Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2007, 22:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Happened to a friend of mine too. He was in an Accent with a Marathi TV actor.Both windows were rolled down in a traffic jam, and a couple of guys casually walked over and simply snatched the phone the other guy (my friend's friend) was speaking into.
Old 8th March 2007, 23:13   #17
BHPian

well even i lost my first phone after a week i got it was in a bus when a old guys sitting next to me as i was standing kept rubbing my shoulders on my thigh i thought what this old guy i going to do but when i reached college i checked no phone.
Old 9th March 2007, 00:24   #18
BANNED

happened to me last month. in the irla lane itself. 2 people one fell on my right rear door by the time i looked to the right what happened and so did my friend her phone got nicked from the left. i rung it it rang once and then off
Old 9th March 2007, 01:25   #19
BHPian

loosing a personal item like a mobile phone can be quite irritating, when its your only means of communication.

man next time just get out of the car and catch the guy.
and thank god i have my windows and doors closed when ever i drive.
Old 9th March 2007, 08:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

There was a spin on the same MO used here.

They approach the car just as somebody unlocks his parked car and gets in to drive away. One guy would drop some 50/- currency notes a bit away from the driver's door. He'd then come up to the driver and ask him if he dropped the money. If the driver gets out to check, another guy gets in from the other side and makes off with whatever bag/mobile/purse etc the driver dropped on the passenger seat.
Old 9th March 2007, 09:32   #21
Team-BHP Support

my niece had a funny expereince but it details how bold these guys can be.

She was at a traffic light in the right rear seat (the chauffer was driving).

A man barges into through the left rear door and asks for a donation or signature or soemthing. before my niece could figure out what he wanted no the man had left and taken her mobile phone with him.

By the time she realised her phone was gone the light was green and the man was gone.

Keep your doors locked at all times. This happened in the late morning at a busy mumbai intersection (Cadbury light going south to north on Peddar Road).
Old 9th March 2007, 09:50   #22
BHPian

This happened to a friend of mine opposite chandini chowk , near red fort. In a traffic jam like conditions, a man just banged on the boot of his lancer(with his hand, later realised as no damage), and said there is a rear tyre punchure, as soon as my friend got out to see the rear left tyre as well as the damage to the car, his laptop on the rear seat of the car was nicked off!
Old 9th March 2007, 11:11   #23
Team-BHP Support

Talkin about mobile thefts, just my experience, although my car was not involved in the same. I was purchasing tickets in black from a theatre in Mehdipatnam (Hyderabad) when my phone was nicked very cooly from my jacket pocket. In seconds, i realized my phone was gone, and when i tried calling back from my friend's mobile, rang 4-5 times, and then gone forever.

When i am in my car, i always keep the windows rolled up, as well as all doors locked. Even if wifey is made to wait in the car while i am outside, i ask her to lock the car as soon as i shut the door. Better safe than sorry.
Old 9th March 2007, 11:57   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Mobile thefts has in the recent past become so common and the modus operandi used by these thieves which keeps changing is sometimes commendable, really innovative distraction techniques

When driving at a crawling stage or when stopped at a signal, i do either of the two

a) Wind up all the four windows
b) keep all my important belongings out of sight

As a matter of fact, since the time i got my new car, its becoming a habit that i take out my purse and mobile and keep it in driver side pockets before even i get inside the car.
Old 9th March 2007, 14:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
As a matter of fact, since the time i got my new car, its becoming a habit that i take out my purse and mobile and keep it in driver side pockets before even i get inside the car.
Exactly what I do too. But the trouble will occur when one is hoodwinked into getting out of the car.
Old 9th March 2007, 15:15   #26
rks
BANNED

I used to travel to Mumbai by train. I lost a mobile (fortunately, the least expensive Nokia model) in Dadar railway station while boarding Pragati Express to Pune. There was a crunch at the door while getting into the A/C chair car, and once I was in my mobile went missing from my belt-holder. I immediately called my number from another passenger's mobile, but it as already de-activated. So these crooks are experienced and know all the tricks.

Since that experience towards the end of 2005, I decided that I will not travel to Mumbai by train while carrying my mobile and laptop. I thought the car was much safer, provided it is reliable, like my Santro.

At least having your mobile snatched is not so bad as getting murdered for it. I have heard of a few cases in Bangalore and elsewhere where techies returning late night from work have been abducted and murdered. Again most of these cases have happened when the car/two-wheeler was stopped (in one case, in heavy rain when the techie stopped his two-wheeler at 10 PM in Bangalore to phone to his folks that he would be late; his body was found 8 kms away and his mobile was stolen).

So another safety tip is to never stop unnecessarily while driving late night or in desolate roads.

Last edited by rks : 9th March 2007 at 15:17.
Old 9th March 2007, 19:16   #27
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Did you guys watch the film "Traffic Signal"??
A similar case happens in it too..
Old 12th June 2007, 22:08   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
I used to travel to Mumbai by train. I lost a mobile (fortunately, the least expensive Nokia model) in Dadar railway station while boarding Pragati Express to Pune. There was a crunch at the door while getting into the A/C chair car, and once I was in my mobile went missing from my belt-holder. I immediately called my number from another passenger's mobile, but it as already de-activated. So these crooks are experienced and know all the tricks.

But when you asked to borrowed the other passenger's mobile, how did he know if you were a thief or not yourself? I guess it was lucky for you that he trusted you.
Old 13th June 2007, 00:38   #29
BHPian

OT...a very funny incident that happened to my friend n her sister. they had picked up tickets for some movie and came back later for the show. when they were entering the theater, a guy standing close to the gate asked for the tickets and they just handed it over to him thinking that he was the ticket examiner. The guy took the tix, just turned around and walked away into the maddening rush and these two were just speechless.
I guess these crooks also look for people who look like they can be easily distracted.
Old 13th June 2007, 11:05   #30
Senior - BHPian

Amazing. What an innovative way to watch a movie free...

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post
OT...a very funny incident that happened to my friend n her sister. they had picked up tickets for some movie and came back later for the show. when they were entering the theater, a guy standing close to the gate asked for the tickets and they just handed it over to him thinking that he was the ticket examiner. The guy took the tix, just turned around and walked away into the maddening rush and these two were just speechless.
I guess these crooks also look for people who look like they can be easily distracted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks