Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2019, 21:42   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyderabad Metro and the way it changed my intra-city home to work commute

The AC is useless when you are traveling during peak hours, wonder how they ignored side AC vents. I have tried driving car from my home, can reach Baiyappanahalli faster than metro, 40 minutes for 21 km. The real problem is in reaching Whitefield from Baiyappanahalli. The lack of space to keep bags, loss of network during travel adds to the problem. The absence of a skywalk at Baiyappanahalli is another headache during evening.
Old 1st November 2019, 23:37   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
People underestimate what commuting stress does to them, and the knock-on effects on their non-commuting life. Switching to a less stressful mode of transport is worth it for that alone, any material savings (time/money) is a bonus.
So true. I used the company bus/transport (it did not save time, but took out the stress of having to drive myself) for nearly 10 years. Travelling by bus also had its own benefits:
  • Making new friends (two companies sharing the same transport)
  • Sharing stories and discussions on so many topics (no one would be on the phone)
  • Often somebody would bring some delicacies from home or buy snacks for everyone from the canteen
  • Card game or UNO (every day)
  • Antakshari or other games
  • Yearly bus group treks or outings
  • Bus group partying
  • Once in a blue moon the bus would break down and we could reach office late (you could officially be late)
  • Reach the office and leave the office at fixed times (meetings get adjusted to your time)
  • Morning trip was nap time for most people while I would spend the morning reading books
Traveling by bus used to take more time (compared to a bike or car if you were able to work around the peak times) but because of all the things happening in the bus, we had no cause for complaints.

This was while travelling to Hinjwadi in Pune from the city. I then left the bus since I wanted to be back home by 4 p.m. to do carpentry work. So started going early to office and coming back early. And then our office shifted to the city (Balewadi High Street) and there was no bus from near my house. So now I travel by bike (most of the year), car (rainy season) or bicycle. I still the miss the travel by the company bus.
Old 26th November 2019, 22:49   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Chennai metro is good too, only issue is lack of coverage, probably one of the smallest network in any metro. Expansion work might take at lease half a decade easily, entire network might take an entire decade at least.
Chennai Metro is very nice. Had the opportunity to travel from Meenambakkam to Central, minimal crowd as compared to Delhi Metro. Had to travel from Central to Meenambakkam in a cab (midnight) and it felt like travelling in a rocking boat.

Last edited by ampere : 26th November 2019 at 23:05. Reason: trimmed quoted post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks