Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2007, 00:22   #1
BHPian

Opel Corsa on fire

Bro had gone out for a formal dinner with his driver in his 5 and a half year old Opel Corsa Sail. 10 minutes into the dinner - he gets a call from the driver - "the car is on fire!".

When he reached the scene - the car was burning away to glory.. finally COMPLETELY gutted.. no tyres... bodywork completely melted and charred. There is nothing left of the car. Cops, fire brigade, a huge crowd to watch the show - the entire circus.

This happened just an hour back here in hyderabad. We don't know the reason for the fire yet. A police report was lodged immediatly.

The car was extremely well maintained and in good shape. It's extremely worrysome that the car seemingly spontanesouly combusted.
Old 21st March 2007, 00:51   #2
BHPian

What story did the drive had to offer? He might have been along side the vehicle I guess!!
Did the driver report any kind of leaks from the vehicle? Where was the vehicle parked before the incident?

These are some of the questions you should seek answers to from the driver to learn how the vehicle caught fire.
Old 21st March 2007, 08:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Have you done any ICE set up recently or Did you change the OE batteries of the car . If Yes , there is chance of SC. Am not an expert so its just my two cents of knowledge.
Old 21st March 2007, 08:26   #4
BHPian

any pictures of the incident ...
Old 21st March 2007, 11:11   #5
BHPian

I've seen this happen twice in bangalore - once with a Maruti 800 and another time with an ikon. It starts off with smoke from under the hood (looks like a case of overheating but much denser). Once the hapless driver parks and opens the hood there are flames and thick smoke all over the place. Scary stuff!
Old 21st March 2007, 11:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Any pics man they will help and do they police suspect arsinal???
Old 21st March 2007, 11:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Sorry about the car katalyst. But glad no one got hurt. Did you have LPG/CNG fitted? Even then, a parked car (with ignition off) shouldn't catch fire. What do the GM guys say? And the insurance people? This is really scary. I'm getting a "Cease Fire" for my car today.
Old 21st March 2007, 11:52   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
Any pics man they will help and do they police suspect arsinal???
Arsinal?? Arsenal club?
I believe what you meant here was arson.
Old 21st March 2007, 12:17   #9
BHPian

Sorry to hear about this unfortunate incident, however thank god it happened when all were away from the car and saw it all happen from a distance.
Old 21st March 2007, 12:25   #10
BHPian

The car was in motion when it caught fire - it was on the road, the driver was in the car.

No ICE setup - default OEM stuff. No LPG. Brand new tyres and 1000 bucks worth of petrol.

It DID start with smoke and flames under the hood. All this happened bang in the middle of the road - somewhere close to Karvy / Rainbow Hospital.

The cops and people tried to put the fire out - but the more water they put on the car the more it burnt...

A bizarre experience
Old 21st March 2007, 12:35   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by katalyst View Post
The car was in motion when it caught fire - it was on the road, the driver was in the car.
This happened to my wife's sail (1.6) too. Only in her case the driver stopped teh car and my wife and son took a rickshaw home and called me. I called a mechanic and he noticed that the wire from the alternator to the battery had burnt. On closer inspection we realised that the alternator winding itself had burnt and had the driver and my wife not been vigilant it could have got worse.

Needless to say we changed the wiring and alternator.
Old 21st March 2007, 14:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The cops and people tried to put the fire out - but the more water they put on the car the more it burnt...

A bizarre experience
Why would people try to putout a car fire with water?
Old 21st March 2007, 14:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:

A bizarre experience
This seems like the clear case of electric fire , but is truly unfortunate. I hope getting insurance money wont be a problem since there were a lot of onlookers and the presence of police will definitely help
Old 21st March 2007, 15:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

dats pretty weird man..where did it happened ...any pics
Old 21st March 2007, 15:16   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
dats pretty weird man..where did it happened ...any pics
When your car has a tank full of fuel and is on fire the last thing on your mind is taking a picture. All you ought to do is gt as far away from it as possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks