Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will you tip Ola drivers if the service was positive?
Yes 120 53.10%
No 106 46.90%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2020, 16:58   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ola launches in-app tipping functionality

Tipping, yes. Middlemen, no. Middlemen corporates, not if I can help it!

In case of cabbies, most have their Paytm/UPI info displayed in cabs, so one doesn't even need cash these days. A little something here or there as a token of appreciation, and no need to potentially embarrass the chap by offering up cash in person.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 18:00   #32
BHPian

I always tip. Also, I prefer direct tip to the app based tip. ( Except during covid)
My experience during covid: I have had a few instances of delivery guys (amazon, big basket, reliance digital) decline the tip politely. Of course they accepted after I insisted. I really admire these guys. But I am not sure if its because they dont want to touch the cash.
Pre covid: A few cases of ula/uber drivers accepting only after I insisted. In other services ( amazon,flipkart,zomato etc), nobody refused except for one instance of flipkart delivery. He was very firm and I was unsuccessful. He just wanted a good rating.

Last edited by adithya.kp : 2nd July 2020 at 18:07.
adithya.kp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 18:14   #33
Senior - BHPian

I took a cab in May last year:

Super clean car (have look at those door panel, floor, and cloth seat cover)
Mineral water for passengers available in door storage
Face tissue paper
Service was top notch
No rash driving

Checked ODO and it was ~ 125000 km (Swift Dzire)

I had to tip that guy!
Attached Thumbnails
Ola launches in-app tipping functionality-img_20190506_155836455.jpg  

Ola launches in-app tipping functionality-img_20190506_155454695_burst000_cover_top.jpg  

Ola launches in-app tipping functionality-img_20190506_155533181.jpg  

Ola launches in-app tipping functionality-img_20190506_155620631_burst000_cover_top.jpg  

Last edited by Latheesh : 2nd July 2020 at 18:15.
Latheesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 18:37   #34
BHPian

Sooner or later this tipping culture will become a norm, like it is at the restaurants.

What do we mean by positive service here?

I call a cab, it arrives on time and take me to the destination without any accident. Is it a positive service, Yes. Do I need to tip, I guess Not.
If the driver is helping me with the luggage ( Which is rarely the case), then I will give tip for sure. But for the usual cab rides between two places in the city, I will not tip.

I wonder if now cab drivers will reserve five stars only for passengers who are giving good tips, rest gets a 4 star rating.

PS: Most of us might already be leaving the change with the driver, that usually is between Rs 1 to Rs 10. Is that a tip? I do that all the time.
INJAXN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 18:56   #35
BHPian

I have seen the 'tipping' culture rising steadily since a couple of years so much so that waiters at restaurants automatically cut their tip from the change to be returned. Still I have never shied from tipping whenever I find service to be good but systematic begging (if I may) of money as tip looks like another corporate evil feeding upon the empathy of good citizens.
Old 2nd July 2020, 20:39   #36
BHPian

Voted for no.

As it has been pointed out that tips from Swiggy/Zomato rarely makes it to the pockets of the deliverymen, it is of no use to put it in the application.

Besides, I believe that Providing a good service is the purpose of employees and they get paid accordingly.

I wouldn’t tip my Fuel filler just because he did his job.

I believe in tipping wherever necessary like when the staff takes my luggage when checking into a hotel because it’s a physical task and they aren’t exactly paid for that. I wouldn’t tip the reception staff just because they did their job.
Old 2nd July 2020, 20:44   #37
BHPian

Well, l voted YES because I do tip Ola/Uber drivers if they are polite, behaved and drive decently - without using phone etc. I try to tip tad extra if there was a traffic jam or I requested a stopover.

Rationale for this is - a small tip may be nothing for me, but could buy the driver a meal or a small stationery for his kid. You can make someone's day by a small gesture that doesn't cost you a fortune.
Old 2nd July 2020, 21:37   #38

I feel a tip is only necessary when the service is exceptional like a couple others before me have mentioned. I’ve been travelling by Ola/Uber for a very long time and have had my share of positive and negative experiences. I personally tip when a person really goes all out to help. If a person is generally pleasant and courteous I let it reflect in their rating. Niceness and mutual respect should be the norm on both sides, not an exception and in my opinion, not a reason for tipping.

However, after talking to many drivers, I do know that they are underpaid and think that companies should rethink their payment terms, but that’s another topic.
Old 2nd July 2020, 22:49   #39
BHPian

Would I tip using in-app feature? No.
But I always tip for exceptional service in cash. Even when I pay by digital wallet, I hand over the additional cash as a tip to the driver (in most cases the owner of the cab).
Also, I'd like to point out something.
These drivers, who own the cab, are more like self employed persons. They drive there own cars and for transactions and marketing purposes they use apps like Uber and OLA.

So tipping via apps , puts them at mercy of the app companies.

We need third option in this poll
"I tip in cash directly"
motionfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 01:36   #40
Senior - BHPian

Tipping is for a service, not for a product. Unfortunately, cabs/autos have been 'productized' by our governments for decades and drivers weren't really incentivized. (=grumpy drivers who grudgingly drove the car/auto.) I do tip about 15% in India- be it waiters/hotel staff or taxi drivers.

I actually don't tip Uber/Lyft in the US unless it is to/from the airport. Reason: Uber's business model.
Uber was founded on the principle that a person who has a car can earn some extra bucks to complement his income from his regular work. Unfortunately, all this has changed recent years where people have become full time uber/lyft drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
Even if it happens I will not pay any tip other than few coins that is left in form of change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Personal opinion but sorry, I find that the worst.
In the US, that is a sign that you're dissatisfied with the service. I felt the need to do it once when dining with a friend in an Indian restaurant.

Scenario: They got my coffee right only after changing the coffee twice. And I ordered regular (black) coffee with no cream and sugar.
The bill was $28.59 and I rounded it off $29. Needless to say, the manager checked in with the quality of service the next time I was there.

When the auto fare meter reads around Rs 46, I'll admit that I've given the driver Rs 50 and walked away many times. Do we have a defined etiquette in India?

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 3rd July 2020 at 01:38.
Old 3rd July 2020, 11:21   #41
BHPian

I have never quite understood this tipping culture. Are the basic service standards structured to be so poor by the service provider that they need to be incentivized to be better behaved? In any case, what is the surge pricing towards? All of these jargons are just ways to add more to the bill. I have always hated the service charge concept in restaurants. As it is our restaurants do not provide tax inclusive prices in their menu like several european countries. The service charge is further misleads us about the cost of our order. Why would they not start quoting all in prices and pass on a share to the service staff on the basis of feedback from customers?
Old 3rd July 2020, 11:53   #42
BHPian

My views on this have already been posted in an earlier thread about tipping Uber/Ola drivers:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post4589190 (Would you tip Uber / Ola / Meru drivers?)

Cheers
Old 3rd July 2020, 12:55   #43
BHPian

Tipping is certainly not Indian culture so it is a big no from my side. The drivers are already paid for the service they provide and moreover it should voluntarily not mandatory so I don't understand adding it as a feature in the app.
Old 3rd July 2020, 16:13   #44
BHPian

Yes, but not through the app. If the chap is polite, drives well, has a neat car and mannerisms, i dont mind tipping him directly. Same with Swiggy and Zomato. When you put that as an option in the app itself, it becomes a habit for the person to ask for it even though he may not deserve it. Lastly whats the guarantee the amount goes to the driver or if Ola takes a cut off it too.
Old 3rd July 2020, 18:36   #45
KGS
BHPian

I will definitely tip but never on the app.

If I feel good after a trip due to any reason like well maintained car, superb driver, entertaining or enlightening discussion, I make payment to the nearest 50. Like if fare comes Rs. 230/- , I top it up with Rs. 20/- to make it 250.

For a memorable trip long back, I gave Rs. 500 as well to the driver because he took great care of me and my family during the trip of Kerala.

But, I will not pay it through an app. It is not worth it. There is no accountability, we will never know if the money is actually going to the person intended or the app owners are making merry with it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks