times it works. Also, it has helped me to know how much the tank will take in.
Old 14th February 2007, 17:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, but I just didn't get the point.

How does starting and stopping in between affect the amount dispensed? What's the logic behind this? As long as the counter stops or, goes fast or, slows down depending on how much is the dispensing lever depressed, why should it cause any problem? Or, is it just a myth?
Old 14th February 2007, 18:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy
why are you discouraging to fill up after autocut even in pumps like Shell which has sophisticated / latest dispensers...
will there be any discrepancy in the reading versus the amt of fuel after autocut.
Well, IMO this has nothing to do with modern dispensers. Because I have seen them doing this even at pumps with the latest greatest equipment. The problem with filling after auto-cutoff is that you have to take care that petrol does not spill out - so the fuelling will not be in one go. It will involve filling, stopping, then again filling. Which somehow results in us getting less than what we should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008
If the petrol bunk fella even holds the fuel pipe while filling and stops the fill in installments using his fingers, will the "METER" also not stop whenever he presses the lever using his fingers to stop the fill?? Maybe i didnt understand this completely
Well, all I know is that we get shortchanged there, though I do not know the funda. There was a guy on the forum who owned a petrol pump in kerala - had asked him, but dont remember getting a reply.
Old 14th February 2007, 19:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
There was a guy on the forum who owned a petrol pump in kerala - had asked him, but dont remember getting a reply.
Dont expect the guy to reveal business secrets for TBHP friendship sake!!
Old 14th February 2007, 20:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

The best tip a close friend who owns a petrol pump gave me was that if you ever have a problem with the pump insist on making an entry into their Complaint book! This is regularly inspected by company officials & the owners greatly fear any adverse entry.

99 times out of 100 they'll not give you the book & try & sort out your problem at their end only. So give it a shot, might help you someday.
Old 15th February 2007, 01:45   #22
Team-BHP Support

I do not know about this starting-stopping business and its effect on the amount dispensed. However the fact that the longer than necessary pipe causes some amount of fuel to remain in the pipe is true. I always insist on the attendant holding the pipe at some height with the dispenser nozzle inside the fuel tank once the machine has stopped. This ensures that all the fuel flows into your tank.

Also, a few days back my friend was cheated when he went for 2ltrs of petrol in his pulsar. The attendants started asking all inane questions like how he will pay, whether he has the fuel card (IOC has card?!!), did he drop the bike as there is a scratch on the visor etc... in between the filling part was over. As soon as he drove out of the bunk he knew looking at the fuel gauge that he had been cheated out of at least 1ltr of fuel. He went back and raised a stink in front of other customers. The manager threatened to call the police instead of listening to him. Ultimately my friend said that he will drain out all the fuel in his tank. It should be 3.5 ltrs at least as 1.5 is the reserve he had and 2ltrs they supposedly filled in. If it falls short he will call the Indian Oil Hyderabad region office, get the pump stopped and then ask for an audit of the fuel in the bunk (they keep track of amount they fill from the truck in the bunk and then the amount sold to an accuracy of 10ml)... This brought them in line and the manager not only asked the attendant to fill 1 ltr but also paid him back the cost of 2ltrs that he paid!!!

My friend is sure that they would not have done that had they been straight. So beware... do not let the attendants distract you when they are filling up your vehicle.

Last edited by Zappo : 15th February 2007 at 01:46.
Old 15th February 2007, 02:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

Self-Service Gas Stations

The best way to get rid of all these pranks is to fill up at self-service outlets like in the US and elsewhere. But will we ever get to see such pumps which are hassle free in good old India ? By the way are there any such pumps operating anywhere in India now ?
Old 15th February 2007, 03:01   #24
BHPian

This might be true to an extent, but Pune people must've noticed the BP pump opposite RTO, they have 2 pipes dangling from the ceiling which they stretch, fill the required fuel & retract. This was the theory of backing up fuel in extended pipes proves null.
Old 15th February 2007, 07:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
The best way to get rid of all these pranks is to fill up at self-service outlets like in the US and elsewhere.
Never knew now I have to fly US/like to get the exact amount of fuel! BTW, If you are in US rt now, do you mind bringing couple of gallons.
Old 15th February 2007, 09:23   #26
BHPian

[quote=akroy;374082]
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
GTO, not letting them fill after the auto-cutoff is a good practice. quote]
SB, Although I personally never do refuelling after autocut...but why are you discouraging to fill up after autocut even in pumps like Shell which has sophisticated / latest dispensers...
will there be any discrepancy in the reading versus the amt of fuel after autocut...

Abhi
Hi Abhi,

This is a practice that is recommended in my Swift Manual. Here's tip #8 from Thirty Gas Saving Tips

Quote:
Avoid filling gas tank to top. Overfilling results in sloshing over and out of tank. Never fill gas tank past the first "click" of fuel nozzle, if nozzle is automatic.
Cheers
Old 15th February 2007, 09:39   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
The best way to get rid of all these pranks is to fill up at self-service outlets like in the US and elsewhere.
But in India I have seen many did not wanted to even get down when attender filling the gas. They just pass on the keys ( old gen cars) or open fuel lid from inside and wait inside the car.
Old 15th February 2007, 10:03   #28
IMP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
and I never let them fill after the auto-cutoff. Maybe I am safe from this practice then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I also never fill up after the Auto-Stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
but why are you discouraging to fill up after autocut even in pumps like Shell which has sophisticated / latest dispensers...
will there be any discrepancy in the reading versus the amt of fuel after autocut...
While i tank up my optra, the auto-stop always comes in atleast 10 - 12 litres before actually the tank gets full. So every time the attendant, has to start the nozzle by pressing the lever to fill up completely, the auto-stop normally gets activated 4 times till the car gets full. I expereince this on every fill up. If i dont continue filling up, the fuel guage only shows 80-85% full.

I also remember Rudraji mentioning about this somewhere, is it a characteristic of the optra, or is something wrong with my car? Is it that i am being short fuelled every time?
Old 15th February 2007, 11:00   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

My dear Zappo, which bunk is that in Hyderabad, so i can steer clear away from them?
Old 15th February 2007, 11:22   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Sorry, but I just didn't get the point.

How does starting and stopping in between affect the amount dispensed? What's the logic behind this? As long as the counter stops or, goes fast or, slows down depending on how much is the dispensing lever depressed, why should it cause any problem? Or, is it just a myth?
I agree - we're all going around crucifying petrol pump attendents for some reason without really understanding how stopping in between reduces the total quantity dispensed.

Can anyone check this claim out with a Jerry can of a fixed quantity?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks