Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2007, 21:10   #1
BHPian

Watched someone trying to steal a Ford IKON

Yesterday while I was walking down the street I saw 2 people planning to get into the Ford Ikon. There was one young guy who was trying to put the key with his back facing the door.... I clearly saw that...another old guy was giving him instructions from the opposite side. There were lot of cars parked....with dark tints...so I was hesitant to create a scene....I got onto my car parked about 100 yards away...and then these two people were still there...they saw me and started looking very suspicious since they had seen me earlier....

I had seen a traffic police inspector on his rounds just two streets away, I complained to him and he said he will go immediately and check it out...infact one guy (not a cop!!...was standing next to him...he said he will check out...I think its because they wanted to confirm first...and this guy was not in uniform...).. went there immediately... Well, thats the max I could do!! I cant force the cops to catch someone!!.....so headed back home...

The fact that such an act is being attempted in a very active place (Jayanagar 4th Block Bangalore)...under broad daylight....is very alarming...
Old 26th March 2007, 21:44   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Dude - my fone got pinched while I was talking - and I live in Jayanagar 8th block - a calm residential layout. Btw - the guy next to the cop would have been his colleague off-duty or in plainclothes. Chances are he would have done his job.
And this is also the reason why I avoid open car parking like the rabies-I look for a mall basement parking wherever possible
Old 26th March 2007, 22:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

i doubt they could have stolen it..well i jus hope not...it gives us ikon'ers the hiibee gibees!!!
Old 26th March 2007, 22:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Putting keys in the car while facing the opposite side as if casually leaning on it seems to be a common tactic. Even I had observed a similar thing when I was in 12th. Only in this case it was an old gen (import) Corolla.
Old 27th March 2007, 02:21   #5
elf
BANNED

Ideally, you should have quickly started your car, gunned your engine & run the guy over. After which you should've reversed, then shot him in the head with a twelve bore.

Unfortunately, we live in the real world.

Hence, you should've just shot him in the head with a twelve bore.
Old 27th March 2007, 03:37   #6
BHPian

Isnt gear lock a safe option. Why dont people install it??
Old 27th March 2007, 10:55   #7
Team-BHP Support

A fellow colleague of mine who has an Ikon 1.6 (2002 model, i guess) had his wheel along with the alloy stolen in Jayanagar. Since he had only 4 alloys, he now runs his car with just 3 alloys, and one black wheel ... yes, the spare. Tried quite a bit to get hold of the original Ford alloys , even posting on the Orkut Ikon community, and so on... but to no avail. Who would sell him a single alloy??!

Now, as the guy is on leave, he has parked his car in the office covered parking lot, which is anyday safer. Sad, but thats how Bangalore has become.
Old 27th March 2007, 11:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Jaya nagar seems to be notorious. Bangalore has always had this problems with people stealing everything on sight. My brother's KB100 battery or the Mirrors used to be stolen every week. I guess it is best to ensure that we have all the security features installed in the car to prevent such things. If that guy managed to unlock the car with his keys & open the door, wouldn't it have created a scene by the siren wailing ?
Old 27th March 2007, 11:24   #9
Team-BHP Support

My brother's Pulsar had its twin horns stolen in Bangalore.
There doesnt really seem to be much one can do in such circumstances.

@E_L : Most people nowadays dont really seem to bother when they hear a siren from the Autocop wailing, as they keep hearing false alarms now n then.
Old 27th March 2007, 12:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

A gear lock is a must these days for all cars. Thankfully its not as easy to steal ikons because of the strange shape of the key but then it always pays to be careful
Old 27th March 2007, 13:27   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Dude - my fone got pinched while I was
now that IS sad! how did you get a phone picnhed while using it?
Old 27th March 2007, 13:36   #12
Team-BHP Support

If i remember his post sometime back, he was speaking on it, when 2 guys on a bike snatched it from his hands.... and sped away.
Old 27th March 2007, 14:46   #13
BHPian

Well this is how I guess I would have tried attracting attention of the public to the attempt of stealing a car (scaring the burglars away). Would have got my car's burglar alarm working by opening it with the key and and locking it immediately (not operating through remote) while moving away to a populated area so that the burglars run away on hearing the noise. This could help in most scenarios to drive thieves away.
Old 27th March 2007, 15:02   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
now that IS sad! how did you get a phone picnhed while using it?
Yup. I considered it to be one of the foremost invasion of privacy. Happened a few months ago. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/331115-post38.html
Old 27th March 2007, 15:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Well this is how I guess I would have tried attracting attention of the public to the attempt of stealing a car (scaring the burglars away). Would have got my car's burglar alarm working by opening it with the key and and locking it immediately (not operating through remote) while moving away to a populated area so that the burglars run away on hearing the noise. This could help in most scenarios to drive thieves away.
Thats a very good idea.

Orelse, just keep the handset in your ear, keep speaking yourself walking across like " Yeah the place is 'jaya nagar 4th block'. keep mum for few seconds & again say ' ok sir, I dont have any issue coming there to pick u up. I will be there within a minute' Stare at those guys & rush ur car.

Make sure that those guys overhear your conversation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks