Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2012, 10:53   #61
BHPian

This thread was helpful for us to be alert on our valuables during drive in city traffic. I think no such incidents happened in Bangalore. Anyhow, we will be aware to lock doors, raise windows and make sure boot is locked at all times
Old 6th February 2012, 11:23   #62
Team-BHP Support

Re: Knock! Knock! Your Cell Phone is Gone!

I had the habit of keeping the cell phone on the passenger seat until I read/heard of such instances; thankfully I learnt the lesson the easier way.

Now, I ensure my phone/wallet is in my pocket and if I do keep a bag on the passenger seat, I have that window completely rolled up.

In either case, I don't roll down the window enough for a hand to slide in.

Some of my friends' habit worry me; they keep their phones/wallets on the dash! After getting them to wear seatbelts at all times; guess this is the next lesson.
Old 6th February 2012, 22:34   #63
BHPian

Re: Mobile theft before my eyes

My Dad's iPhone 4 just got stolen a couple of hours ago :(
He was on a traffic signal, with doors unlocks (Why on earth, I have no idea)

Tracked the guy through Find My iPhone but he gave it to someone by the time they caught him.
Now he won't talk and the phone is off again.

This was in Mumbai in Goregaon on Western Express Highway.

Shaken of sorts right now.

If there is anyone who might be able to help in anyway, please do. Please...
Old 7th February 2012, 23:32   #64
BHPian

This happened to me 2 years back at the Bisleri signal Andheri (E). My cellphone was on the dashboard of car. I was moving at a dead slow speed (2-3 kmph). A person tried crossing the road looking at the car moving. I braked hard. Someone knocked at the rear windshield, I looked back and within a split second my cellphone was gone. I didn't realize it until I reached home and found my mobile missing and it struck that I was conned at the signal itself.
Old 8th February 2012, 00:01   #65
Senior - BHPian

I generally put my mobile phone in a pouch and hang it on the AC Vent. The only problem is that i forget to remove it when i lock my car. Its a pain to remove the car-cover, unlock the car, remove the mobile and then repeat the same process to cover the car again.

I use something like this

Mobile theft before my eyes-carairconditionerholderpouchblackmobilephone_jpg.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
My Dad's iPhone 4 just got stolen a couple of hours ago :(
He was on a traffic signal, with doors unlocks (Why on earth, I have no idea)

Tracked the guy through Find My iPhone but he gave it to someone by the time they caught him.
Now he won't talk and the phone is off again.

If there is anyone who might be able to help in anyway, please do. Please...
Take this matter to the police and report the theft and get an FIR ASAP. This will save you if any anti-social activities happen with your cellphone.

If you have contacts, police would be able to extract details from whom you traced it. Try to offer some money and see if they can help you. Just tell them you had some pictures and files that you need and it would be nice to have the phone recovered.

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th February 2012 at 04:39.
Old 8th February 2012, 01:28   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Take this matter to the police and report the theft and get an FIR ASAP. This will save you if any anti-social activities happen with your cellphone.

If you have contacts, police would be able to extract details from whom you traced it. Try to offer some money and see if they can help you. Just tell them you had some pictures and files that you need and it would be nice to have the phone recovered.
FIR was filed immediately. We are still looking for someone high enough in the food chain to help us get it back.

And apparently they caught 10 people who were in the area where the phone was, yet it disappeared, and neither of them was held for too long.
I'm sure he saw them coming and ran or gave it to someone.
Old 8th February 2012, 11:00   #67
BHPian

I have heard of instances at the petrol bunks where you get diverted by multiple folks coming and talking to you and one of the picks up any valuable from inside the car behind the scenes. I usually drive alone and what I do at the petrol bunks is that I close all the windows, come out of the car, lock the car and stand next to it. Once the fillup is done, Open the door and start the engine, lock the door and roll down the window half open so that the attender can give me the receipt for the fuel.
kodivasanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 11:26   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I generally put my mobile phone in a pouch and hang it on the AC Vent. The only problem is that i forget to remove it when i lock my car. Its a pain to remove the car-cover, unlock the car, remove the mobile and then repeat the same process to cover the car again.

I use something like this

Attachment 884215
I used to use this ' magic pocket' or something and my cell phone got stolen through the passenger window when I was fighting with a pedestrian whom I had 'supposedly' bumped in Goregaon, Mumbai traffic. Later did I realise that it was just a diversion.

Its better to get the GPS, mobile holders which can be stuck on the windscreen. Mine one has a simple lock so it just cannot be picked up.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2013, 15:57   #69
Senior - BHPian

This may be interesting.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/wo...olice/1088843/

Woman beats up robber in West Delhi, hands him over to police

Presence of mind came in handy for a 32-year-old woman managing director of a project supplies company in Janakpuri, West Delhi.

Just when she was about to be robbed by members allegedly part of a gang of robbers known as the Thak Thak gang, a news report that she had read about the gang that morning came to her mind.

She caught hold of one of the accused, beat him up and dragged him to the nearby police post.

The incident was reported on Wednesday morning around 10 am.

Speaking to Newsline, Shashi Vats said she had parked her car at the district centre in Janakpuri when a well-dressed youngster approached her car, knocked on her window and asked if the money scattered on the ground was hers.

"I looked down and saw some 10 rupee notes lying next to my car. I was about to step out of the car, when a news report about a gang working on a similar modus operendi flashed in my head and I stopped," she said.

The moment she pulled back into the car, she saw another man opening the rear door of her car and lifting her bag.

"I immediately raised the alarm and tried to grab the man's hand. He was very quick. He tried to bang the door on my face. But I kicked him on his chest and he fell to the ground," she said.

"He tried to get up and run, but I tripped him with my leg. I then punched him on his face and dragged him by his collar. Meanwhile, the parking attendants there came to my help," she added.

Vats then dragged the accused to a police post nearby and handed him over to police. The accused has been identified as Deepak.

During questioning, Deepak allegedly told police that he had come to Delhi from Tamil Nadu on March 8 with a man named Jagan. Deepak, police said, was lured by Jagan into robbing people using this attention-diversion technique.

Police said the gang usually operates in parking lots.

They first scatters some 10-rupee notes around, divert the attention of unsuspecting motorists by pointing out the currency to them.

The moment the occupant of the car steps out, another gang member waiting nearby, makes off with the valuables kept in the car.

Additional Commissioner of Police, V Renganathan said, "The two parking attendants, Ranjeet Singh and Anil Kumar, who are also members of the Delhi Police 'Eyes and Ears' scheme helped the woman nab the accused. All three were suitably rewarded for showing exemplary courage in apprehending the accused. We have arrested one member of the gang. We are on the lookout for the other members."
tanwaramit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2013, 17:53   #70
Senior - BHPian

I never keep any valuables (mobile, ipad, wallet etc) in any visible place in my car. Also my car windows are always up and a/c running, mainly to preserve the interiors and combat the Mumbai weather. Also my car doors are always locked when I drive it.
I guess these simple precautions disable the most persistent thief.
Old 16th March 2013, 21:22   #71
Senior - BHPian

I tend to keep my phone in my crotch area so if any man, thief or otherwise reaches for it hes in for a sound beating and some broken fingers for sure
Old 18th March 2013, 11:56   #72
BHPian

In spite of all alerts and warnings, the youngsters more particularly girls feel it is their birthright to walk and talk on their mobile whilst in the middle of the road. What a bad idea Sirjeeeeeee. Never to walk and talk whilst crossing the roads or on the roads.
Old 18th March 2013, 17:10   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I tend to keep my phone in my crotch area so if any man, thief or otherwise reaches for it hes in for a sound beating and some broken fingers for sure
Thats a bad practice. Hope you are aware of SAR (Radiation), and these will affect the delicate areas like heart, brain,etc. (crotch being one of them)
Please use some other areas to safeguard your phones and inturn your body.(no phone is worth more than that)
Old 18th March 2013, 17:42   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I do that when I go to the GYM on my bike (My tracks have no pockets)

but in the car?? You can rather keep it in 1000 other places than the one which you prefer now. Also, isn't it embarrassing incase you get a call (co-passengers present).

BTW, I have a nice idea for some brave-hearts. Keep a demo phone with windows rolled down and on high alerts. Moment someone plays this trick, catch them and spank them right there.

Last edited by Googleman : 18th March 2013 at 17:47.
Old 18th March 2013, 22:32   #75
Senior - BHPian

Haha, my phone is on silent so I keep it there so I get alerted and also so its easy to access. If I get a call or msg I can pull to the side and answer it instead of fumbling in my pockets and with its location I wont forget it when I get out of the car

Most Viewed