Team-BHP - Dad's Audi gets rear ended in Dubai
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Dad's Audi gets rear ended in Dubai (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/22080-dads-audi-gets-rear-ended-dubai.html)

Dad called up this morning from Dubai to inform that his Audi 80 got rear ended by a Camry last evening, as he was waiting to take an U-Turn, ofcourse, with his indicators indicating the same. The Camry was driven by an Arab national and conveniently uninsured. The Camry, according to my dad must have been doing speeds of upto 80-100 kmph. The cops were called in and they have asked my dad to provide them with quotations from the respective dealers for the repairs which would be charged to the Arab.

Dad was buckled up (which he always does), and as a result suffered no major injury except probably the shock and the impact of being thrown forward. I do not know any further details regarding the accident, as he wasnt very willing to mention more. The car which absorbed all the impact now has almost no rear end, and the doors at the rear refuse to open. Dad is now rendered without a vehicle, and would need to make other transport arrangements to get to work and back.

Will keep u guys updated.

Regards,
Benny.

Good to hear your Dad is ok. Too bad about the car, but then that can be fixed.

Quote:

The cops were called in and they have asked my dad to provide them with quotations from the respective dealers for the repairs which would be charged to the Arab.
aaah. When will this ever get to India. Out here we end up paying for the repairs whether it is our fault or not.

hey ben sad to hear abt the whole incident !! gud to hear that ur dad is doing fine...Any idea how much the repair is gonna cost ?

Good to hear your Dad wears the seat belt & is OK after the crash. It's quite hard to get elders to wear seat belts, my mother refuses to wear them at all most of the time *sigh*

But what is better is that the Police there & the rules are doing their job & your dad won't have to pay for the repairs. Just one thing though, the way you describe it & considering the car's age is there a chance that the car might have been totalled?

@Rtech : I dont really know if my mom also working with the medical wing of the Dubai police had anything to do with them helping out. Dad wasnt really willing to talk about it for long. :)

@jango : No idea so far regarding the repairs, but i did make it clear to my dad not to compromise on low-quality parts by any chance, to which he said such parts for the Audi (spurious) are hard to come by there.

@iraghava : Cant really say how road-worthy the car would come out, but fingers crossed. With no long term plans for my parents to stay on in Dubai, he wouldnt really think of changing it for now.

As about the seat belts part.... that was something Dad religiously inculcated in both sons. Me doing the same to get wifey into the habit.

Must complement the Audi though.. quite a safe vehicle, i should say.

Sorry to hear about the accident - Dubai is a mess these days. However its good to hear your dad is okay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 387238)
The cops were called in and they have asked my dad to provide them with quotations from the respective dealers for the repairs which would be charged to the Arab.

Very good - one of the advantages here is that you dont have to fight over who's fault it was. The cops come and make a decision and if you get the red slip its your fault and if you get the green its the other guy's fault. Then you take it to your insurers and you dont get a penalty charged if the claim was on account of a green slip.

I'm surprised they asked for a quote from the dealers - all they would do is give your Dad a green slip and the other chap has pretty much had it. The rest is taken care of by the insurance co and you dont really have to worry about it.

I doubt if the fact that your mom works for the medical wing of the police has anything to do with it. They are very impartial and I have seen an accident where a cop as a civilian (not in uniform or on duty) caused an accident and got the rap that he deserved. He was a Captain, and the police sergeant wrote out a red slip for him.

Hey Benny, sorry to hear about the accident but glad that your Dad was unhurt. These things can be very messy indeed, sounds like the car did its job well as far as protecting the occupant is concerned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 387363)
I'm surprised they asked for a quote from the dealers - all they would do is give your Dad a green slip and the other chap has pretty much had it. The rest is taken care of by the insurance co and you dont really have to worry about it.

Problem is Steeroid the other guy didn't have any insurance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iraghava (Post 387374)

Bang On..!! If the other guy had insurance, things would have worked as Steeroid mentioned. In this case, the Arab has to pay from his pocket, and so maybe the cops were acting as the mediator.

As about my mom being involved... she can speak basic Arabic, and at times u do need that in dealing with the cops there, although Hindi/Urdu/English works most of the time. Point here is, i dont exactly recall if mom reached the accident scene.

@suman : The car did its job... am happy about that. imagine.. with the speeds that moron was clocking, the momentum involved could have been really high.

The law does not require a minimum of third party insurance??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rtech (Post 387387)
The law does not require a minimum of third party insurance??

I guess we shall have to ask Steeroid about that, as he is currently located there. Staying away from the country for the last 6+ years.. i dont remember the way they have it there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iraghava (Post 387374)

Yes, but ben's dad did, and he could easily get it repaired through his Insurance Co with full replacements and no penalty or loss of no-claim bonus if he has the green slip.

I'm suspecting here that the Arab didnt want an issue or a case registered and therefore offered to pay in full. That way the police are not required to issue red or green slips and will close the case as amicably resolved.

Yes the law requires a minimum of 3rd party insurance and I'm sure the Arab's car will be impounded anyway - if it didnt have insurance it probably didnt have current registration either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 387466)
I'm suspecting here that the Arab didnt want an issue or a case registered and therefore offered to pay in full. .

The Arab probably could be a Milionier, an oil well owner probably and probably he did't want to get into the hassle of law stupid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 387466)

Yes the law requires a minimum of 3rd party insurance and I'm sure the Arab's car will be impounded anyway - if it didnt have insurance it probably didnt have current registration either.

Dad did mention something along that line too... but like i mentioned, not sure of all the details. Since he isnt very keen on discussing it, didnt really wanna probe a lot into it.

i just hope the car return back to prime state.

Its Good to hear that Ur Dad is fine.
Getting rear-ended by a car doing 80 to 100kph is horrendous.
Looks like the car has shrunk.The body shell will definitely need replacement.
Its highly probable for the chassis to get bent!