Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2020, 18:26   #16
BHPian

Re: My experience: Travelling 1000 km with a cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_real_slager View Post
Your cat is a beauty. May i ask what her name is?

Our cat, mia hates even short car trips to the vet. She just gets really agitated and wails in a very sad voice that it breaks my heart. In that light, what you pulled off is amazing for me.

Cheers.
Her name is Poko. And yes, I know what you're saying. My cat also does the same for trips to the vet. So I'm amazed myself as well that this went as well as it did. (She did make those sad, heartbreaking meows but maybe twice or thrice total)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Perfect timing as just last week, I drove from Pune - Bangalore with our 3 month old Kitten. We were prepared for the worst but it went off surprisingly smooth as he slept for most of the journey.

At every break we took, he was too scared to step out of the car with the noise of vehicles passing by scaring him, so we put the litter box on the back seat and he did his job.

He initially slept on my wife's lap as he was quite stressed with the new experience but later on moved to the back seat to properly stretch out and also play with his toys.

It was a 14 hour journey and he took it very well *touchwood*. Hope the return journey is as smooth !
That's great! I'd be too scared to even take her out of her carrier, let alone out of the car. As I said, comfort of pet and owner both is really important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
… freestyle feels kind of not so airy with black interiors. Did you use any nail caps for the journey?
yeah the rear seat is really a negative of this car but I don't use it at all so it doesn't bother me.
And no, no nail caps but I had gotten her nails trimmed at the vet 2 days before the journey when I went to get the medical certificate.
batladanny is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 19:38   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaced Out View Post

I thought animals were not allowed on the train, even 1AC. I am surprised to hear this. How have you managed this in the past? This will be really helpful.
There is a provision for a dog ticket. My father and grandfather are the ones who have dealt with this so I personally don't have hands on experience here, but I think you're supposed to go to the fellow who allocates the seats before the seats are allotted, and request that all four of your tickets are in one compartment (or both your tickets in the last compartment with two berths, but that is highly unlikely to succeed). If this is successful, you may take your dog. If it is not, then your dog ticket is cancelled. So far it has thankfully been successful for us.

Of course, this is in reference to Rajdhanis. I don't know about the other trains.
chieftain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 19:44   #18
BHPian

Interesting! Happy to read about Poko and you. It sure was a memorable journey.

I usually do a 5 hour trip with my 4 cats to my farm from Mumbai. Did it last week too. They are quite okay in their baskets. 2 of them are also okay to come out for sometime and sit in my son's lap.

A word of caution based on my experience with travelling with animals. You mentioned travelling without the AC was recommended by the vet - this is very dangerous. Cats do not enjoy the breeze hitting them hard and they get scared when they see the high speed movement of trees etc. Cats will try to escape at any given opportunity from a moving car if a window is open. Be very very careful even while paying for toll. Even a small gap is enough for a scared cat to make an attempt at what it thinks is a safer place ( outside).
The other problem with some cats is - when scared due to the car movement they try to get under the front seat - might get between your legs and the brake / clutch etc so you gotta be careful about this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chieftain View Post
There is a provision for a dog ticket. My father and grandfather are the ones who have dealt with this so I personally don't have hands on experience here, but I think you're supposed to go to the fellow who allocates the seats before the seats are allotted, and request that all four of your tickets are in one compartment (or both your tickets in the last compartment with two berths, but that is highly unlikely to succeed). If this is successful, you may take your dog. If it is not, then your dog ticket is cancelled. So far it has thankfully been successful for us.

Of course, this is in reference to Rajdhanis. I don't know about the other trains.
I have travelled with 2 dogs by train - the process is as you describe it except that a coupe cabin has to be allocated and it has 2 seats in the cabin only so you can travel with your dog quite comfortably. It used to be available in some trains earlier ( coupe cabin) I'm not sure if it's available now in the new bogies we have these days.

Though car drives with dogs has always been quite enjoyable for the dogs too. Their reaction to travel has always been very different from cats.

Last edited by theqca : 10th September 2020 at 19:52. Reason: Added the bit about the dog
theqca is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 01:06   #19
BHPian

Quote:
I thought animals were not allowed on the train, even 1AC. I am surprised to hear this. How have you managed this in the past? This will be really helpful.
You can travel with dogs in AC 1st class. The process is, once you get a confirmed ticket, go before the chart is prepared to the parcel office. Show your booked ticket, and tell to allocate a coupe if available. (2 berth) and you have two tickets under same PNR. This step is not required if you have four tickets under same PNR as they will allocate you a cabin then (4 berth).Then you weigh your dog, its cheap, I recall around 7 per kg and they have a flat minimum rate. Carry a fit to travel letter from vet, original and copy, your ID original and copy, vaccination card updated original and copy. You will be issued a separate ticket for your pet. And off you go. Here's us travelling with our dog.
Attached Thumbnails
My experience: Travelling 1000 km with a cat-fb_img_1599766460579.jpg  

Last edited by Eddy : 11th September 2020 at 01:19. Reason: Fixed quotes
sbanerjee is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 14:16   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanerjee View Post
You can travel with dogs in AC 1st class. The process is, once you get a confirmed ticket, go before the chart is prepared to the parcel office. Show your booked ticket, and tell to allocate a coupe if available. (2 berth) and you have two tickets under same PNR. This step is not required if you have four tickets under same PNR as they will allocate you a cabin then (4 berth).Then you weigh your dog, its cheap, I recall around 7 per kg and they have a flat minimum rate. Carry a fit to travel letter from vet, original and copy, your ID original and copy, vaccination card updated original and copy. You will be issued a separate ticket for your pet. And off you go. Here's us travelling with our dog.
This is so awesome! Thanks for the idea. This is very practical on how I can take Nemo on the train next time and the picture helps.
DogNDamsel12 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks