Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2007, 06:58   #1
BHPian

How do your cars survive bombay rains?!!

Due to the intense rain a few weeks ago, my town in connecticut hadbeen mini flash floods and on the way to work, a family member forded about 2 1/2 feet of water accidently (It didnt look that deep. And other cars were going through it) in the 3 month old BMW 530Xi. The engine stalled out right there and refused to start. Family Member decided to use the SOS button to get some help and it turned out to be a nightmare. After 45mins of checks - the CS rep says its a natural disaster and 'GoodBye' and hangs up. At this point FM is pissed and call them back and demand a tow truck to get them to higher ground. They say that they will not provide a tow truck as it is a 'natural disaster' but if we give them credit card info they will send a truck - This ticked FM off and not because they mind paying for it but because it could have been billed at a later point (After all it is a $56K car). Anyway, paid for the tow truck and they hauled the car into the BMW Dealer's service center where the service manager says that it looks like there is water damage to 1 cylinder and the ECU that is not covered by BMW's warranty and looks like they might have to replace the engine which either we or insurance has to pay for. They refused a loaner as well. Overall the customer service was terrible. SM states the Estimated Cost is $25,000. So Insurance steps in - totals the Bimmer and pays for the car. The whole ordeal has left a very unpleasent experience with BMW NA. Probably not going to buy a BMW for a long time. In the meanwhile a 2007 E350 4 MATIC with Sport Package has been order. I will put up a review once we get the car at the end of the month.

P.S. Also the 5 Series wasnt the only car stuck in the mess - It was accompanied by a 7 series and a S class - makes me wonder how these supposedly 'indestructible' automobiles get bogged down so eaily while every Toyota and Honda zoomed right by.
Old 13th March 2007, 11:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Probably the exhaust pipe on the BMW/S-Class is lower than Honda/Toyota or the other drivers took care to ensure the exhaust doesnt go below the water line. Once water gets into the exhaust, the engine is bound to stall, no matter what car it is..
Old 13th March 2007, 12:16   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Well, a lot of Bombay cars didnt survive the July floods of a recent year. It was heart-breaking to see Merc S Classes, BMW 7 series, Lexus' and gang in a completely deplorable condition. Sorry to hear about your flood loss.

What was wrong with the BMW NA service except for them asking for a tow charge?
Old 13th March 2007, 12:21   #4
Awaiting Email Confirmation

bombay floods was a huge deal for automobiles N i'd say we barely survived them ,there were basements here with 18 feet of water drowning about 23 cars in one that I've seen personally.Let alone the number of cars stranded on the roads.
Old 13th March 2007, 18:23   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What was wrong with the BMW NA service except for them asking for a tow charge?
Honestly - GTO. It was their attitude - it was like oh, you're SOL and thats it. The BMW Assist SOS service was a disaster. Here the car is tuck in water and isntead of calling emergency services or doing something - they were like this is a natural disaster and we cannot help you. And I love how BMW kept quoting that it was a natural disaster and nothing else espescially when the County or the State has not announced warnings or called it a disaster. It was not New Orleans - it was a bad rain storm and BMW just used this fact to deny the tow truck, a loaner and then when the car was in the garage - they say we need to do a diagonostic to see how bad the damage is - its going to be about $500 to even look at your car - this on a 3 month old car that is in the Full Maintainence Plan (One of the reasons why we bought it.) I thought this was ludicrous - I expect a $39.95 diagnostic fee at Jiffy Lube on the street and not at BMW. Later BMW called up and said that they had mislabelled the word "Natural Disaster" and offered to reimburse the Tow fee and would further investigate the alleged diagnostic fee. But at this point it was too late. That is why when we were car shopping, BMW was not even a consideration though the E60 is a brilliant car. Well back to Merc for now (Even though I don't think very highly of the new E Class. But there were'nt too many options - the A6 did not appeal in look or performance / The A8 was too limo like and the S550 was too expensive / the 7 series was discounted due to BMW Service and not having AWD).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks