Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2007, 15:10   #1
BHPian

Small accident in parking lot :(((

One tip from my experience... Never try to pick up/make a call when taking the car in/out the parking. The parking lots are the worst enemies of your car. Yesterday, my poor baby was hit by a tree (actually the other way round, but I think, it's the tree's fault), when my attention got diverted by a ringing phone.

Broke my headlight, side indicator and the side-body is badly damaged. Can I just get the side-body replaced? It's the part that runs from the door to the front bumper. If yes, any idea of the costs involved? Also... where do I get it done in Pune?

Last edited by amu1983 : 27th February 2007 at 15:14.
Old 27th February 2007, 15:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Post pics & we would be able to avice you better. Waise if the damage is not too much the fender (that's what it is called!) can be repaired & you wouldn't even know the difference, this saves a lot of money since replacement will be much more expensive.
Old 27th February 2007, 15:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Never give importance to the phone at any time. you can always answer it or call back the person if you miss it. The fender can be replaced, but has to be painted. I would suggest you to claim insurance if you see it is worth it.
Old 27th February 2007, 15:46   #4
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amu1983 View Post
One tip from my experience... Never try to pick up/make a call when taking the car in/out the parking. The parking lots are the worst enemies of your car. Yesterday, my poor baby was hit by a tree (actually the other way round, but I think, it's the tree's fault), when my attention got diverted by a ringing phone.
I agree. In general your concentration does tend to snap while parking. Laziness and impatience can set in, especially after a long drive, and you may fail to properly check the parking space. On one occasion, I saw a stone behind the car, left the car idling, opened the door, cleared out the stone, then stepped into the car and continued reversing. Unfortunately I failed to close the door properly, it opened and hit the wall. The sound and the dent still hurt when I think about them. As for mobiles, I don't find them too distracting -- I don't even slow down my car when I get a call. Maybe the Santro is so easy to handle that taking one hand off is no problem.
Old 27th February 2007, 16:38   #5
Team-BHP Support

fender is the part you are referring to, which car is this and is it brand new or old?
Old 27th February 2007, 16:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the fender is damaged...Which car?
Old 27th February 2007, 17:11   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

A handsfree bluetooth would have helped
Old 27th February 2007, 17:49   #8
BHPian

>> Which car?
Zen, MPFI. Metal Blue color. Old, 2001 make.

I don't think a bluetooth would have helped. It's the mind, not the hands. Talking still needs some concentration, which is what is mostly absent when accidents happen. As I said, my attention was only diverted to the phone. I didn't even pick it up. Sadly, it had to happen right at the time when I was negotiating a difficult turn in the parking.

Last edited by amu1983 : 27th February 2007 at 18:05.
Old 27th February 2007, 17:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
A handsfree bluetooth would have helped
Mag , thats only when some one snatches your mobile and you cant follow him .

Whatever the accessory in use, ultimately answering a call can cause distraction. Would stick to what EL says, a call can be returned always.
Old 27th February 2007, 18:47   #10
BHPian

well written description

Quote:

Broke my headlight, side indicator and the side-body is badly damaged. Can I just get the side-body replaced? It's the part that runs from the door to the front bumper. If yes, any idea of the costs involved? Also... where do I get it done in Pune?
You have put it in a very nice way. Yup, we have been training dogs, cats, all kinds of animals. It is time trees too are taught some manners. First of all they should get out of the way on seeing an approaching car, in reverse or forward. Whats your plan for revenge, cut the tree .

Enough of fun, sorry to hear that. I suggest you carry mobile in your trouser pockets. One you can not easily answer since reaching is difficult and the other you get enough time to think before answering.
Old 27th February 2007, 19:19   #11
BHPian

Fender can be replaced. Just contact your maruti dealer. Ofcourse with the older zens now no longer being produced, they mite end up making some excuse.
Old 27th February 2007, 19:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
>> Which car?
Zen, MPFI. Metal Blue color. Old, 2001 make.
Cant comment on the extent of fender damage without seeing some pics.....

Cost of Replacing: Approx 3K
Fender : Rs 1300-1400
Painting: Rs 1600

Cost of repairing: Rs 1600
Old 27th February 2007, 19:35   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
As for mobiles, I don't find them too distracting -- I don't even slow down my car when I get a call. Maybe the Santro is so easy to handle that taking one hand off is no problem.

My friend, this is what everybody who takes call while driving thinks. even for that matter drunken drivers too confident!.

But what happens?. Ask my fellow BHP'ians
Old 27th February 2007, 20:22   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Mag , thats only when some one snatches your mobile and you cant follow him .

Actually I did chase the gentlemen who were on a Splendor. Never realized the Splendor had any horsepower up until that moment.

Last edited by theMAG : 27th February 2007 at 20:35.
Old 27th February 2007, 20:35   #15
BHPian

Wish everyone believed that the phones were invented for the convenience of the owner and not the caller.

There are a lot of drivers who believe in just the opposite and even take pride in answering a phone while driving in one hand!!

Think twice before you answer a call while driving,... You were not born with a sticker on you saying "Intel 'Quad-core' Inside"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks