Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2019, 16:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dangerous trend due to bright DRLs = Drivers forgetting to switch their headlamps on!

Seltos owners are city driving in the night with just their DRLs on. I mistook the brightness for low beams, but it is quite good - actually. Doesn't blind oncoming vehicles.
Old 3rd October 2019, 16:50   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Dangerous trend due to bright DRLs = Drivers forgetting to switch their headlamps on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I have no problem on this front with my BMW.

I permanently keep the switch on Auto mode. It means its switched off when the car is off and while running it will auto switch on based on external lighting conditions.
Normally I do that too. Unfortunately, with my Octavia (and in most VAG cars I assume) if you keep the HL in Auto mode, the powerful HL washers operate on every 5th wash cycle.

So, I've had cases where I've wanted a quick windscreen spray, only to find a deluge of liquid all over the bonnet and even on the roof & boot depending on the speed of the car . If you've spent 2 hours on cleaning the car, it can be a complete pain....
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 16:59   #18
BHPian

Simply, why can't the manufactures keep the tails lights ON when ever the car is ON, like on the bike.
Why bother putting another DRL tail lamp.

Most of the vehicles come with LEDs tail lamps, they don't even drain much power like the old lights.
iamahunter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 17:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
.. for some bad luck if an idiot coming behind your car drives like you
Man, that is one gutsy statement to make. You are a courageous man.

On a serious note, my car doesn't have DRL's. It does have Auto Headlamps, but if at times it is not in auto mode, I easily realize it and turn them on.
vinit.merchant is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 17:54   #20
BHPian

Weird trend which borders on being lazy + careless. Akin to not using turn indicators. Why bother? I am the opposite. 99% of my drives start from a basement. So headlights are always on, and switched off if there is “clear light of day” [for those aware of CryEngine], else left on. I feel hazard warning systems are useless in India — since no one looks out for them, or responds appropriately when they are on and/or hot! DRL night users will thus put on headlights on HB, dwarfing everything in their path anyways.
asingh1977 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 22:48   #21
VVN
BHPian

Thank you for this thread GTO. Much needed. I am a frequent user of the WEH in Bombay and this has become rampant. In some cases, drivers genuinely forget to turn on the headlights but in most of the cases, it is just sheer arrogance (Evident because they continue despite people pointing it out). No matter how bright the DRL is, it will not have the same throw as a headlight and the driver will eventually know.

Another trend I have noticed is the use of extremely bright fog lamps. Some drivers simply replace the stock fog lamps with something really bright and then refuse to use the headlights.I don't think Govt regulations will help here because a replacement is cheap and it is as simple as plug and play. Modern day Activas too have become a nuisance with their blinding DRLs.

Here's an image of a hazardous aftermarket "DRL" that has become common.
Attached Thumbnails
Dangerous trend due to bright DRLs = Drivers forgetting to switch their headlamps on!-duster_light.jpg  

Last edited by VVN : 3rd October 2019 at 22:49.
VVN is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 09:56   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is really a dangerous trend, guys. Am spotting way too many cars with their DRLs on + headlamps off
So true. Worst is when these guys are driving later in the night on calm clear roads without traffic. When I used to work in shifts and return home late (so late that it was "early") this was the biggest headache. Balenos, Endeavors etc being driven with DRLs and with serious ignorance towards lane discipline. With street-lights a dream in many areas still, the lack of their tail-lamps, our judiciousness of not driving on high-beams means reaction time is very less in case of any unusual movements. Especially with premium cars - they tend to be black too!

Whats worst is - its not just ignorance. Most premium cars HAVE automatic head-lamps. Yet - These people are intentionally switching to manual & continuing to drive with DRLs for the bling! Its disappointing and scary to know that even today people with such levels of lack of knowledge about road safety are driving around with valid driving licenses in our country.

Often these tended to be evidently drink-and-drive cases. Folks driving back after some unwinding late in the night so cars generally did not like straight line driving either. No point in reasoning with such folk for own safety in such cases. Its like we needed extra stress while driving home late in the night. One more item to watch-out for.

Regulations are in place, but so are morons. Thats the problem. I think the only real workable solution for this is to have RED TAIL DRLs that are linked to front DRLs. These should be ON when DRLs are ON. At least that way mortal humans like us can see these ignorant folk from behind and ensure our own safety. Just a couple of LEDs on each side somewhere in the bumper / tail cluster would be more than enough.

Last edited by Reinhard : 4th October 2019 at 09:58.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 10:32   #23
BHPian

This is the biggest gripe I have with our Ignis. The LED DRLs are extremely bright and can be almost blinding for the oncoming vehicles. I always turn on the fog lamps in the evenings and nights so that they are dimmed to an extent where it is not much of a bother.

When you turn one step on the lights stalk, the brightness of the instrument cluster and infotainment system go low, so why not the DRLs as well? If this can be linked, it will solve the problem to a large extent. Also, like we have automatic headlamps, why not automatic DRLs as well?
satrikon_454 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 11:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

This phenomenon is not just limited to night driving but also driving in foggy / rainy or overcast conditions. Add a few tunnels and most folks just don't turn on their lights! I mean how hard is it? It doesn't even cost you anything. I'm even more surprised to find this on cars with automatic headlights. Do owners deliberately keep it in the off position?

On my last Mumbai-Pune trip, the sky got overcast real fast and it was raining heavily in no time. Of the 100s of cars on the road, maybe 3 had their headlights on. What people ignore is if your tail lights are on, they help people behind from not hitting you. And don't get me started on the menace of hazard lights the moment they go inside tunnels or a few drops of rainfall.

My rule is simple. Keep parking lights on all the time - they keep rear brake lights on. And head lights / fogs come up the moment I feel the visibility is going to go down. Even a simple headlights linked to car clock can work wonders, no need of any fancy hardware / sensors etc.

Last edited by blackwasp : 4th October 2019 at 11:59.
blackwasp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 12:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I have done it couple of times on my i20. This happens especially if there is fair amount of street light.
Old 4th October 2019, 12:26   #26
BHPian

No point ranting here i feel. Tougher rules and even stricter enforcement is the only solution to these kind of problems. Just like ABS, airbags are becoming mandatory i feel auto headlamps must be made mandatory whose intensity adjusts with the darkness/ brightness outside just like our mobile phone screens.

OT: I see few morons who drive with ORVMs folded in to avoid scratching because it's a brand new car or something. However well he may be driving i know such cars must be quickly passed and not followed.
bharatbits is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 12:47   #27
BHPian

Saw an XUV-500 2nd Gen parked at Nagasandara Metro Parking with the DRL's on. 2nd Gen XUV500 has no auto DRL's and had to be manually pushed on although it has a auto Headlight function(manual). The driver would have been driving in day with DRL's on and must have forgot to switch off while going away. The tail lamps and the DRl's were on all the time. So much battery use for a DRL which is hardly visible in day time.

On the topic: Yes that behavior is very dangerous as driver may fail to spot objects or person on the road due to low illumination. In the low end models there are no DRL's and even if there are there is no Auto Headlight function.
Old 4th October 2019, 13:49   #28
Senior - BHPian

I wanted myself NOT to comment here but could not resist from writing my thoughts.

First of all, the head lights are meant for the drivers to provide clear vision during darkness.

If the DRLs are really bright enough for the drivers to see the objects clearly in the dark, what is harm in NOT turning ON the headlights? If DRLs are NOT bright enough, naturally, they will definitely switch ON the headlights. They are, after all, owners of the cars and will be worried about the damages that may occur due to lack of vision while driving in dark.

Most of the posts here are assuming
1. Either that the driver will be unattentive to the darkness of the environment while driving with bright DRLs and Hence, wont turn ON the head lights

OR

2. They are saving the Electricity Bills by NOT switching ON the headlights.

Both these assumptions are false. Hence, I think, having really Bright DRLs and NOT switching ON headlights is not a cause for concern is my opinion.

I agree that rear lamps should be turned on along with DRLs so that rear ending is avoided. This is the only cause for concern for NOT switching ON Headlights.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 14:29   #29
VVN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
I wanted myself NOT to comment here but could not resist from writing my thoughts.

First of all, the head lights are meant for the drivers to provide clear vision during darkness.

If the DRLs are really bright enough for the drivers to see the objects clearly in the dark, what is harm in NOT turning ON the headlights? If DRLs are NOT bright enough, naturally, they will definitely switch ON the headlights. They are, after all, owners of the cars and will be worried about the damages that may occur due to lack of vision while driving in dark.

I agree that rear lamps should be turned on along with DRLs so that rear ending is avoided. This is the only cause for concern for NOT switching ON Headlights.
DRLs are not adjusted like your regular headlights and literally blind oncoming traffic or at times even via the ORVM/IRVM. Regular headlamps do not blind you.
VVN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 15:03   #30
BHPian

My thoughts.

1. Just having DRL's on can cause a false sense of clarity for the driver, i assuming especially so when it rains. On our highways anything can pop up out of no-where and its better we have proper illumination of the road ahead

2. I believe when the other road user is only using DRL's , this is way better than them driving with high beams ON in city limits.

3. On the high ways just having DRL's at night can be dangerous also for the other cars who may not notice you especially coming from around a curve.

4. Auto headlights are a good hedge but this wont solve the problem as at least in my car i have the option to go manual too

5. Enforcement has its own pros and cons, awareness helps but then again personal choice takes over.

The only practical way is that we use our headlamps ( flash) and honk (precautionary and gently) when we drive, assuming there are many modern cars with DRLs that are being used as pseudo head lamps out there, who may miss seeing us or vice versa.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks