Team-BHP > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: How Many Driving Years Have you Got left?
I am done with Driving already! 4 1.05%
About 5-7 years more 11 2.89%
About a Decade or two more 52 13.65%
Are you kidding me? I will drive to my grave! 314 82.41%
Voters: 381. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2019, 13:01   #31
BHPian

Re: How many "Driving Years" do you think you have left?

I would like to drive till I die, but somehow i dont think it will happen...

The roads and road manners aren't improving. Traffic on roads is steadily increasing. I surprise myself sometimes when I happily jump into the passenger seat and hand over the keys to my wife to do some of those drives through the city..

Still love to drive, but not sure for how long.
Old 15th December 2019, 15:43   #32
Senior - BHPian

For me, driving is like bad habit. Obviously last one is the only option I have.

Many people leave good habits if required. But cannot leave bad habits even doctor scares them to death.

If eyes goes off, I can smell the road and drive. If ears goes off, I can taste the sound and drive. But, if driving goes off, I can not live with anything else
Old 16th December 2019, 10:54   #33
BHPian

This is a very important topic. Although most of us swear by the Team-BHP slogan "Live to Drive", the traffic conditions and the chaos around it is really frustrating most of us. So no wonder many of us in Bangalore are really fed up with the hopeless infra and even are scared to meet your close relatives and friends just as the thought of "Traffic". I enjoy driving in Highways and on empty roads in City on Sunday mornings. Driving conditions is most probably one major driving factor for most of us in mid to late forties to consider "early retirement "
Old 16th December 2019, 11:05   #34
BHPian

I am just 34 now. If I live that long, I would be driving till 60-65 for sure
Old 16th December 2019, 12:00   #35
VVN
BHPian

Voted for a decade or 2 more. Maybe less if it has to be in India. I feel extremely uncomfortable when I am in the car and not behind the wheels. The urge to drive is simply too high to give up now. But the stress caused by stupid drivers is also hard to ignore. Just yesterday I was returning from Bangalore airport at 11 in the night, expecting the drive to be smooth. Midway, a Honda BRV just cut in very dangerously causing me to swerve into a different lane. I love driving but I also love peace of mind and may have to give up driving sooner unless I plan to relocate to a country with better drivers / road manners.
VVN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 12:15   #36
Senior - BHPian

Not sure how many more years I got, but one thing that will always remain:

LIVE TO DRIVE, DRIVE TILL ALIVE!
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 12:18   #37
BHPian

Well, am one of those crazies who don't get too bothered driving a manual in chock-a-block traffic as well, so yeah am definitely going to to be driving till my grave! I am known in my family and friends circle who will be ready to take the car out at the slightest excuse. And its not like I have just started driving, have been driving for 20 years now!
And I don'd need to look too far for inspiration either, as my dad (at 66) is still a very active driver and drives a manual too!
abhii176 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 12:37   #38
BHPian

The reason I am into cars is due to my passion of driving.

I dont mind the type of vehicle, vintage, handling, engine of cars or the traffic, terrain and condition of roads.

If I am on the road, all i want to do is drive.

So chose the last option. Will do until I am able to. Cheers !
Old 16th December 2019, 12:43   #39
BHPian

Nice Thread !! Voted for the last option ;

I guess I will continue driving as long as I enjoy it ; Given the current city traffic situations across India - it's not very enjoyable when you are driving in the city;But once I'm outside city limits and cruising on the Highway , or taking the hair pin bends in the hills, that's when I enjoy it most ; and hopefully I will continue it for a long time to come !!
Old 16th December 2019, 12:57   #40
BHPian

My grandfather drove his cars, last one being FIAT till he was bed ridden in his eighties, he even drove his Pontiac from Coonoor to Ahmedabad in sixties - my father does it even now passionately and I am going to do till health prevails
There is only one major stress buster and that is to sit behind the wheel and press the throttle - forever it would be !
Cooltronics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 13:55   #41
BHPian

As a person who is not legally allowed to drive yet, I am all excited to get my license next year. And ofcourse, I voted for the last option although seeing Bangalore traffic puts me off a little. Hoping the condition gets better.
Old 16th December 2019, 13:56   #42
BHPian

All the woes you've listed are ones that most of us can empathise with.

Even the highways during long weekends seem to be congested.

However, there is still that joy of being able to drive when all good things come together - family, occasion, time, weather, location (not to be confused with destination) and of course the car.

In just 13 years of driving, it seems that such opportunities have reduced, but maybe that's why I feel driving is still joyful, to enjoy those not-so-frequent-anymore moments of bliss.

Today, I've voted for the last option, but as others mentioned, we don't know what the future holds in store for us, in terms of technology or regulations... Anyway, I live to drive (as long as I am able to) :-)
Old 16th December 2019, 14:32   #43
Senior - BHPian

About 10 years ago, while we were dating, that if I ever let someone else drive my car or hire a chauffeur, it means I'm not the person she's with then is not the same guy she's dating/ marrying.

I might choose to Uber it out for commutes. But I'll never not drive my drives as long as I'm able.
Old 16th December 2019, 14:33   #44
GTB
BHPian

Voted for, I will drive to my grave!

I wish I shouldn't awake that morning. If there is a stupid driver on the same road, I drive with more cautious. If there is too much traffic on the road, I will take out a small Automatic. Why would someone quit driving when they enjoy it the most?

Offtopic, Electric cars do scare me.
Old 16th December 2019, 14:39   #45
BHPian

Was asked just yesterday - did that long drive tire you? My response was - "Hell no! I get tired if I am not driving"

Would want to be in the best seat of the best car I can afford, as long as I can drive!!
pahwa is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed