Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2020, 00:17   #61
BHPian

Re: Driving with the windows down is really bad for you

If it's A car (my car, friend's car, cab...doesn't matter), it always has to be windows up, AC on @ 22*.

Only exceptions,

1) when am driving round my village roads it is a tiny hamlet deep in South TN. Air pollution is unheard of. The air just smells brilliant - a combination of grass, hay, wild flowers and so much more.

2) when it is raining in Chennai (or any city) and it's after 1 AM or is early in the morning... Then it's invigorating.

3) when some passenger unfortunately has to rip one out, I would rather take my chances with the pollution than die in a gas chamber. This though is very brief. Just swap the smell of flatulence with old dino gasses, then back to rolled up windows, briefly get outside air mode on and back to recirculation.

On my 2 wheelers, all of them humble commuter rides (Activa, Wego or Apache 180 rtr) for 2 decades I have always dressed like some alien. In fact I have had friends repeatedly mock me but I don't care, the combo is,

1) a full balaclava, covering up to the nose. The head part is to trap sweat.

2) a 2.5PM mask over it.

Thanks to this combination coupled with a full face visor mask treated with rainx anti fog on the inside + hydrophobic rainx on the outside (hence mask visor can always be down) I never get tanned and my exposure to the poison air is very marginal.

A riding jacket or at least a windcheater + riding gloves means my clothes inside are clean.

Without this basic kit, I won't ride a 2 wheeler more than 4-5 kms.
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 01:18   #62

I always drive with the windows up. I think it is good for the aerodynamics of the car.
Old 14th August 2020, 22:16   #63
PGA
BHPian

I for one enjoy wind hitting my face and I like driving with arm/elbow resting on the rolled down window 'La Sashi Kapoor or Rajesh Khanna'.

I do get to do that as my commute is 80% on the highway and six months in a year, not withstanding the global warming, weather permits it.

Long time ago I remember seeing video of an experiment conducted by Jeremy Clarkson wherein he measured the top speed of the car and the fuel economy with windows rolled up and rolled down. There was hardly any difference in both the cases with a bias towards car with windows rolled down giving better performance on both the counts.
Old 14th August 2020, 22:46   #64

The only areas I keep my windows open while driving are:
  1. When I'm driving through forest area - like Bandipur - it feels so good to breathe air without putting effort in breathing for a change due to the green of the trees.
  2. In ghat sections - like Wayanad - as it's better to be in the same pressure as outside. It avoids the nausea and vomiting tendency that gets induced due to change in altitude.
In any other situation, it is always windows closed for me. No matter how many disadvantages are cited on lower acquired immunity or claustrophobia or reduced mileage or harmful gases due to heating of the interiors, I'd rather stop my vehicle for a short break to get over the situation than keep my windows open during driving.
  1. Safety - Forget windows, you cant run/stop your vehicle with even the doors unlocked in a city like Bangalore where thefts in the snail-paced traffic does not even make it to mainstream news.
  2. Pollution - I pass through Silk Board daily which was voted one of the most polluted places in Asia a couple of years ago, I dare not try my luck with outside air there.
  3. Cleanliness - It is practically impossible to keep your vehicle clean with the amount of dust and dirt that gushes in from outside. More difficult if you have beige interiors.
  4. Stability and control - The car is always going to provide better stability and control with windows closed as it does not have to fight against the influx of air, which at times get scary. Try driving through the highway with open windows, with a huge vehicle like Volvo passing at a high speed, the vehicle tends to be sucked in.
  5. Life of the fittings - With rain and dust particles - even in small amount - entering the car, the rubber beading of the window, fabric of the seat, even button controls get spoiled easily. Also, ends up attracting fungi and bacteria.
  6. Music and Air - With the windows closed, one can easily enjoy the consistency of ambient temperature and the details of music and appreciate the smallest detailing in what is taking you places daily which puts you automatically in your comfort zone
jkmmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 00:11   #65
osp

Windows up and AC in recirculation mode, always. Esp when in traffic, and more so when driving down lonely roads or after dark. Recently had a chance to travel via auto rickshaw in the centre of town while in a different city (left the car in the hotel parking to avoid parking hassles at destination) and got a good taste of emissions in the mouth for quite some time after

The only time I roll down the windows (and, I also change the AC to ventilation mode at such times) is while driving on empty rural roads during the daytime.
Old 15th August 2020, 01:21   #66
BHPian

I prefer to drive with windows rolled up since we changed our car during 2014, it made a whole lot of difference in terms of cleanliness and odor inside the cabin. As most of us expressed, I roll down windows while driving around hills, especially while descending to neutralize air pressure. This helps a bit to overcome ear blocks and of course with cool breeze on the face.

Prior to 2014, I use to roll down frequently with in city limits and turning off engine at signals to save on fuel cost, I really doubt whether it made any difference and I regret.

OH yes, I can’t forget the incident where I’m forced to roll down windows during the entire trip to Kodai and back to Bangalore. As we wish our cars to shine like a star before any long drives, I took her for a wash late in the evening and went back to pick her up around 9:00pm. Picked up and on the way to have dinner but here comes the bummer, I felt bit warm inside the cabin even with AC ON, so I asked home minister and kids how do they feel, as usual I got a reply “you are too attached to this car than us” ok very well lets go home and prepare for the trip scheduled to depart by 5am

It’s 4:30am, all of us were so excited and started loading and ready to go. As I cranked the engine my heart was jumping in joy but that lasted only for few kilometers from home. Much to my disappointment, AC was blowing only warm air and no cooling, I tried to turn OFF and ON, adjust temperature knob but in vain. Finding a service station at this time of the day is very thin, so we don’t have an option other than rolling down the window and cruise through NH44.

I stopped at a garage in Salem and discovered Aircon coil is leaking gas even after refill, so it’s not an easy fix and no spares available with them. At this juncture two options left, wait till evening and get it fixed or continue with windows rolled down. As it was a weekend trip, we couldn’t afford to waste a minute, so we preferred to choose later. OH my god, it’s no fun to drive with windows down for 1000 Km’s.
Old 15th August 2020, 08:27   #67
BHPian

I start the car with only blower running (AC mode off) and all windows down - except if it is raining - and once I turn at the first signal after leaving home, I will start the AC and roll windows up.
It is my noob belief that all foul & stagnant smells in the car would have left by now.
Also if we make short stops while out, I continue with the the windows up & AC running.
During winters, the temp setting is kept at 24/25 deg C.

While sitting in a low slung Honda City Dolphin and a BEST bus or truck is next to you in traffic, every time the driver presses the accelerator, the black exhaust will come into the car if the windows are down. This is best avoidable for the folks in the car.
Old 15th August 2020, 16:37   #68
BHPian

Always drive with windows rolled up most of the times except in hills and places where the air is much cleaner than what it is usually in most cities in India. I do also sometimes drive with windows down when it's drizzling. Even open the sunroof at times.
Old 16th August 2020, 09:35   #69
BHPian

For me, driving with the windows rolled down in the city is a big no.

I think most of the time we think about the polluted air we'll breathe in. For sure. However, if you ask my mom whether the AC is on in recirculation mode or not, she'll likely throw you a quizzical look (just updated her on this ). As fas as I am concerned, office hours in Mumbai traffic means windows rolled up.

There's another advantage we overlook: Noise. Keeping the windows rolled up reduces our exposure to the traffic noise - which you'd agree is a big deal in our urban settings. Considering that we drive at least an hour a day to get to work and back, that's a lot of exposure. Sensorineural hearing loss is just one side of the story. For me it's way more relaxing and stress-free if the noise is out.

Both air and noise pollution reduce on our highways. So early mornings and late evenings on a highway (that's not laden with trucks) = I roll down my windows. Try stopping on highways in the middle of nowhere with zero traffic (say 2pm in the afternoon). The air is fresh, visibility infinite, and the silence - deafening!

(Caveat: Before you point out, AC on in the city and windows rolled down on highways - both consume more fuel)
DrSumit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 12:46   #70
BHPian

It's out of question for me. Not whether I like driving with windows up or down, it's like a hidden safety feature in Ritz.

Try rolling down any one window of your choice and drive above 70kmph. Want more fun? Lower down the rear window.

The air flow creates a resonating sound which is very difficult to bear. It can get really disturbing if someone tries to open window while the car is being driven at 100kmph.

I think it's a design flaw but in the last 10 years with Ritz, I have not opened the windows while driving even 10 times.

Last edited by headbanger : 17th August 2020 at 12:49.
Old 17th August 2020, 14:47   #71
BHPian

I am wondering what does it translate to during Pandemic times? Are open windows better in this context?
Old 18th August 2020, 16:44   #72
Senior - BHPian

Till 4-5 years back, I used to drive with my windows rolled down occasionally when the weather was a little cooler.
But then I also used to have cough, cold, itchy throat and running nose almost throughout the year. And the car headliner was dirty.
Once I went for my annual medical checkup, and after looking at my blood test reports, the doctor advised me to drive with my windows rolled up all the time.
It was a very small piece of advice - but had a big impact. I realized that all of my issues were due to pollution ingested via keeping the windows open. Few weeks after I started driving 100% of time with my windows rolled up & the AC in recirculate mode, my chronic cough, cold, itchy throat and running nose were gone.
The regime I follow now is as below:

1. start car, start blower (no AC) in fresh air mode, windows rolled down - continue till 1-2 mins till I reach the end of my lane.

2. roll up windows, blower mode changed to recirculate, AC on - rest of the trip

3. before I reach my destination, I switch off the AC maybe 30 seconds beforehand, so that I do not shut down the car with the AC still running - it's more of a habit, do not know if there's any good side to it. Someone perhaps said to me long time back that one should not start or shut down the car with AC running.

4. AC temperature always stays at 26 - that's my comfort level.

Last edited by blackasta : 18th August 2020 at 16:45.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 19:56   #73

All my Highway Drives (predominantly Chennai to BLR) have been done with windows rolled up till 90%.

Till I cross the city limits and the initial couple of exit tolls, I roll up completely with AC in recirculation on.

Once I hit the highway the AC is always Off for one major reason. My alto 800 feels more lively and peppy between 80-90kmph in highway when the AC is switched off

Also tend to get 20-21+ FE when AC is not used against 17-18 when AC is used (obviously the joy in driving is not there when AC is switched on)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks