Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2019, 12:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Uber in US: 3,045 sexual assaults in 2018

According to a media report, 3,045 sexual assaults took place during Uber rides in the US in 2018. 9 people were murdered and 58 were killed in crashes. The number of incidents reported is 0.0002% of the 1.3 billion Uber rides in the country in 2018.

Uber in US: 3,045 sexual assaults in 2018-uber.jpg

The number of sexual assault cases in 2017 is said to be 2,936. The same year, there were also 49 fatalities in accidents and 10 murders during Uber trips.

According to the Uber Safety Report, motor vehicle accident fatalities included drivers, riders as well as third parties including cyclists and pedestrians. Fatal physical assault case victims included drivers, riders as well as third party members. Both drivers and riders are victims of sexual assault cases. The riders are the accused in 45% of the cases between 2017 and 2018. Uber claims that between 2017 and 2018, there has been a 16% decrease in the average incident rate of the 5 most serious sexual assault categories.

Uber claims to screen all driver's criminal history background and over 40,000 drivers have been reportedly removed from the app. Between 2017 and 2018, one million prospective drivers failed the screening process.

The report did not give any information on incidents in other countries Uber operates in.

Link to Team-BHP News

Source: 1, 2
ChiragM is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 13:00   #2
BHPian

Re: Uber in US: 3,045 sexual assaults in 2018

This information is so useful to showcase that this phenomenon is so prevalent in a country that most people perceive to be very safe. I think India gets unnecessary flak on this front even though it's one of the safest countries in the world for women and considering that it's large country with huge population and most of its areas, especially rural, are under policed. Going to share this thread in some WhatsApp group where people unnecessary criticize.

What shocked me is that 55% of the victims are drivers! Becoming an Uber driver is more unsafe than a rider in the US.
amit1agrawal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 13:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Women tend to drive a lot more cabs in US than in India. I was surprised to find that there was a fair share of women in in driving Bus & Forklift in US. The fact that anyone can carry a Gun in the US is one of the scariest part of an Uber driver. No wonder the riders are the accused in 45% of the cases.
oxyzen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 14:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1agrawal View Post
This information is so useful to showcase that this phenomenon is so prevalent in a country that most people perceive to be very safe.
Benchmarking with US in terms of safety is a bad idea. Not many people realize that the crime rate in US very high owing to the rampant gun availability there. Add to that extreme poverty and money concentration. Its a rich mans country and all the glitter we see is for a few lakhs people maybe. A lot of people there struggle to meet ends and working multiple jobs is not uncommon.

A Uber is a easy option for that second job.
2000rpm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 09:38   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
According to a media report, 3,045 sexual assaults took place during Uber rides in the US in 2018.
Important to note that these are accusations, and not proven?

Quote:
The number of incidents reported is 0.0002% of the 1.3 billion Uber rides in the country in 2018.
The other way of looking at it is that 99.9% of Uber rides are safe.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the numbers are inaccurate or that Uber is the safest option out there. But it is "safe enough", especially with all the new initiatives we have seen over the last two years. As is the case with every other thing we do, it is important to keep precautions in mind. As an example, if it's a late night, I'll always accompany a woman to her doorstep, irrespective of whether we're in an Uber or my own car.
Old 10th December 2019, 19:52   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As an example, if it's a late night, I'll always accompany a woman to her doorstep, irrespective of whether we're in an Uber or my own car.
So, in the daytime you don’t?

I’m sure you do.

Also my English ma’am told me that if you are walking with a woman, to walk on the traffic side. Keep your woman on the safe side.
hangover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 21:32   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Perhaps, as taxi aggregators they should have a law (the US can do it without any hassles) to make it mandatory to print the number of sexual assaults updated every year, in their respective cabs, below the logo on the cab and everywhere they print it for advertisement and publicity.

UBER's new logo will read :-
UBER
3045 sexual assaults

Most Viewed