Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2020, 18:03   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: No Need to Carry License, RC, Insurance from Oct 1 as Per New MV Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityak7 View Post
I am unable to find my driving license on mParivahan or Digilocker. My license is of 19 characters length and mparivahan app only accepts 18 characters.
How old is your license? You have to go to the RTO and get new number issued. I had to do that last year while renewing my DL. Then everything falls in line. I have both my DL and RC in Digilocker as well as mParivahan.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 18:06   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Generally it is 15 character long and in some cases it will be 16 character one.
The format will be

XXYY2007zzzzzzz or XX-YY2007zzzzzzz.

Here XX - State code (like KL / KA / AP / TN etc)
YY - (2 digits) RTO code (Ex. KR PURAM in Karnataka 53)
2007 - Year of Licence issue
zzzzzzz - 7 digit licence number. (If it's a 4 digit number, preceding 3 zeros will be added to make it 7 digit).
Tried this approach, didn't work. For now, traveling with a duplicate license in the wallet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
How old is your license? You have to go to the RTO and get new number issued. I had to do that last year while renewing my DL. Then everything falls in line. I have both my DL and RC in Digilocker as well as mParivahan.
11 years old, I guess the naming conventions have changed since. Another 9 years to go for renewal. Seems to be struck with this issue for another decade then
Old 29th September 2020, 18:21   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Tried this approach, didn't work. For now, traveling with a duplicate license in the wallet.

11 years old, I guess the naming conventions have changed since.
My Licence is 23 years old. The old number was KL-E-YEAR-zzzz
The third character E was for Ernakulam. In the later pattern E was replaced by 07

Also, the Last 4 digit Licence number was changed as 000zzzz.

So, it became KL07YEAR000zzzz
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 18:25   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
11 years old, I guess the naming conventions have changed since. Another 9 years to go for renewal. Seems to be struck with this issue for another decade then
You don't have to wait until renewal. Just go to the RTO and tell them you need your DL in database. They will issue you a new number and new DL. I too waited until my renewal thinking they won't do it otherwise. Turns out I could have it done it long ago.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 18:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider View Post
Good initiative, will prevent harassment from cops stopping to check
documents .
This is old news. The decision was already taken in December 2018.
The Motor Vehicles Act and IT Act were ammended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Sorry but what's new about it? This is very old news - IIRC this decision was already taken last year. I think this is just clickbait news you have shared unless there's something additional
+1.
Attached is the 2018 and 2019 circulars.
I am using DigiLocker and mParivahaan since last year. However I still carry zerox copies of all papers.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Advisory5-17-12-18.pdf (2.60 MB, 267 views)
File Type: pdf Advisory1-23-09-19.pdf (662.8 KB, 343 views)

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 29th September 2020 at 18:31.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 20:00   #21
BHPian

re: Which documents to keep in my car? Original / Photocopy / Digital

I think keeping a digital copy on your phone should work fine. But it is always safer to have photocopies on person. I don't keep any document on my person except the DL and I have never had any issues in the city, highways or even state borders.

Another thing to keep note of is that MorTH has issued a statement saying(in essence) that expired DLs will be valid until the COVID situation gets better. So next time a cop stops you and your documents are expired, you can cite this.
Old 29th September 2020, 21:09   #22
Senior - BHPian

All my docs are in DigiLocker & mParivahan. But still carries color printouts as a backup.

Cheers!
Old 30th September 2020, 07:06   #23
BHPian

DL: *Original* on your person (eg in wallet/purse)

Auto insurance: Copy/printout in your car's glovebox (since it pertains to the vehicle in India, not to you (unlike the US where it can cover any car you drive))

Regn: Copy/printout in your car's glovebox.

Health insurance card: Copy/printout on your person (eg in wallet/purse).
Old 30th September 2020, 08:03   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am unable to find my driving license on mParivahan or Digilocker. My license is of 19 characters length and mparivahan app only accepts 18 characters. Did anyone else face this issue whereas Digilocker says that its unable to retrieve any details corresponding to my license number.

Not sure if it has any impact, but my license was issued in Andhra Pradesh state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Generally it is 15 character long and in some cases it will be 16 character one.
The format will be

XXYY2007zzzzzzz or XX-YY2007zzzzzzz.

Here XX - State code (like KL / KA / AP / TN etc)
YY - (2 digits) RTO code (Ex. KR PURAM in Karnataka 53)
2007 - Year of Licence issue
zzzzzzz - 7 digit licence number. (If it's a 4 digit number, preceding 3 zeros will be added to make it 7 digit).

This was the earlier approach. I'm not sure if any change is made to this now a days.

You can try to make your number into this format and a search. Good luck
This thread has detailed experience by Laluks, especially on how to deal with old numbering system with KA RTOs and what needs to be done to make it compatible to download from mParivahan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
All is well. The backlog entry is approved in the system, and I am able to now apply for DL services. That's about 5 working days since application.
Now I am not sure should I visit them as the officer asked. I will anyways do that as a courtesy to thank the fast service

Last edited by paragsachania : 30th September 2020 at 08:04.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 09:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

How to keep your car's documents in the DigiLocker

DigiLocker is an initiative under the Digital India scheme to offer an online service for digitization of documents. The documents issued in DigiLocker are considered at par with physical originals under Rule 9A of the Information Technology Rules, 2016.

Some of the benefits include:
  • Access documents anytime, anywhere!
  • Authentic documents, legally at par with originals.
  • Digital document exchange with the consent of the citizen.
  • Faster delivery for services like government benefits, employment, financial inclusion, education, health, etc.

How to sign up for DigiLocker:
  • Visit https://digilocker.gov.in or download the app on your mobile phone.
  • Your Aadhaar number will be authenticated by sending an OTP, and setting up of a security pin for 2-factor authentication.
  • Go to homepage and navigate to the issuing authority.
  • Click on the required documents (Driving Licence / RC book) and enter the license / registration number to fetch the document.
  • Issued documents will be available on the app for later use.

Which documents to keep in my car? Original / Photocopy / Digital-whatsapp-image-20201001-9.08.50-am.jpeg

Which documents to keep in my car? Original / Photocopy / Digital-whatsapp-image-20201001-9.08.50-am1.jpeg

Which documents to keep in my car? Original / Photocopy / Digital-whatsapp-image-20201001-9.08.50-am2.jpeg

Which documents to keep in my car? Original / Photocopy / Digital-whatsapp-image-20201001-9.08.50-am4.jpeg

Which documents to keep in my car? Original / Photocopy / Digital-whatsapp-image-20201001-9.08.50-am3.jpeg

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 1st October 2020 at 09:18.
blackwasp is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 10:05   #26
BHPian

Re: How to keep your car's documents in the DigiLocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
DigiLocker is an initiative under the Digital India scheme to offer an online service for digitization of documents. The documents issued in DigiLocker are considered at par with physical originals under Rule 9A of the Information Technology Rules, 2016.

Some of the benefits include:
  • Access documents anytime, anywhere!
  • Authentic documents, legally at par with originals.
  • Digital document exchange with the consent of the citizen.
  • Faster delivery for services like government benefits, employment, financial inclusion, education, health, etc.
Seems like they pivot it on Aadhar card details to get other documents. I am not able to retrieve the documents for my car, because the car is registered in my company name. When I try to retrieve, it says that name of the woner doesn't match ..
anumod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 10:27   #27
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
Seems like they pivot it on Aadhar card details to get other documents. I am not able to retrieve the documents for my car, because the car is registered in my company name. When I try to retrieve, it says that name of the woner doesn't match ..
I don't think RC/DL is linked to Aadhar, unless they are issues in the last few years. Aadhar and mobile numbers are used to link your Digilocker account. I have been using Digilocker for more than 2 years. I was able to fetch RC, DL etc without any trouble. I had some trouble with fetching the details for my 2001 model 2-wheeler as there was some spelling issues. I looked at the details given in Vahan site and entered the same and I was able to retrieve the same in Digilocker also.
sgm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 10:46   #28
BHPian

While I am not discouraging the use of Digi locker service, a cautionary word from my experience.

I had downloaded my LPG subscription document into locker but when I needed it most, it did not let me view or download. Such hiccups were noticed for vehicle related documents too. Ensure you have plan B and not solely rely on this.
Thilak29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 11:11   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgm View Post
I don't think RC/DL is linked to Aadhar, unless they are issues in the last few years. Aadhar and mobile numbers are used to link your Digilocker account. I have been using Digilocker for more than 2 years. I was able to fetch RC, DL etc without any trouble. I had some trouble with fetching the details for my 2001 model 2-wheeler as there was some spelling issues. I looked at the details given in Vahan site and entered the same and I was able to retrieve the same in Digilocker also.
Yesterday I tried and it failed. By default it is taking my name from Aadhar and doing a match ..
anumod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 12:15   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Sorry but what's new about it? This is very old news - IIRC this decision was already taken last year. I think this is just clickbait news you have shared unless there's something additional that was amended recently.
Quoting myself to answer a question I had raised -

So last year the government had issued advisory (refer to @ruzbehxyz's post for the advisories) to all state transport and police departments to recognise such validated digital documents from Digilocker and mParivahan.

But now this has been made part of the rule as it has now got legal backing, across the country. According to the rule, if the details provided by the driver or vehicle owner are found validated through the electronic means by the police and transport department officials, no physical document would be demanded for inspection even in cases of offence which necessitates seizure of any document.

The above rules are now applicable from today (Oct 1st).

However what remains is the last mile problem - who will ensure the constable on the road will follow this?

Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Attached is the 2018 and 2019 circulars.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks