Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2008, 12:30   #76
LLL
BHPian

Another bad experience to report at Indian Oil (i think) petrol pump at moti bagh just before the gurudwara. This is when you travel on ring road towards the dhaula kuan.

I was going out of delhi early morning on Sat and needed to full the tank. Hence decided to stop at this one knowing fully well that the guy is a cheat (had past bad experiences).

He starts filling the tank by using auto cutoff and tried to distract me by talking while i was watching the meter. Suddenly i find petrol overflowing and i yell to him to stop the dispenser. He says ki sir u should have told me when the tank was full..(how would i know that). Then he says ki not much fuel has overflown, but when i look at meter, i find it moving. So the guy was trying to increase the meter while arguing with me. I told him that i will pay 1 ltr less than what meter showed.
I gave him the money, took the receipt and left.

Decided to never fill there again even if tank is completely empty.
Old 19th February 2008, 14:07   #77
BHPian

Suggestions for Good Petrol Bunk In Various Cities

Hi...

We are all dicussing of how we are cheated at various bunks....

Why not give good bunk locations(based on experience) in each cities so that the T-BHPians will benefit from it.

Any Suggestions for good bunk in Chennai??

Regards
Marlon
Old 19th February 2008, 14:46   #78

I used to fill petrol in my bike at any petrol bunk I came across. Now, I only go to some petrol bunks where the "auto rickshaw" guys fill petrol. The rick guys appear to know which petrol stations are good. I've always had good experience from those petrol stations.

I had an Esteem in which I filled fuel for a fixed amount (Rs. 500). I never realized why someone would read it as Rs 50, and then fill the rest of Rs 450. Now, after reading several messages on this thread, I'm getting to know the reason.

I did not see the auto-stop trick though. I was always asked to check for "zero" reading before start, and since I ask for "auto-stop", the attendant starts filling and moves away from the nozzle to attend the other vehicles (probably, my choice of a busy petrol station at the peak travel time may be the reason).

-PK
(my first post )
Old 19th February 2008, 15:36   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by papikondalu View Post
I used to fill petrol in my bike at any petrol bunk I came across. Now, I only go to some petrol bunks where the "auto rickshaw" guys fill petrol. The rick guys appear to know which petrol stations are good. I've always had good experience from those petrol stations.
-PK
(my first post )
this is the best strategy. these auto guys when done with refueling, use a dip stick to check the quantity of fuel. you sure can't cheat a auto guy (who is used to all these tricks!!!)

and congrats on your first post!
Old 19th February 2008, 15:58   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
this is the best strategy. these auto guys when done with refueling, use a dip stick to check the quantity of fuel. you sure can't cheat a auto guy (who is used to all these tricks!!!)

and congrats on your first post!
Well I have a different experience. I used to fill from pump near Chatushrungi in Pune. It always has quite a few ricks all the time. But the guys always used to try and cheat me... yes always, in spite of shouting at them every time in front of other customers. May be they don't cheat only the autos..and recover their losses (gains?) from other vehicles.

Anyway, they used to try the simplest trick of not resetting to zero and continuing to fill from previous reading. As they were reluctant to change in spite of my yelling at them a number of times, I changed a bit.

I used to keep a watch on this - allow them to fill fuel without resetting for a few seconds (may be for a few 5-10rs) - catch them red handed and then ask them to reset to zero and restart the filling. I succeeded almost every time and got that much (5-10rs) of petrol extra.

Now I have stopped going to that pump as I think it was not worth dealing with these guys every time i had to fill. Now go a extra mile to one on FC Rd, Aundh rd junction for peace of mind.
Old 19th March 2008, 13:32   #81
Senior - BHPian

Fuel pumps cheating - my experience

This in Chennai.
Normally I go to fill when my car nearly runs on vapor instead of petrol, that means I clock about 70 kms after the Low fuel light comes up.
This Monday, as usual, I went to a station in North Chennai and asked the guy to fill for Rs.2,000. I knew exactly where the needle will go after I fill 40 Liters.
They guy said "See Zero Saar".
I said "OK".
Then the guy who took money from me, showed back to me "Saar, please check.. You have given me Four Five hundreds.. OK Saar? It is Two Thousand Rupees".
(Having read the trick here in BHP, I was fully aware of the trick and was prepared for it).
Few seconds later the guy says 'Saar, See I have filled for 300 rupees"
I Said Stop right there. Give me back Rupees 1700"
Then he said 'Saary saar, saary saar, I will now fill correctly saar, Please saar".
I went to the fuel meter in the car and it didnt even move from where it was.
That means he never filled a drop of fuel in the car, while the meter read Rs.300. Also I noticed the Liters meter was Blank.!!!
Then I called up the manager of the station and showed him what these boys were doing.
I just told the manager, "dont penalize him", And I told the two guys, don't cheat... You will never sleep peacefully in the night..."
The boys, thanked me with tears in their eyes.
I said 'I could have gone to police or to Press, and they would be more than happy for doing a sting operation on the station and the name of their company will ruin, apart from you loosing your job.'
But, I wanted the boys to learn and correct themselves.

Anyways, here are some tips (thought worth repeating)
1. Watch both the meters of Rupees and Liters. (If one is not showing anything, there is trouble).
2. When setting Zero, both the meters should go to 8888.88 and then to 0000.00.
3. When any guy fills Rs.200 or Rs.300 wrongly, stop there, and check your fuel meter. Sure there would be no change in the level. That means they never fill any petrol for the first 300 Rupees and they actually start filling only after they do the second resetting.

So, Folks, that was my experience..!!!
Old 19th March 2008, 13:41   #82
BHPian

Raja.. Good that you were prepared.

I noticed that you live close to me. You can try the petrol bunk at Velachery Main Road near Gurunanak college.
Old 19th March 2008, 14:00   #83
Senior - BHPian

And never ever pay before you get the petrol filled, always pay after the filling is done. That way you're in control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
I Said Stop right there. Give me back Rupees 1700"
So, Folks, that was my experience..!!!
Old 19th March 2008, 14:10   #84
Senior - BHPian

Raja, maybe I am a little slow, but I did not understand the part about the filling for 300 bucks. I mean, you asked him to put for 2000bucks, right ? So, he would key in the amount and then fill for that amount, right ? Where is 300 bucks coming here in the picture ?

Also, as dadu said very correctly, pay after getting the fuel.

And BTW, why dont you just tell him to put it in auto-cutoff so that after fuel for 2000Rs goes in, it stops automatically ? Their hands need to be off that nozzle - to avoid them cheating.
Old 19th March 2008, 14:13   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Raja, maybe I am a little slow, but I did not understand the part about the filling for 300 bucks. I mean, you asked him to put for 2000bucks, right ? So, he would key in the amount and then fill for that amount, right ? Where is 300 bucks coming here in the picture ?

Also, as dadu said very correctly, pay after getting the fuel.

And BTW, why dont you just tell him to put it in auto-cutoff so that after fuel for 2000Rs goes in, it stops automatically ? Their hands need to be off that nozzle - to avoid them cheating.
If you ask for fuel for a certain amount, this is bound to happen. Why not stick to say 40 liters and keep a hawk's eye on both rupee and liter display?

I am alarmed to see this happen so often in Bangalore and Chennai, i am yet to come across such an incident here in Hyderabad.
Old 19th March 2008, 14:40   #86
BHPian

mobike008,

The "Indian Oil bunk after HPS-Begumpet" always tries to cheat. I catch them each and every time. Got fed up and now I shifted to HP which is close to my house and so far so good.
Old 19th March 2008, 15:09   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajen83 View Post
mobike008,

The "Indian Oil bunk after HPS-Begumpet" always tries to cheat. I catch them each and every time. Got fed up and now I shifted to HP which is close to my house and so far so good.
This is news to me. I have tried HP, BP and IOC in several locations across Hyderabad and no complaints. However, i like IOC quality of fuel the best.
Old 19th March 2008, 15:28   #88
Senior - BHPian

Well, a trivia for all you folks in this thread.

A LPG pump will never start until resetting it to Zero liters and Rupees. So i never had a issue like above. but i am sure theres a einstein in every bunk. I will watch out

LPG Fillers, any1 had a issue?
Old 19th March 2008, 15:34   #89
BHPian

I regularly fill up at HPS-Begumpet petrol bunk. I usually fill Extra Premium full tank and have not observed the Rs 200 trick so far. I get around 11 -12 km on my Swift ZXi with a/c in Hyderabad traffic. Will try some other petrol pump this time and compare.
Old 19th March 2008, 16:30   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajen83 View Post
mobike008,

rajen i think u r speaking about Sivam auto. I am filling up in that bunk for 4 years now and i only was cheated once for 5 liters.

I wanted to add System-D in my indica, he told me that he will fill 5 liters and then add the System-D as it will mix better. He filled 5 liters and then added System-D. Later he filled 30 liters which is what i asked him to fill.

But when i am paying he said that he filled 35 liters, 5 liters initially and 30 after adding System-D. I felt something is not right, but since i was not aware of these practices i paid for 35 liters and drove home.

Most Viewed