Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2020, 15:58   #31
BHPian

Re: Have you ever been robbed / mugged on a highway?

Threads like these are great. Very informative and will caution all the members who drive regularly to different places. I had my fair share of experience which turned out to be a _______ ending. Little long post, read further please.

Me, my wife and kid (2 years) plan to drive to Ghangapur from Hyd in Dec 2019. The plan was to visit Ghangapur, have darshan spend the night there and then move to Narsobawadi (Maharashtra). We drive to Ghangapur, the drive is eventless. Had a good darshan and then I started making enquiries on how to drive to Narsobawadi. The map was a little confusing and no one gave clear directions at the hotel. Worse, many did not even hear the name. I was getting a little restless and told my wife that it would not be advisable to drive ahead as it was close to Pandarpur and the drive was not going to be easy. Instead, I recommended we visit Akkalkot the next morning and then drive back to Hyd directly. Wife agreed immediately.

We start to Akkalkot in the morning around 5 AM. Roads were not great but not bad either. Occasional stretches were bad (really bad) and then there were normal roads. We visit Akkalkot and then start to drive back. Now here is where it all began, half the road back is the same road that we drove through from Ghangapur. When we started back, one of the main roads (state roads) was sealed off with a red tape and a guy wearing a shiny jacket and helmet asked us to take a detour. Without me even asking, he mentioned that road works were being carried out and you need to take another route and then drive from below the bridge to take the road again. Little surprised, I drove into a very kacha road and Google maps drew a blank after 5 kms. I was not sure as to how a road which we drove through would suddenly be sealed for some repairs.

I have no idea now, we are right in the middle of some fields and there are crops grown to the height of a truck (this was in Dec). I can see a small culvert and a very shabby road right underneath it. My wife pointed out that this could be the road the guy was recommending. Still not aware of how things could transpire, I reverse my car and try to take the culvert but am not at all confident of taking that route as it looked very secluded and among fields. No one around, it was like you could hear your heartbeat. All of a sudden a Verna comes our route and then the driver happily takes the road under the culvert. I gain some confidence and then slowly try to drive down. The road was not in great shape with weeds all grown in between the road. I try to balance my car and drive. After a kilometer, I don't see the Verna, nor any other vehicle. I try to stay calm but I could see myself shivering as I had my wife and a young kid on board. This could be a perfect opportunity for someone to rob, steal or worse even kill.

My wife keeps assuring me that it is alright, go on. I drive slowly at around 20 kmph and then see a railway track. I could also see a passage underneath. I started breathing normally and then drove towards the passage hoping to see a village or a road after that. To my utter shock, it turned out to be a passage which could allow an auto to the max. My pulse started racing again and I was getting very restless. My wife keeps assuring me that everything will be alright. I take a left and continue on the kacha road. After a couple of kms, I see another under passage. I approach it praying real hard that it should have room for my car to pass. And voila, it did. I enter the passage which is all about 50 feet in length and when I try to exit, it had a steep drop, it looked like a plateau which had a sharp drop. I see a Toofan approaching with some people in it. I stop the guy by signaling, he stops and I see the vehicle is full of guys between the age of 25 to 35 (around 7 to 8 of them). I ask him if there is a village ahead and he says, there is no point in driving ahead, you should continue to take the kacha road for a few more kms and then you will hit the main road. I was fed up, very frustrated but had my mind working. For some reason, I did not want to look at the maps but heard my instinct. I told him that I cannot do a reverse now (there was literally little space), I will drive ahead and test my luck. This is where the guy seemed furious and started reacting as if I am not heeding his advise. I took the sharp drop (my car luckily had pretty decent gc) and ended up without scraping the underbelly.

I drive for around a kilometer and I saw the scene of some shacks and huts. I was so relieved, I thanked my Gods and drove on. I could see a small bus station and drove through and with some directions hit the state way again.

Completely unaware of what had happened, we drove on. We reach Hyd and I get back to office. Someone in the office asked me how the trip was and I replied that it was ok but had a little trouble with finding the right route in the middle and explained him the incident. He froze for a second and told me that it was a perfect plot which I had fallen into to rob people on that route. I was shocked and could not react for a while. I called my wife and told her about the conversation, she too was shocked. I was with my wife and a young kid and imagining a vehicle filled with guys who want to rob you or someone who could have stopped you and done something untoward just took my sleep away for a few days. From then on, I have promised myself that I will not drive through areas that are remote or do not have basic facilities like a fuel station, hotel or proper roads. Guys, please stay safe while driving with your family. Have at least one local number available just in case of any inconvenience. Small detours which save 5 or 10 mins could end up causing real trouble. Happy driving.
Raghu M is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 18:24   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
Mods: sorry for the off topic reply.

3. Why are you stopping at Hyderabad ? If you are starting at 5 in the morning from BLR, you can reach Nagpur or somewhere close by 8:00pm - 9:00 pm in the evening.
Appreciate your response .
Hyderabad to Nagpur is around 8-9 hours hence would not be feasile hence halting in Hyderabad.
Old 21st September 2020, 20:55   #33
BHPian

Wonderful subject!

Never been mugged, but have given mouthfuls plenty a time, exchanging glares and what nots! Maybe a little off-topic though not mugging incidents, but can surely suggest how to avoid getting into such a situation.

I believe driving on Indian highways needs a special course on cool mindedness with the ability to switch between a Hulk on demand and a smooth talking Jack Dawson! Yeah that would pretty much sum up how much an Indian traveler has to endure and absorb.

Almost 90% of my drives are 1000+ kms and non-stop, so I have traversed almost all notorious areas at weird hours.

The most important thing while traveling is your body language and confidence, crooks are very good at reading such signs and pick out the easy targets almost spot on.

I remember once getting (mis)-guided by Google Maps and getting lost in the Chambal ravines (yes you heard it right) at around 10pm in the night and reaching a village called (Tilisma (literal translation - black magic)) with wife and kids. These are moments which one will remember for life but your actions therein will define those.

While traveling through suspect or interior roads, if I have to take a break, my choice is the Police Station compound - 100% secure! Speak to them, most policemen are very helpful and will certainly not want anything to go wrong with transiting travelers.

Knowing the language helps, I speak Hindi, Marathi, English and can understand fluent Konkani, Bundeli, Bhojpuri and can make out what they are talking if in Bengali, Gujarati & Punjabi - this single handedly has helped me in numerous places - of course they can understand that you're not a localite but it creates a doubt and that's all you need most of the time.

If someone deliberately knocks you, do not stop and get into an altercation - drive away and stop at a busy junction, toll, big pump etc.

My food breaks are always at trucker dhabas, lovely food, easy on the pocket and secure - contrary to popular belief, these are actually the safest places on the highway and you will meet some of the most helpful people.

Don't be gullible - if someone advises you against going somewhere and taking an alternative route - usually along with some scary incidents or route issues, don't blindly follow those - use your own judgement and research and then act accordingly - if an area is notorious you will find some reference on the web - research your route properly before undertaking any trip.

Sometimes at toll stations, there are toll employees who ask for lifts, normally most refuse but if you do accept, always check the ID card before they enter your vehicle.

And if ever there is an incident and there is reason enough to raise your hand - go all in! Negotiation may not work as not everyone is a smooth talker, hesitation will only cause more damage.

Travel safe!

Cheers,
Trojan

Last edited by Trojan : 21st September 2020 at 21:01.
Trojan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 16:29   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
All valid points but I would disagree with you in regards to following a bus. The chances of suffering a broken suspension or even worse is more when you follow a bus/truck which has a much larger wheelbase and a rugged suspension. The bus would easily drive over massive potholes since the wheelbase width would be more than the width of the pothole itself. But your car would be caught dead in the tracks. So from that angle, following a vehicle of similar dimensions is a much safer option.

I have infact seen this even while avoiding dead animals on the road. A bus/truck may choose to pass over a carcass with no damage but your vehicle would hit it.
Absolutely. I was following a bus once, at night, in my GT TSI and we were doing a steady 70-75 I guess. The bus went over a rumble strip without slowing even a tiny bit and I had no way of avoiding it. I'd gone over it too by the time I realised. The GT stayed planted and while I was a bit shaken (pun unintended ) about going over something unexpected, the passengers were unruffled.

Also, someone mentioned in an earlier post about he being the only one in the front when driving at night. I don't think that's a wise thing to do. I was driving from Ahmedabad to Udaipur and my wife and kid were in the backseat and I was alone at the front. It was around 8pm and at the RJ border, some guys were standing on the side of the road with some bikes. One guy flashed a light at the windscreen, saw that I was alone and flung a heavy stone as I crossed the group. Very luckily, the stone missed the glass but landed on the door. VW's heavy doors to the rescue. Minor dent. Phew.
cpabhijit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 17:06   #35
BHPian

Driven extensively all across South India and North Western India ( Punjab / Himachal ). Was never mugged/robbed.
Old 26th October 2020, 12:40   #36
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Back in 2011, I was returning home from college after finishing off with the final semester of college at Manipal which meant I was on the overnight Volvo Bangalore. Was listening to music and dosed off quickly after boarding and the bus began treading along the narrow state highways.

Somewhere in between (later remember it as being Shiradi Ghaat), the rocking of the bus would pull me back into sleep and the jarring from the bad road would pull me out of it. After a while could feel the bus come to a stop, and the luggage compartment door on the side being slammed back shut, and some movement in the dark shrubs by the road. Immediately, the bus started moving again.

I would have dismissed it as an unscheduled stop (maybe for handing over a parcel to be carried by the bus driver from someone known... you know how it goes) had it not been for two ladies sitting two rows ahead panicking and asking the conductor to stop the bus. It happened almost 5-10 minutes later after getting someone to translate it in Kannada and explaining to the driver and conductor on the bus that someone had pulled out 3-4 bags from the luggage compartment while the bus had stopped briefly.

We did a 5/7-point turn on that narrow road and traced the path back to the spot where it happened. it seemed to me like the bus staff was just doing due diligence while knowing fully well that there was no point in this exercise. The luggage was checked, everyone pulled up their bags from the hold to inside the cabin. 3 passengers were left with lost baggage on a bus journey. There were two foreign students who had their Degrees and academic documents in those bags and had their flights back to their homes the next day.

It was all too fishy for me to believe as a rare occurrence.
  • Why did the bus stop?
  • Why is a KSRTC Volvo luggage compartment always unlocked?
  • Why did the driver not stop immediately?
  • Why did they not call their HQ immediately or report it to the nearest police station?
Tgo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 16:06   #37
BHPian

Just saw this video of an attempted robbery on YouTube. Don't remember if it was posted here before.

JithinR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 10:59   #38
BHPian

Hi
I have driven extensively over north India and central India. Some points which I could sum up are

1. NEVER EVER blindly trust google maps. Always ask for second opinions from truck drivers or if any of your extended family has travelled. Trust me it is very important in this age of over reliance on google.

2. Whatever happens, never stop at an isolated place. Even if it means a loo break, ideally head for a petrol bunk or a dhaba but never in isolated places whether it is day or night.

3. Never ask locals for routes. One doesn’t know their intent.

4. If it means driving over that cartoon (thief) for saving my family I would do it ( entirely my personal opinion) My family is my priority. I am not advocating to kill somebody but if it is about survival then it has to be.

5. Try avoiding late night travels to the maximum extent possible.

My two cents
Victor-whiskey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 00:04   #39
rpm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JojyKerala View Post
A close friend went missing a few years ago in rural Karnataka and there was no news about him. The Police gave up too soon...............
5. The goonda drove him to a secluded spot and burnt the car along with him inside it.

He left behind a young daughter who is in her late teens today. Many "what ifs" like it was better if he had provided the passwords. But I'm sure the goonda would have killed him either way.
This was a truly harrowing incident and gut wrenching to read, much less imagine. My heartfelt condolences to you and your friend's family. I can't even begin to imagine the agony that follows the 'what if' part. I hope his family finds the strength to overcome this tragedy, and the goon brought to justice for his atrocity.
rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 13:31   #40
BHPian

Quote:
A close friend went missing a few years ago in rural Karnataka and there was no news about him. The Police gave up too soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
This was a truly harrowing incident and gut wrenching to read, much less imagine. My heartfelt condolences to you and your friend's family. I can't even begin to imagine the agony that follows the 'what if' part. I hope his family finds the strength to overcome this tragedy, and the goon brought to justice for his atrocity.
Yes, rpm it was a very brutal blow for his family. Your message encouraged me to search for old news articles covering his murder. Here is one such article:

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/21205270.cms

Last edited by JojyKerala : 2nd January 2021 at 13:33.
JojyKerala is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 14:22   #41
rpm
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, rpm it was a very brutal blow for his family. Your message encouraged me to search for old news articles covering his murder. Here is one such article:

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/21205270.cms
As if the situation at hand wasn't bad enough, the apathy of the police and the sheer gall they had to ask for bribes from an already troubled family, truly boggles my mind and infuriates me . Not only are you inefficient at what you're supposed to do, you are asking for money from someone doing it on your behalf, after having lost one of their kith and kin?
rpm is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed