Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Cruise Control in India is:
Useful 513 61.88%
Useless 316 38.12%
Voters: 829. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2020, 21:35   #46
BHPian

Re: Cruise Control in India - Useful or Useless?

Voted useful.
In this phase of lockdown where highways are less crowded, this feature might become more useful than ever.
Old 3rd June 2020, 23:22   #47
BHPian

Voted Useful.

I have found this useful in both car and bike.

There are many stretches in India where this is quite useful. I've particularly found it very useful in the bike more than car, where you can give your hand a rest.

During our recent trip to Gujarat & Spiti, I've encountered many long stretches where I've kept the cruise mode on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
Even in kerala I use cruise control. How?
I work at Trivandrum and my hometown is in Palakkad which is about 300 odd kilometers. My one way travel is always either in the night (after 10PM) or early morning (between 2am and 3am). During such time i can engage the cruise control without much interference from lane cutters. But once the sun comes up, it becomes impossible to engage the same.
What about your bike? You use a manual throttle lock and control gadget for the V-strom650.

Last edited by Vasuki : 3rd June 2020 at 23:31.
Old 4th June 2020, 09:24   #48
RMN
BHPian

Personally, I find them useless. I've had access to them in my family vehicle since the early 2000s while living abroad and even on those empty highways, I've barely used them. Feels weird to not have my foot on the pedal.

Same with motorcycles, since you need to have your hand on the throttle anyway, I dont see a point in cruise control.
Old 4th June 2020, 09:45   #49
BHPian

Voted Yes

I have done a few long drives from Mumbai to Jaisalmer, Coorg. Kutch & Spiti Valley. The first three drives was in my Passat and I used the Cruise Control for around 50-60% of the trip. The last trip to Spiti was in my EcoSport & I used the CC for 60 - 70% of the trip.

I also do frequent drives to Pune & use the Cc quite extensively on the Expressway.

The adaptive cruise control is much better though (had it on a rented Volvo S60 in Canada in 2018, along with lane departure warning)
Old 4th June 2020, 09:57   #50
BHPian

Definately Useful.

Infact, the adaptive CC is much more useful than just a regular CC. Going forward if manufacturers integrate Collision Warning along with Adaptve CC (Just like in most cars in the West), then the whole system becomes even more robust.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th June 2020 at 10:38. Reason: Typo. :)
Old 4th June 2020, 09:59   #51
BHPian

Voted Useless

But that's because the feeling of 'runaway' vehicle, since you cant just lift your foot of the accelerator in anticipation

I found that feeling uncomfortable the few times I used it.

That said, I feel there are roads where it can be used effectively
udainxs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 10:15   #52
BHPian

Voted Yes. When I bought my car, it was never a deal breaker for me. I just wanted an ACC and I got the cruise control bundled in the CIAZ Delta variant. I used the CC during my last trip to Mt Abu from Ahmedabad, it came out pretty handy on those lone stretches. I keep the cruise speed around 90 KMPH, so I needed to brake less often. The car returns some pretty good fuel economy figures too. So at the end of journey, I am safe, comfortable and a tad bit of nature friendly.
Old 4th June 2020, 10:19   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted "USELESS".
  1. Other than perhaps AC, I don't really like anything "automatic" in the car at all.
  2. A car maintaining speed by itself is really weird for me.
  3. In India - cruise control is even more useless than the cheap ticket holder strap on driver sun-visor. Only use of cruise control is to impress peers.
  4. Even when I was staying in the EU, I used cruise control only 2-3 times! There I found the "Speed Limit" to be really useful but not cruise control.
  5. In India - both features are useless now since the speed limit chime at 80 & 120 kmpl pretty much does the job.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 10:20   #54
BHPian

Very useful

I travel on the DND flyway, Noida expressway and usually travel a lot out on the Eastern Peripheral. Cruise control helps a lot in all these. I am a sedate driver and once i set the speed to 85, I am done.

From my personal experience, 90KMPH doesnt work. Sweat spot is between 80 & 85KMPH range.
Old 4th June 2020, 10:37   #55
BHPian

Voted Useful.

Used it extensively in US. Lived in a college town with sparse traffic and this could be used even for everyday commute.

In India, the GQ is a good place to use this feature and is helpful for mile munching. The best part is when you exit a toll booth, just press 'Resume' when you cross 30 and get back to you Music/Conversations.

I found it most useful setting it to 80-90 when traversing in area with mild traffic. This speed allows you maneuver better as compared to 100+ as well as reduces the instances where you need to use brake followed by resume. Further, mileage at this speed with cruise control lets you exceed the ARAI numbers in most cars.
Old 4th June 2020, 10:37   #56
Team-BHP Support

USEFUL, yes please!

Thanks to the mundane 100 km to-and-fro drives everyday in the 4/6-laned highways back when I was posted at Gujarat, it prompted me to install cruise control in my car and I have never looked back since! I used to set the speed to 120 km/h, then brought it down to 100 km/h when I realised there's some significant fuel savings and not so much difference in the travel time. I've stuck to 100 km/h since.

How I wish we had adaptive cruise control! The day isn't too far when it will trickle down to the smaller hatchbacks. I guess Hyundai would probably be the first to bring it to our shores, when it finally does.

Plus, one of the rare polls where the majority has opposed GTO's vote (although the numbers aren't much)!
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 10:39   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Definitely useful if we are maintaining sane speeds of 100-120 kmph. Many times, on smooth highways, i have to make a conscious effort to keep the speeds in the mentioned range. I either end up going higher or lower. I need to keep glancing at the speedo.
Old 4th June 2020, 10:46   #58
BHPian

I travel a lot at night and cruise control is very useful. The 4/6 lane highways in TN are very good and have managed to use cruise control at 100kmph even during day times. It does help your right foot a lot on very long drives.

The downside is that it makes the driver lazy and feel sleepy during late-night drives on boring straight highways
Old 4th June 2020, 10:48   #59
BHPian

Voted useful

I have cruise control in one of our cars and I use this feature only for highway drives. Its a bliss for cruising at 90-100kmph and also gives you a slightly better FE. I agree that our highway conditions do not allow a long uninterrupted stint on cruise control mode. However i have even gotten used to resuming it often (which is just pressing a button) and don't find any issues there either.

Now, my polo (2015 model) dint come with a cruise control and it was not an issue before but after driving another car using cruise control I sorely miss it when i take the polo on the highway and so I am seriously thinking of retrofitting it with the cruise control.
Old 4th June 2020, 11:14   #60
BHPian

Voted for Useful

There are a countless number of times when I wished my vehicle had cruise control. These are times when I'm sure the conditions were safe and right and if my vehicle had it, I would've engaged it. My vehicle is otherwise very comfortable to do ~700 kms / 12 hours, trip home. But the right heel gets stressed. Shoes help to some extent.

Last edited by carrerastrax : 4th June 2020 at 11:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks