Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2020, 19:00   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: NH66 / NH17 Mumbai Goa Kanyakumari 4-lane road project updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Guess what guys, you should visit the roads around Panvel ,Mumbai connecting to this NH17 as on date, you will drop your jaws !! I will share pics tomorrow when I am done with my night shift at the hospital starting in sometime.
Thanks Vivek. Completely aware of the poor state of the road between Panvel and for most part of Raigad. To bypass this, most people endup taking the road upto Khopoli and then hop on to the Khopoli Pali road to cut across the bad patch.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 20:20   #32
Senior - BHPian

Amazing pictures! I've heard a lot about the Mumbai-Goa route and it's definetly on my bucket list.

Here in the South, we really don't have any concrete highways, it's all asphalt. Is there any differences in terms of braking distance, tyre wear and road noise when comparing concrete and asphalt roads?
Turbohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 20:52   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Is there any differences in terms of braking distance, tyre wear and road noise when comparing concrete and asphalt roads?
Noisy - Yes.
Braking distance and Grip levels - Not at par with asphalt.
Longevity of the road in such terrains - Much better than asphalted roads.

I like both type of roads but if they are concrete, the workmanship has to be impeccable that the car shouldn't feel the joints of the concrete slabs that made these roads. There are fair share of good concrete sections of National highways all across our country but discussing that would divulge the topic of this thread .

However, for the intense rains that this region witnesses every season, concrete was the way to go.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 21:03   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
the workmanship has to be impeccable that the car shouldn't feel the joints of the concrete slabs that made these roads. .
I think they make jointless these days and later cut and grout this for expansion etc. But yes, it differs from one company to the other even within the same geographical area.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 22:18   #35
BHPian

Although I for the development that is happening, one side effect I feel is the road loses character. Earlier driving through Maravante beach was just beautiful with the salt water beaches on one side and sweet water river on the other but after the four laning the river is not at all visible.
Turbo yoda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 00:06   #36
BHPian

Dude moralfibre, what a brilliant thread.

Those are some amazing pics.

Just pressing the thanks button doesn't do a thread like this justice man. Well done.

This is definitely on my bucket list now.
Balthazar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 01:37   #37
BHPian

I had no idea such an awesome highway was replacing the old Mumbai Goa highest. Thanks a lot moralfibre for the detailed update. I had used the highway back in 2012 and it was a delight to drive in the rains. Since then have been going through Kolhapur and then through Amboli ghat or Chorla ghat as per the destination in Goa. I will surely use this once the entire construction is done.
adi.mariner is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 08:05   #38
BHPian

Thanks a lot moralfibre for this!

Me and dad will definitely take this route on our next drive to Mangalore with a stop at Goa

I knew work is going on in this stretch but never thought it's close enough to completion. Even the Karwar - Mangalore stretch is 80-85% complete I guess and fun-to-drive on! But all of it is tarred roads. So I don't know how they'll fare considering the rainfall in the region.
TROOPER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 08:24   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Indeed, Parag and others. The highway is Panvel to Kanyakumari. I did include Kanyakumari to get others to start contributing info on the road development status. The potential to build the nation's economy along the west coast can only be tapped with good connectivity. I for one would be game for a nice multi-stop exploration from Panvel to Trivandrum someday.
Fantastic set of pics, many thanks for creating this thread. This highway definitely is worth driving upon once the Covid-19 situation ceases. I believe this highway was earlier called as Panvel- Edapally (ending was at the Junction where the famous Lulu mall, Kochi is present).
Mighty impressed with the way the highways have shaped up in India. A few more years and driving in India would be a treat for enthusiasts.
rakesh_r is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 11:58   #40
BHPian

Quote:

Guess what guys, you should visit the awesome roads around Panvel ,Mumbai connecting to this NH17 as on date, you will drop your jaws !! I will share pics tomorrow when I am done with my night shift at the hospital starting in sometime.
So guys, as I had said, Panvel in Mumbai is sprucing up big time, thanks to Navi Mumbai international Airport coming up nearby. The arterial roads around are all widened up to 6/8/10 lanes. Coming from NH17 Goa/Konkan side at Palaspe Phata, Panvel you have 3 major roads to connect to SPTPL, the Sion-Panvel highway. One is through Panvel city, second via JNPT road then onto Uran road, third one that connects to Mumbai--Pune expressway. All roads are multilane, the below pic is that of JNPT road which has nicely been upgraded to 12 lane road from the erstwhile 6 lane.
NH66 / NH17 Mumbai Goa Kanyakumari 4-lane road project updates-screenshot_20200701113132__01.jpg

This one below is the completed 4/6 lane NH17 stretch at Karnala bird sanctuary, just outside Mumbai.
NH66 / NH17 Mumbai Goa Kanyakumari 4-lane road project updates-img_20200620_151943__01.jpg

Both pics are from last week, few more coming up.
vivek95 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 12:08   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

This one below is the completed 4/6 lane NH17 stretch at Karnala bird sanctuary, just outside Mumbai.
Attachment 2023651

Both pics are from last week, few more coming up.
That's it, I am going to make a reverse roadtrip towards Palaspe phata and then go south towards Goa. Would be one epic road trip for sure. Hope to plot all completed section on Google maps in the same trip.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:02   #42
BHPian

I have been waiting for completion of Mumbai-Goa highway as I have heard a lot of people talk about how beautiful the drive can be and I used to google for project status every now and then. Apart from news about delays there hasnt been any meaningful news source yet. I have driven twice on that stretch when I returned to Pune from Goa via Ganpatipule & Radhanagari on two separate visits in 2018 and the condition of highway was not good.

I hope a similar thread can be started for Samruddhi Mahamarg and the new Mumbai-Delhi Highway by those who get regular updates for the same?
psbali is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 19:00   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any differences in terms of braking distance, tyre wear and road noise when comparing concrete and asphalt roads?
The road noise is pretty high (amplified few times) when compared to the asphalt based roads. Am not sure about the braking distance, but based on a discussion with one of a tyre expert the tyre wear is very high when the speeds are north of 90 kmph, since the tyre heats up pretty high in concrete roads when compared to asphalt roads.
vasanthjn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 19:06   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Amazing pictures! I've heard a lot about the Mumbai-Goa route and it's definetly on my bucket list.

Here in the South, we really don't have any concrete highways, it's all asphalt. Is there any differences in terms of braking distance, tyre wear and road noise when comparing concrete and asphalt roads?
I assume the white topped stretches in Bangalore are concrete roads, right?

From whatever I have experienced, the tyre noise reduces on those white topped roads. It is so easy to differentiate as white and black follow one after the other on many of our roads.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 19:42   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
I assume the white topped stretches in Bangalore are concrete roads, right?

From whatever I have experienced, the tyre noise reduces on those white topped roads. It is so easy to differentiate as white and black follow one after the other on many of our roads.
Honestly, I would never want to compare the "white topped" stretches to any section of National Highways, not even the roads within Mangalore that are concretized.

Bangalore roads got a taste of concrete only recently and they really have a long way to go if they want to match the concrete stretches of NHs.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed