Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2007, 19:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hailstorms can be deadly for cars!

Guys...!!!
A couple of days back there was hailstorm here n yesterday i went to the Hyundai workshop where i saw two to three cars in Bodyshop with dents (depression) all over caused by the Hailstorm....

kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2007, 19:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

I belive they will have to replace the hood.. but am surprised at the condition of the windscreen
Old 14th March 2007, 19:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I belive they will have to replace the hood.. but am surprised at the condition of the windscreen
The hood & windshield will be replaced n everything else will be repaired
Old 14th March 2007, 19:38   #4
BANNED

Ouch!! That Santro seems like it just came to Cochin and went back. (Those who have been here will understand what I mean). Others, Come here to know.
Ok, I am speaking about mosquito bites.

Chicken pox also looks as bad. First time, seeing a car affected though.
Old 14th March 2007, 20:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

There's one santro in my office which is in even worse condition, it even has dents on A and C pillars, apart from depressions all over the roof and hood. What i am surprised about is the windscreen, ideally it shouldn't have broken.
Old 14th March 2007, 20:45   #6
BHPian

This hailstorm has done a lot of damage to crops in north india and farmers are badly affected. So all you guys be ready to take a hit n your monthly budget since prices of basic commdodities is supposed to go high in next few months.
Other kind of Damages - Glasses of Windows/doors got smashed, Expensive Paint job on houses( Apex etc) got badly hit...
Old 15th March 2007, 01:00   #7
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hailstorms are definitely one of the worst calamities to affect cars back in 1984-85 I think not sure there was a hail storm in dubai that had affected our cars here
Old 18th March 2007, 21:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

My neighbour has a factory in Bhiwadi and he was visiting in his Innova a few days back. when he returned 2 days ago I saw dents on the roof of the Innova and was very surprised and asked him as to how did that happen.

He said that he was caught in the hailstorm that recently hit many parts of North and hailstones bigger than golf ***** rained from the sky. Further he told me that he suffered a dmage of approx 5.5 lakhs as the asbestos roof of his factory got completely damaged by hailstones.
Old 19th March 2007, 18:21   #9
mfb

Yep, we experienced the same couple of weeks ago in Gurgaon. They were the size of mid to bigger size stones. For the first time in my life I experienced such big hailstorms. Saw a lot of cars with dents like the one shown in the picture and cracked windscreens.

My car escaped it as I park in a covered parking lot.

-MFB
Old 23rd May 2013, 10:19   #10
BHPian

re: Hailstorms can be deadly for cars!

Reviving an old thread.

Yesterday night I was caught in the middle of a bad hailstorm (JP Nagar area Bangalore). I was on an open road and didn’t know what to do to save my car. Searched for cover and then tried parking my car under a tree, but not much difference as the wind was heavy. Today morning I see few dents on the roof but nothing major.

I was wondering what one should do protect his car during this kind of situation. Any tips?
Old 23rd May 2013, 11:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

If caught in a surprise hailstorm and if one can't get to the safety of a covered parking there is little that can be done to protect the car... except this

But seriously if you're caught in a bad hailstorm with strong winds do not take shelter under a tree with your car, especially if its one of those large canopy flowering trees with yellow or red flowers usually found on the roadside. I don't know its english name but its called "vaka maram" in malayalam. These trees can be easily uprooted in bad weather.
Old 23rd May 2013, 15:26   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I think this thread deserves a place in a more mainstream section, like street experiences.

I was once travelling to a different city when I was caught by a strong hailstorm. It was so bad that even with wipers doing their duty at the max speed, I could not see anything...literally nothing. I have no option but to take my car slowly off the road. The place happened to be under a tree. I was very worried as a branch or worst, the tree could uproot and fall on the car which had me

Felt lucky that nothing of that sort happened but I was completely riding on luck until I moved from the place once the storm calmed.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 15:32   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
But seriously if you're caught in a bad hailstorm with strong winds do not take shelter under a tree with your car, especially if its one of those large canopy flowering trees with yellow or red flowers usually found on the roadside. I don't know its english name but its called "vaka maram" in malayalam. These trees can be easily uprooted in bad weather.
Infact i had that too in my mind. But since it was a small young tree I thought nothing of that sort will happen. Also I parked in way that I can easily take it out if there is a problem and kept the engine on.
Old 27th February 2014, 18:14   #14
BHPian

Yesterday encountered worst ever hailstorm of my life in Jaipur. Big ice-pieces started throwing directly from the sky without raining. Usually hailstorm starts with rain and usual size remains around 1 inch. Some of the pieces were even more than 4-5 inches in size. It felt like city is under attack of big stones.

Many cars in my neighborhood left with broken glasses which includes mine car also which was parked in my house parking which is half covered. Many people riding on bikes got injured and many cars were left with broken glasses. Today read the newspapers that this hailstorm turned out into a disaster and vehicles were the main victim of this hailstorm. We experience many hailstorms every year but this one was scariest one.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 27th February 2014 at 18:18.
Old 23rd May 2014, 12:33   #15
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Wednesday's rain and hailstones did leave some mark on my Fiesta too! While driving on Mysore road, it rained pretty heavily and hailstones striked dented the top part of the car. Never imagined that such a thing could happen with my car!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks