Old 20th March 2008, 12:21   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by visu03 View Post
Sorry I explained it wrong.

He filled 5 liters
Filled System-D
Continue to fill and stop when meter showed 30 liters

But while paying he said that he has reset the meter after filling 5 liters.

, Then you were definetly cheated!
Old 5th May 2008, 18:03   #107
BHPian

Fueling Tips for your Automobiles

One of the mail forwards that I received from a friend is this note on fueling tips. I'm yet to ascertain if this would make significant difference to FE but will revert with the figures the next time I go in for tanking up my car. Has anyone tried this before? Please comment.

I personally feel, this should make a difference.

Tips on filling your vehicles... This is a message received from a friend: i don't know what you guys are paying for petrol... But here in durban, we are also paying higher, up to 47.35 per litre. But my line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every litre. Here at the marian hill pipeline, where i work in durban, we deliver about 4 million litres in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline. One day is diesel; the next day is jet fuel, and petrol, lrp and unleaded. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 litres. Only buy or fill up your car or bikkie in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground, the denser the fuel, when it gets warmer petrol expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening.... Your litre is not exactly a litre. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products play an important role. A 1degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

Compiled by ramesh patel on 16.03.2008 @ 10:00hrs. Page 1 of 2
When you're filling up, do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look, you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low,

Compiled by ramesh patel on 16.03.2008 @ 10:00hrs. Page 2 of 2
Middle, and high. In slow mode, you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created, while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapour return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapour. Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money. One of the most important tips is to fill up when your tank is half full. The reason for this is, the more fuel you have in your tank, the less air occupying its empty space. Petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. Petroleum storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where i work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated, so that every litre is actually the exact amount. Another reminder, if there is a fuel truck pumping into the storage tanks, when you stop to buy, do not fill up - most likely the petrol/diesel is being stirred up as the fuel is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th May 2008 at 18:06. Reason: Removed Font tags & changed formating
Old 5th May 2008, 20:41   #108
Senior - BHPian

DirtyHarry, I too received that chain mail a few days ago, but replied to the sender saying that I had read that string in Team-BHP a couple of months ago! Not sure what the title of the thread was.
Old 5th May 2008, 20:45   #109
Senior - BHPian

This one's been doing the rounds for a while now. Pretty logical stuff.
Old 5th May 2008, 21:41   #110
BHPian

Hi ,

I went through the entire thread and I was aware of pretty much all the tricks mentioned . But I didn't quite understand the STOP-START thing.

Does this Stop START thing or pumping in bursts cheat you ? How ?

So I am to tell him to set the amt/litres and put the nozzle in the tank , start and then let go of it till it pumps in the entire quantity ?

But I have noticed sometimes that the thing stops all by itself before the qty is dispensed and he has to retract it slightly and then press it to continue ... why is this ?
Old 17th May 2008, 12:43   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Yes. the "Rupees 300" was never in the picture. The guys keep you engaged in conversation and suddenly he tells you "OK. Saar, Three Hundred rupees Saar." and Tries to reset the machine to Zero asap. Unless you catch him right there, he would reset (The actual reset takes place here) instantly and your Rs.300 will not show up in the meter again.

I always used to Fill in Rupees, just to avoid the change crisis.
As I said, I didnt face this trick until I was in the suburbs. The City guys thought they were smart...

And Yes, paying after filling is the best idea and I will follow that too..

And my best indicator is my fuel gauge. It doesn't cheat and I will go after the guys if that doesnt satisfy me...
I always set the Trip-A meter to Zero everytime I fill and refill at almost dry, (Below the last mark of the fuelgauge).
There is a BP outlet between Medavalkkam and Pallikaranai. It has a that big hoarding which says its company owned and company operated. They follow the above trick very often. They did this to me 4 times within a span for 4-5 weeks. I caught them red handed once and they pleaded guilty and apologized. Have filed a complaint on this outlet on the BP website.
Old 17th May 2008, 13:04   #112
BHPian

Coming from a pump owning family, the tricks of the trade are there, simply file a complaint against the pump attendant.

90% of the time the trick of the short burst filling and resetting of the meters is for the benefit of the attendant, this malpractice goes unnoticed by the owner. (Who incidentally gets penalised at the end if there is a complaint).

With the new pumps (digital display pumps) at IOC the tube connecting to the nozzle and pump has been caliberated, the display will show only the quantity dispensed (which flows out of the nozzle at the end of the pipe)

The owners resort generally to adulterated fuel. This is a controlled operation with naptha being mixed with petrol (all grades) and kerosene being mixed with diesel. Very rampant in the north.

Heck even us owners have to be careful against the fuel truck guys, we have to let the truck wait for over two hours for the fuel to settle within the tank before unloading to underground tanks. This is to decant the fuel, else the stick which is used to measure the underground tank quantity reads a higher reading.

Most of our customers are non automobile users of auto fuels They come with 200 litre cans which we have to fill, not promoting our enterprise but quantity and quality are 100% up to the mark else we loose business. Logic follows that if there are a lot of non auto users & taxis tanking up at a particular pump its 99% genuine fuel.

Cheers

M M
Old 17th May 2008, 14:34   #113
Senior - BHPian

Hello MM,

Great to get a point of view from the owner shoes.

True that these attendant-based pliferage is often for benefits for the attendants themselves. But I do believe that the owners have to own up the responsibility and make sure that their customers are getting the quality that they are supposed to, as you have done.
Old 17th May 2008, 18:31   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Hello MM,

Great to get a point of view from the owner shoes.

True that these attendant-based pliferage is often for benefits for the attendants themselves. But I do believe that the owners have to own up the responsibility and make sure that their customers are getting the quality that they are supposed to, as you have done.
HappyWheels, well not being dependent on the oil trade and since the pump is a very old endeavour within the family it is a different story with quality and consistency. However the rule of the thumb is that if one gets 20 lakhs from a pump in a month with adulteration and some being passed onto the company officials and people down the line who care ? Had the pump been our only business we would have sold it and deployed the proceeds elsewhere.

The trade does not remunerate honesty. Yet none the less there are cases say 1 out of 20 which are honest, once again depending upon the quantity they do. If one does a huge quantity they may not resort to it. However there are cases where the transport guys pilfer from the tanker before it reaches the pump, here in this case in the urban areas, most oil PSUs provide their own tankers.

If you remember there was an IIT engineer who got killed for exposing corruption within the pumps. The engineer was an oil PSU employee.

The pumps are cash cows which fuel you know who comes asking around every 5 years

I know of a pump here in Mumbai near the Hiranandani area which was penalised for selling adulterated fuel. So the practice is rampant, all you need to ensure that you are focussed and attentive on the fill. Just make some important statements, note down the local representatives name and number, and mention to the attendant that did Mr. so and so come there, if even if you end up meeting him at the pump ask the PSU representative what measures do you have for prevention of adulteration.

Just a pointer so that the attendant knows you are a VIP. Heck, they dont even ask me money whenever I fill up at our pump.

cheers.

M M

Last edited by Samurai : 20th May 2008 at 13:57. Reason: removed extra smiley
Old 22nd September 2008, 15:50   #115
BHPian

BPCL bunk - Mogappair, Chennai - short fuelling trick !

I was almost a victim of the short fuelling trick today. Here goes the story.

Incident happened at the BPCL company outlet , Mogappair (on the Thirumangalam - Ambattur Estate road).

I went to the bunk and asked the attendant to fill for Rs.500 . There was one more BPCL attendant standing near my car when the other guy was filling . I checked the zero reset and the guy starts filling the petrol. Meanwhile the other guy starts talking abt the Petro card and the benefits of it. The guy who was filling the petrol turns to me and says i have filled for Rs.100 . I told him that i asked for Rs.500 and the other guy acknowledges me . Now i sensed some kind of trick these two are trying to play with me. So i was expecting him to stop at Rs.400 and turn me to say that its done. He then turned to me and said the same, . I told him that he did not reset to zero after filling for Rs.100. He immediately turned back without uttering a word and filled until the meter read Rs.500.

I know the manager of that BPCL unit and am going to report the incident to him this weekend. So guys using that bunk please watchout . I had been using this bunk ever since they opened and this is the first time i had witnessed a scenario like this.
Old 22nd September 2008, 16:52   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
I was almost a victim of the short fuelling trick today. Here goes the story.

Incident happened at the BPCL company outlet , Mogappair (on the Thirumangalam - Ambattur Estate road).

I went to the bunk and asked the attendant to fill for Rs.500 . There was one more BPCL attendant standing near my car when the other guy was filling . I checked the zero reset and the guy starts filling the petrol. Meanwhile the other guy starts talking abt the Petro card and the benefits of it. The guy who was filling the petrol turns to me and says i have filled for Rs.100 . I told him that i asked for Rs.500 and the other guy acknowledges me . Now i sensed some kind of trick these two are trying to play with me. So i was expecting him to stop at Rs.400 and turn me to say that its done. He then turned to me and said the same, . I told him that he did not reset to zero after filling for Rs.100. He immediately turned back without uttering a word and filled until the meter read Rs.500.

I know the manager of that BPCL unit and am going to report the incident to him this weekend. So guys using that bunk please watchout . I had been using this bunk ever since they opened and this is the first time i had witnessed a scenario like this.
I have used this pump a few times have never come across till now. May be next time I should be careful. Incidentally I regularly fill in the BPCL opposite Pachiappa's College, once there was a bike guy who was arguing about being short filling. Looks like this is becoming an endemic problem now.
Old 24th September 2008, 13:11   #117
NitinGirish

Please do not buy petrol from the IOC bunk in Madhapur. The one at the circle after Ginger Court. I dont know what he puts in your tank in the name of fuel. Had to get my fuel tank and carburetor cleaned twice.

Old 24th September 2008, 21:35   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
WOW! Thanks SupremeBaleno; excatly why my car gives a varied FE from 2 gas stations!

now i realize , why i am getting different FEs too. I will keep on eye next time onward.. Thanks to you cheers:
Old 25th September 2008, 00:56   #119
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the issue of specific density of fuel, has anybody from Pune been to the BP COCO opp. RTO, near Sangam Bridge? It has been under renovation since the last few months, and even the pumps have been changed. I noticed that the pumps now seem to have a digital display for "density". It however did not have any units next to the display window... so would I be right in assuming its giving a read out of the current specific gravity? If yes, then the intresting point is that does this pump have specific gravity sensors that montor the fuel dispensed? If yes, then filling in the day/night would be irrelevant.

Anybody knows beter... or any comments?
Old 25th September 2008, 10:37   #120
Senior - BHPian

There should also be a red LED and green LED along with the display. If its Red, fuel is not as per recommended density.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Regarding the issue of specific density of fuel, has anybody from Pune been to the BP COCO opp. RTO, near Sangam Bridge? It has been under renovation since the last few months, and even the pumps have been changed. I noticed that the pumps now seem to have a digital display for "density". It however did not have any units next to the display window... so would I be right in assuming its giving a read out of the current specific gravity? If yes, then the intresting point is that does this pump have specific gravity sensors that montor the fuel dispensed? If yes, then filling in the day/night would be irrelevant.

Anybody knows beter... or any comments?

Most Viewed