Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2020, 15:05   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: The best Twisting & Turning roads of India

I'm quite surprised no one listed the road from Bangalore to Nandi Hills down, it has continuous hairpin bends and is a hoon to drive on (as per my dad) even in the little Sparky.

The best Twisting & Turning roads of India-nandi-hills.jpg

The road from Pune to Lavasa (as mentioned by fellow BHPians) is an absolute joy to drive on. It is full of twists and turns and makes for a good challenge to drivers.

The best Twisting & Turning roads of India-lavasa.jpg

And Lastly, The Road from Chandigarh to Chail is the most challenging one out of all the three. It's full of continuous, never-ending turns and can be quite spooky too at times. A driver's dream IMO.

The best Twisting & Turning roads of India-ixccha.jpg

Stay Safe & Stay Home
Akashdeep
akash_v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 15:24   #77
Senior - BHPian

Can someone enlighten me on the current status of two delightful small ghat sections on NH6 - between Bangriposi and Bisoi, and between Keonjhar and Pal Lahara.

Used to be delightful for cars, but torture for trailer trucks. Because of this, and its importance, the road was being widened, and curves smoothed out.

Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 19:34   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Kondaveedu Fort Ghat section near Guntur. The road has almost zero traffic and is every driver's dream!
That is a beautiful meandering road and an equally good setting for car shoots as well. A monte carlo equivalent. Looks newly done and fresh.
megazoid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 16:30   #79
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Safe Riding thread

This is State Highway 2 in south Kerala - One of the best riding roads of Kerala. The road starts from Peroorkada in Trivandrum city, and goes all the way up to Thenmala in Kollam district.

clevermax is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 14:50   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
This is State Highway 2 in south Kerala - One of the best riding roads of Kerala.
Surprised to know our roads in Kerala are this good. Where I live, I cannot find any such nice asphalt roads. Especially after these rains, it's all horribly pothole-ridden that too deep like a well.
Old 15th November 2021, 15:01   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
This is State Highway 2 in south Kerala - One of the best riding roads of Kerala. The road starts from Peroorkada in Trivandrum city, and goes all the way up to Thenmala in Kollam district.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=BHOdmWzQUHQ
With the incessant rains and apocalyptic road in the southern part of the district, this feels a world apart.

And to think this is just ~20 kms away from me.

Last edited by DicKy : 15th November 2021 at 15:07.
Old 16th February 2022, 11:39   #82
BHPian

I dont have photographs to add to this, but following stretch of roads come to mind:

1) Drive from Kotagiri to Kodanadu view point
2) Ganapatipule to Are Ware beach
3) Final 6 - 8 kms stretch towards Athirapally waterfalls
4) Agumbe ghats
Old 4th April 2022, 19:50   #83
BHPian

Ukhimath -Chopta, Garhwal, Uttarakhand:

One of the most scenic and thrilling road in Garhwal Himalayas is Kund-Ukhimath-Gopeshwar road. It is a single lane road, well tarred, gains altitude from about 1400 meters at Kund to 2900 meters at Chopta and again drops to 1500 meters at Mandal and finally ends at Gopeshwar.

This road is very famous among the bird watching enthusiasts, photographers and trekkers. Duggalbitta, Baniyakund and Chopta are famous for birding. Also, Chopta is well known as one of the famous "mini-switzerland" of India. Tungnath temple trek starts from Chopta. And Deoriatal can be accessed from Sari village. One single lane branches off near Tala Village for Sari village.

The 4x4 enthusiasts undertake the snow drives during peak winter season when the road gets covered in 3-4 feets snow from Baniyakund onwards.

Also, this road/ route is famous for the Rhododendron bloom during spring season (mid-March to mid-April). The mountain slopes gets covered with bright red Rhododendron. As we gain altitude the Rhododendrons turn pink and baby pink at the highest elevation.

During this Holi long weekend (17-20th March, 2022) I went to Ukhimath in my Swift petrol car. On 18th March we visited both Sari village and Chopta. And visited Chopta again on 19th March.

I have uploaded the dashcam videos on YouTube. Providing few links here, forum members can get an idea how is the road condition. The single lane road turns almost in every 30-50 meters. Hairpin bends were few, but the scenary was breathtaking. We get the bonus of chirping birds and dense forest in some places.

A word of caution: This road is frequented by leopards and bears.

1. Rustic beauty of Ukhimath to Tala road section

2. Near Baniyakund

3. Rhododendron at Chopta

Rishikesh-Chilla Dam, Uttarakhand:

Another excellent winding road I experienced in the same trip in the return leg- from Rishikesh to Chilla dam. It was again a single lane road, excellent condition and properly banked. Really enjoyed the drive (except the initial traffic jam in Rishikesh).

Rishikesh to Chilla dam winding road:

Shoghi bypass-Shimla to Shoghi, Himachal:

Another mesmerizing winding road experience was the Shoghi bypass road from Shimla to Shoghi which I availed while returning from Fagu during Christmas holidays last year. I didn't know about this road, and it was almost empty, mostly two lane road. Except some (& not few) broken patches the road condition was good. I have a plan to go to this place and stay few days during the peak monsoon season. I am sure it would be a wonderful place amid greenery, fog and clouds.

Shimla to Shoghi- Shoghi bypass road:

[Please pardon our conversation in Bengali audible in some of the videos. I don't have editing knowledge. When I tried to remove the voice, it reduces the video resolution.]

Last edited by RijuC : 4th April 2022 at 19:55.
Old 6th April 2022, 17:18   #84
Senior - BHPian

Srisailam ghat, right from Mannanur to Srisailam ( about 78 km) is scenic, forested and twisty. The 15 km stretch on both sides of the Srisailam dam is very curvy and the drive through that section makes one thrilled.

I also love driving to Sabarimala - right from Kumiky to Pampa. I don't think one can find 100 metres of straight road in this 120 km section.

Last edited by simplyself : 6th April 2022 at 17:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks