Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2007, 11:23   #1
BHPian

B-TRAC 2010 - Drive to a smart Future

Was just glimsing through todays edition of economic times and I found this half pager ad by Bangalore Traffic police and their BTRAC initiatives.

Some of the features that I read were something unheard of in the Indian context. I just hope we get to see the practical implementation of it in the near future. Man if this gets implemented, it would be a pleasure driving on the roads of Bangalore

Some of the features of B-TRAC
Smart Signals
• Over 1000 modern & smart traffic signals to be installed at important locations
Smart Enforcement
• Effective, transparent and automated enforcement, computerised challans with evidence
Smart Information
• Congestion / traffic jam and time taken to travel. Information through Variable Message Signs,
FM Radio, SMS, Website and Call Centre
Smart Helpline
• 24/7 traffic helpline (call centre) to receive and address public complaints
Smart Response
• Faster response by traffic police in case of emergencies, incidents, accidents etc
Smart Public Transport
• Dedicated bus lanes and signal priority to public transport
Smart Traffic Signs / Markings
• Thousands of new traffic signs, tubular cones to be installed for better traffic management
along with 100km of world-class thermoplastic road markings
Smart Safety Plans / Campaigns
• To educate public on traffic rules and road safety
• Plans to reduce accidents and improve school area safety
Easy Auto
• Web based call centre to help you to go through auto travel without any hassle

Mods: Didnt know where to post this. Pls move it to appropriate section
Old 16th March 2007, 11:28   #2
BHPian

btw is elections are nearing?. I saw this with CM's photo. did not read though.
Old 16th March 2007, 11:48   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by askicode View Post
Smart Enforcement
That itself can solve 50-60% of the problems.

Without proper enforcement, even the new measures are worthless.
Old 16th March 2007, 12:04   #4
Team-BHP Support

I believe this shud be in the Street Experiences Section. Mods do the needful, if necessary.

My opinions on the same :

Quote:
Smart Signals
• Over 1000 modern & smart traffic signals to be installed at important locations
These would be turned off almost all the time, when it is absolutely needed, and there would be cops who think they know better.

Quote:
Smart Enforcement
• Effective, transparent and automated enforcement, computerised challans with evidence
Challans.. that would be there for sure. Transparent enforcement??!
Try explaining that to the cops when they hold you up for helping out with their family budget.

Quote:
Smart Information
• Congestion / traffic jam and time taken to travel. Information through Variable Message Signs,
FM Radio, SMS, Website and Call Centre
I believe the FM stations are already doing their part. Dofferent story that even when advised to take alternative routes, they wouldnt really be any.

Quote:
Smart Helpline
• 24/7 traffic helpline (call centre) to receive and address public complaints
Expect these to be busy, or else off the hook.

Quote:
Smart Response
• Faster response by traffic police in case of emergencies, incidents, accidents etc
Please go through the thread by wheeliej where she mentioned the time the cops took to reach her car in the case of an accident, and how wisely they responded.

Quote:
Smart Safety Plans / Campaigns
• To educate public on traffic rules and road safety
• Plans to reduce accidents and improve school area safety
This should yield results, provided they arent scrapped in due course of time, although the results will take a long time to show.

Quote:
Easy Auto
• Web based call centre to help you to go through auto travel without any hassle
Wasnt the pre-paid auto system meant to acheive something like this?
I myself remember incidents where the autowallahs demanded excess fare once they set out on the journey.

I am not a pessimist. Just that such promises are made, and they keep getting broken all the time.
Old 16th March 2007, 12:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

What we need first is SMART drivers on the road and not smart a$$es who treat the road as their ancestral property.
Old 16th March 2007, 12:42   #6
BANNED

I saw this ad as well today. Its called "Putting Bangalore Back on Track". At least they're admitting the mess and making the right noises - let's hope they can sort most, if not all, of the issues with Bangalore traffic.
Old 16th March 2007, 13:03   #7
Team-BHP Support

Welcome point here is, they have started out with alteast getting the roads in shape. The road leading from Kundanahalli to ITPL has been tarred/relaid, rather in the process of being relaid. The frustrating point here is that they resort to these at times when traffic along this route is at its peak. There was a massive jam owing to the same this morning, as i was on my way to work.
Old 16th March 2007, 14:03   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Read the same thing. Glad that Bangalore's completely digitizing. There's one line item missing from that original list: Ban autodrivers for life.
Old 16th March 2007, 14:07   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Read the same thing. Glad that Bangalore's completely digitizing. There's one line item missing from that original list: Ban autodrivers for life.
.....and lose the elections? No way.. they wud rather the common man suffer, than they lose their seats of power.
Old 16th March 2007, 14:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Some local elections are coming up.
Old 17th February 2010, 19:23   #11
BHPian

Sorry for digging up the old thread: I was in B'lore for sometime and was wondering why every traffic signal and traffic sign had the word "B-Trac" written below it. Now I understand the reason.
Old 17th February 2010, 19:35   #12
BHPian

Hmm so the ad was on Economic Times in 2007

Well its 2010, did anyone notice any changes in the traffic situation?

I didnt. Primarily due the way people drive. For example, at any signal people wanting to turn Right will also take over the left side of the road, causing delay for the vehicles that only need to go straight.

Digitizing Blr? They love to digitize everything
Old 18th February 2010, 18:35   #13
BHPian

Very true, they hyped it all up a few years ago, and things have gotten worse on some roads. They finally opened the Hosur elevated expressway. Now they want to make ORR signal free. Things are moving at snail's pace. Today in the paper, i read that they will install 'red laser camera' on the Bellary/New Airport Road to catch over speeding vehicles.
Old 18th February 2010, 19:30   #14
BHPian

mmm. I think we need the following to get things improved
1. Better training to traffic police
2. Decent salary to traffic police (so that they dont easily resort to taking bribes)
3. More authority/equipment to fine
4. Increase traffic violation penalty 10 fold and link violations to license/insurance
5. For parking violations, puncture all tyres (simple and does not cost anything). They dont need to do this regularly; once in a while (surprise checks) is enough to make people think twice before parking in no-parking areas.
Old 18th February 2010, 19:45   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
Sorry for digging up the old thread: I was in B'lore for sometime and was wondering why every traffic signal and traffic sign had the word "B-Trac" written below it. Now I understand the reason.
So, what does B-TRAC stand for?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks