Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2020, 13:56   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Advice needed: Twin-Parking System in my building?

Hi guys,

To get an additional parking spot and save my car in the annual floods (check my flooded lane pics here), I'm thinking of getting a dual parking system installed.

- Any other options or alternatives to this dual-parking system?

- Please suggest brands, best practices, tips?

- Protection during floods would be great. Plus, I'll get an additional parking spot when we have lots of media cars. Both my building driveways are currently full (just with my cars + test-drive cars).

- I own the building, so space or permissions aren't a problem.

We have an existing thread, but that's a decade old. I'm sure the scene has improved in terms of offerings, technology & brands.

Video of the kind of system I have in mind, but am open to alternative thoughts. Many thanks in advance

GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 14:17   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Advice needed: Twin-Parking System in my building?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I am not qualified enough to comment on this setup. But looking at the video and the use case you mentioned, I have few thoughts.

Will this twin parking system be installed in open (without a shed/covering)? If so then you should look into how weather-resilient this setup is, when exposed to sun and rains. I have seen such set up only in closed areas and hence, my thought.

Also since you have two cars which need protection during flooding (while the Jeep stands tall come what may ), what happens to the second car? And if protection from flooding is the main purpose, how about using high lift jacks in such situations?

Last edited by ashis89 : 11th June 2020 at 14:18.
ashis89 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 20:45   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,
Hey! We manufacture electric motors for parking systems like these. Can hook you up with a company who could help.

Last edited by Reality : 11th June 2020 at 20:47.
Reality is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 02:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

To get an additional parking spot and save my car in the annual floods (check my flooded lane pics here), I'm thinking of getting a dual parking system installed.

- Any other options or alternatives to this dual-parking system?

- Protection during floods would be great. Plus, I'll get an additional parking spot when we have lots of media cars. Both my building driveways are currently full (just with my cars + test-drive cars).

- I own the building, so space or permissions aren't a problem.

I have been using stack parking by WOHR for more than 3 years now. Easy to operate, no nonsense. Needs maintenance, like greasing and normal checks not more than twice a year, just to be safe.

While my stack parking is in a podium, WOHR has an open system as well which will suit your building space.

TIPS:
  • Keep operating the system, don't leave it in one position for long.
  • Parking is in one direction, usually drive in to the stack with nose in, rather than backing up.
  • Will need extra space for the oil reservoir and a MCB to be mounted somewhere nearby.
  • Position the oil reservoir very close to the mechanism, so less need for pipes. The pipes can get damaged if there is too much movement around / over. If possible, have the pipes covered with a small layer of cement which can be chipped off during repairs.
  • Check the capacity, these stack parkings are weight sensitive.

Last edited by parrys : 12th June 2020 at 02:21.
parrys is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 07:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
"] I'm thinking of getting a dual parking system installed.
How much does this thing cost to install and operate?

Wouldn't a manual system be better? For example, the same system but with hand/foot operated gear and lever mechanism like the rolling shutters.

It is quite possible that when it rains heavily, the power supply to the building cuts off before the floods come in. When that happens there will be no way to raise the car unless you have a power generator.
samaspire is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 08:16   #6
BHPian

While this looks like a very good solution, please do consider the following:

1. As samaspire has already stated, this system could potentially fail during floods or power outages.

2. The installation cost may be high, and it may require frequent greasing/servicing.

3. I have heard of a case Where this thing failed, and fell on a kid: https://mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com/...w/69453379.cms

Considering the above, I would recommend you to consider a 'flood guard bag', something like this:

Although I couldn't find a link to buy one in India, but you can always pick one up when you happen to travel abroad.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 08:43   #7
Team-BHP Support

There are many lift parking systems available. Spoke to a garage owner who uses a electric motor ramp at his workshop. Four key points:

1) You can't take the car down until electricity is restored. Also, in event of a component failure, the car on the upper deck may not be usable until technicians attend to the problem.

2) The base requires RCC pillars that go deep in the ground to ensure utmost rigidity and stability. Atleast for good quality ramps do ensure quality fitting. Four post ramps are better than two post ones (if available)

3) Do make sure none of the wiring bits are at ground level. Since your area is low lying and also close to the sea, the chances of damaged wiring causing failures is high. Also remember, your rat proofing will need to be redone atop the upper lift as also to protect your parking wiring. Being on the sea side you'll need copious amount of maintenance of the channels and drive systems to prevent rusting.

4) Use equipment suppliers like ATS Elgi who make automotive garage equipments for major OEM workshops. Reason: They are durable for repeated operations v/s pure parking system operators where the ramps go up and down once or twice a day. Garage equipments would be durable for multiple operations.

EDIT: On a side note, do get a lift system that can double up for car maintenance as well. Perhaps a car washer could be used by your building watchman to wash the car thereafter

Last edited by moralfibre : 12th June 2020 at 08:44.
moralfibre is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 08:58   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Also since you have two cars which need protection during flooding (while the Jeep stands tall come what may ), what happens to the second car?
Jeep has weathered all the floods in my lane . No problem at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality View Post
Can hook you up with a company who could help.
Thanks! Just so everyone else benefits, request to please share the contacts on this thread itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
I have been using stack parking by WOHR for more than 3 years now. Easy to operate, no nonsense. Needs maintenance, like greasing and normal checks not more than twice a year, just to be safe.
Thanks! Contacted & got their product PDF (attached at the end of this post).

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
How much does this thing cost to install and operate?
I'm guessing anywhere between 2 - 3 lakhs which is cheap for a parking spot in Bombay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
While this looks like a very good solution, please do consider the followingConsidering the above, I would recommend you to consider a 'flood guard bag', something like this
Thanks! Will consider. More keen on the twin-parking system as it gives me an additional spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Spoke to a garage owner who uses a electric motor ramp at his workshop.
Thanks! Very useful. Will strongly consider electric vs hydraulic due to lesser maintenance.

In case it helps anyone else, sharing details that BHPian Blackwasp got in:
Quote:
Contacted Mr. Prathamesh Doshi (+91 9594382224) of Wohr Parking solutions. They are one of the leading solution providers for parking lifts in India. In fact, their clients include BMW Infinity, Landmark Group, multiple builders and offices. Their website is https://www.wohrparking.in.

They are a German company. And they have warranty and service plans as well. Prathamesh was well versed technically and gave the following points:

1. Recommended a 2.6 Ton lift for future proofing
2. Suggested Galvanized as we are close to sea
3. Lifespan is 25-30 years if serviced on time
4. Civil work needed:
a. 1500x300 mm and 300 mm deep foundations for 4 posts
b. Access to 3 phase 16 amp or greater electrical supply
5. 1 year comprehensive warranty + service is included
6. Installation will take a maximum of 5 days. For galvanized version, production time is ~25 days
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wohr_Parklift-411_6.pdf (311.3 KB, 886 views)
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 10:59   #9
BHPian

It’s a very good idea. A friend of mine recently got two of these installed at his home. Not sure about the brand.

Can this be used like a car garage hydraulic lift to service the underbody of the car? Is the bottom completely covered or can some bits be accessed?
sharc_biker is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 11:30   #10
BHPian

This caught my eye from the PDF.
Name:  WOHR_Parklift_temp_specs.PNG
Views: 12177
Size:  30.3 KB

I'm sure Mumbai rarely sees such high temperatures, but I think the humidity is pretty high year round being a coastal city?
This is what I get from weatherspark.com

Name:  Mumbai_avg_humidity.PNG
Views: 12095
Size:  55.9 KB

Would it entail more than regular maintenance?
arijitkanrar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 12:26   #11
BHPian

Wow, this is good thread. While I don't have plans for the lift, but was always curious about the entire process. Like GTO pointed, this might be cheaper considering an extra parking space in city like Bombay.
Old 12th June 2020, 13:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting a dual parking system installed.

We have been using the WOHR park lifts for several years across our locations and have been reliable and user friendly. Does not need a lot of maintenance and the personnel are available to assist if needed.

Considering your location (proximity to sea and rodents issue) would advise additional safety measures to be taken for the wirings. Below are a few pics of Lalbagh and Turbhe workshop.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice needed: Twin-Parking System in my building?-img_20200109_093446.jpg  

Advice needed: Twin-Parking System in my building?-img_20171204_142831399.jpg  

Advice needed: Twin-Parking System in my building?-img_20180927_091549719.jpg  

Advice needed: Twin-Parking System in my building?-img_20200612_125107.jpg  

Maverick5490 is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 17:01   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Jeep has weathered all the floods in my lane . No problem at all.

Thanks! Just so everyone else benefits, request to please share the contacts on this thread itself.

Here you go, NKL Car Parking Systems LLP, Mr Shailesh 9867750018.
This is the best way to double/triple a parking space. Can be dismantled and moved to another place too.
Reality is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 18:55   #14
BHPian

I have been using WOHR parking for the past two years. It is a 2300 KG capacity system and I used to keep my Tiguan on top as it was not a daily driver. It worked well always except for one incident. When I was trying to bring down the car, only one of the side locking mechanism released and the platform started tilting towards one side (see the picture). I have stopped immediately and called WOHR service, they have reached within an hour and managed to bring down the car without further problems.

The technician explained that the lock did not release due to an error in handling the mechanism by me. While operating the system I have turned the key a couple of times very quickly (something like when you try "inching", those who have operated machines like Cranes would know) and the electro- mechanic lock did not function properly on account of this.

The system was working flawlessly except for the above incident and another minor issue of a blown fuse (which again WOHR guys attended quickly). However I stopped parking the Tiguan on top after the lock issue, and started parking the Alto on the upper deck.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice needed: Twin-Parking System in my building?-img20200612wa0021.jpg  

AjiGTI is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 20:27   #15
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 13th June 2020 at 07:40.
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks