Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2020, 23:00   #31
BHPian

Re: Alert! Don't fall for this FASTag fraud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
As mentioned the source of information is top cop in cyber crime, who is a friend and handles hundreds of similar cases on everyday basis.
Out of curiosity, what is the outcome of the investigations on the numerous complaints he is receiving? Any pattern?
Old 22nd January 2020, 23:23   #32
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I read this article the other day, how can that guy be calling himself a cyber security expert when he shared UPI id/pin and even the OTP which was used to register the UPI app on the scamster phone. He should be ashamed of himself and demote himself to some low tech job, I wonder how that company which has employed him has fared so far.
The article wrongly blamed fast tag for this, it's got nothing to do with fast tag, the "cyber security" expert tweeted openly to axis bank, someone say it and prepared a word document, called him and fooled him easily.

The only thing, which i can't comprehend is, how can a bank not track where that amount went when it was always account to account.
DarthVeda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 00:19   #33
Senior - BHPian

All the blame for such scams should go to Jio. They are the ones who gave us super low cost internet. Literally everyone now have a smart phone with Internet. Also their phone numbers lined to bank accounts. The technology is improving so rapidly that even the folk in IT industry are not able to keep up and dont understand how certain systems work.

Most in our country still dont know how to operate a debit card and often ask help of another customer/security guard. How and when will they learn how online banking works? Then comes wallets, then comes UPI and what not. The offers paytm, amazon , google pay gives, most want to try it out and at some time fall prey to fraudsters.

Getting a Fastag and recharging it, finding balance etc etc isnt an easy job for those not familiar with Online Banking and all. No wonder the adoption rate is terrible and good % of those who adopted due to force dont know how to operate and use it with no or low balance.

Last edited by funkykar : 23rd January 2020 at 00:21.
Old 23rd January 2020, 06:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
All the blame for such scams should go to Jio. They are the ones who gave us super low cost internet. Literally everyone now have a smart phone with Internet.
I don't understand how Jio is the culprit here.
They provided low cost internet, yes. This also had positive effects in many other areas.
People can misuse any system, doesn't mean we have to move to stone age to avoid frauds. Oh wait, stones can also be used for criminal activity, let's go beyond that.

Sharing OTP with strangers is as good as inviting a thief into your home. Be alert, be careful. That is the only way to avoid frauds.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 06:45   #35
BHPian

At what point, UPI payment needs OTP? Even during registration, it just send SMS from the mobile and picking up the the mobile number from that message. And rest all based on PIN which needs to be entered in the UPI app directly by the user on his own mobile.

As per the article even if he shared upi pin by mistake, the other party can't do anything with that.

AFAIK, only way someone can loose money in UPI is, approving the payment request by opening up the UPI app and entering the PIN.

This news article seems to be raising false alarm
Old 23rd January 2020, 06:57   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
First of all, I do not believe "Linking the Bank account to Fast Tag account for direct deduction from the bank account"
True. Besides, the toll operators have these hand held devices to scan the Fastag when the regular one doesn't work. I suspect it's only a matter of time before those devices move outside toll booths and go scanning cars in every parking lot

Last edited by ampere : 23rd January 2020 at 07:17. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 23rd January 2020, 08:07   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
I don't understand how Jio is the culprit here.
They provided low cost internet, yes. This also had positive effects in many other areas.
People can misuse any system, doesn't mean we have to move to stone age to avoid frauds. Oh wait, stones can also be used for criminal activity, let's go beyond that.

Sharing OTP with strangers is as good as inviting a thief into your home. Be alert, be careful. That is the only way to avoid frauds.
Thats not what i meant. The sudden adoption of Internet gives very less time to adopt to. People fall prey before they understand how sruffs work. Not everyone is tech savvy. For e.g. my dad was very interested to learn all the online stuff. He just couldnt. He became so uncomfortable to use and after hearing lot of con/scam stories of friends, he went and surrendered his debit card also. Literally gone back couple decades and doing only manual banking.
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:58   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlocksride View Post
True. Besides, the toll operators have these hand held devices to scan the Fastag when the regular one doesn't work. I suspect it's only a matter of time before those devices move outside toll booths and go scanning cars in every parking lot
The money would have to go somewhere electronically and could be recovered. The nuisance for the customer to get it back would be a pain. I'm living my own thanks to HDFC mapping a wrong Tag to my Wallet.
Old 23rd January 2020, 10:54   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
I have been using FASTag from ICICI. For over ten months now. It has an inbuilt wallet and periodically it has been doing the cashback crediting too. It is very unproblematic so far. And, I haven't linked any of my bank accounts with it. It is not required at all.

It is also the right thing NOT to keep much money even in that wallet. You never know when you cross some toll plaza without your own knowledge and will!

So, I recharge my account just before I start, and that too, only that approximate amount.

Once in a toll booth in MP, between Sagar and Narsinghpur, a toll guy told me that the toll amount was not deducted and that I had to pay cash in the cash line. In fact, when I had approached the FASTag lane, they redirected me to one of the cash lanes and made me pay in cash. But a little while after leaving the toll, I received message that showed FASTag deduction. I spoke to them on the number provided on the toll receipt and they assured me of refunds within 48 hours, which hasn't come even after 7 months anyway.

But yes, (a) no linking with bank accounts and (b) no keeping much money in the wallet either. These could be the safety measures.

Soon after I wrote my previous post guess what happened? I got charged again on the Duster!

Not once, but thrice in one day!

Anyway, just cancelled the Fastag this morning. Will plan to pick it up from ICICI soon.
Old 23rd January 2020, 11:02   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
I read this story sometime back and was appalled after learning that, the person who is cheated is a Cyber Security Expert himself. When these scamsters are able to cheat a security expert and think about the common man. High time government runs an educative videos / announcements on how the Fastags work and how they have to be recharged.

FASTag fraud: Cybersecurity expert from Bengaluru shares PIN ..

80's kids might remember the Puliraja campaign for educating the mass on AIDS. It worked well. We need such campaings to educate our people.
Just wow! If I was his friend, I would make fun of him every single day for the rest of his life for being a cyber security guy and falling prey for a really silly thing like forwarding a PIN number to a random (ideally suspicious) number. It is basic common sense that you don't share your bank related data with anybody and this guy did just the opposite. He was served a very delicious dish made from his own stupidity.

On a different note, I would recommend transacting using your credit cards rather than you debit cards or netbanking as you have an added level of safety. Banks take 24 hours to settle the transactions and this is good time for an individual to take action on a transaction in case they feel its not a transaction that they initiated. Banks promptly investigate and refund the transaction back to your credit limit so you are safe that way.

Some banks go that extra mile to call and confirm the transaction with the customer as soon as it happens. Some banks do it for high value transactions and some banks dont bother at all.
Old 23rd January 2020, 11:16   #41
BHPian

This is so ironical. Yesterday I started watching a series "Jamtara" on Netflix which has the exact same premise. Reading this felt like I was reading the script for the first episode. It is surprising to see that in a Facebook/Whatsapp loving nation like ours, people are still falling to such traps. There is so much awareness is being spread on these platform and by the banks, even the OTP messages comes with a statement "XXXXXXXXX nevers calls asking for OTP. Sharing this gives them full access to your XXXXXXXX wallet. Your confidential Login OTP is XXXXXXXXXXXX"

My opinion is that this person called for it and paid for it. One needs to be well aware of the do's and don'ts of online transactions

Recently my credit card was used somewhere illegally and it triggered an OTP message to me. I didn't get a call to get the OTP but i immediately reached out to the bank to report. They blocked the card and the new card reached me in two days. It is just about being vigilant and safe.
ferrarirules is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 11:42   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
IMHO UPI itself is the biggest fraud and lacuna in Indian banking system.
Most unfounded statement on UPI ever. You need to study a bit on UPI to understand the convenience and security it provides.

The only time your UPI becomes unsecured is when you lose your ATM debit card along with your phone. Anyone who knows your bank ATM debit card details can dial *99# from the associated phone SIM and setup a new UPI password. But remember, UPI txn using *99# are limited to 5k at a time and 10k per day. In my case, 5k per day is the limit. Since you would have set the passwords on other banking apps, they cannot be used except this USSD.

Success of UPI comes from the fact that it is instantaneous, no need to add as payee, can use phone number (in most cases if you have not disabled it) as payee, etc. It is simple and SIM itself is a big security device in UPI. Other payment apps will allow transfers without SIM, but not in UPI.
opendro is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 12:10   #43

I think the Fastag is a way for Government to monitor all vehicle movements. If the toll wants money they can simply issue an RFID for a car with no other detials. Like the Worli Bandra Sea Link operator is doing. Each toll operator can also install scan or touch point of sale terminals where simply by tapping an enabled credit card one can pay the toll. The entire exercise is done without taking concerns of tax payers.
Old 23rd January 2020, 15:08   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
First of all, I do not believe "Linking the Bank account to Fast Tag account for direct deduction from the bank account"

How can we give the complete control of limitless debit from our bank account to a third party?

I may be a bit more conservative here, but it is always profitable and safer to be conservative like this.
I totally agree with this viewpoint. I am also quite conservative on this front.

When ECS debit was introduced for loan repayment i was a bit apprehensive. Loan repayment to banks on ECS are active on my bank account, but no automatic bill payment, not even from credit card account.

For Fastag I would only trust debit from third party wallet like Paytm.
Old 24th January 2020, 11:28   #45
BHPian

Sad to read, people still not reading messages attentively. Every SMS, mail from banks says "we will not ask OTP"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwasvr View Post
Planning to get FASTag from ICICI as a bunch of my friends said they've not faced any hassles!
I have been using ICICI fastag since they launched and faced no issues. but, now i could not even reach their customer care as i changed my car. My account still had money which i couldn't transfer to my new fastag.

Yesterday i'm forced to close the ICICI fastag account. I am sure this is because of drastic change in the customer volume. Still unattended customer care numbers are like cheating the customer (IMHO)
trtraj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed