Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2020, 02:06   #16

Re: Driving for the first time : A newbie's take on Indian roads

I learnt proper driving in my cousin's GT TSI (I think I got spoilt driving a GT TSI as my first car :P). I used to drive in 20-30 inside his community with empty wide roads. One day after a month or so we took it outside the community to run some errands, he stays near a highway so the roads were quite empty on a weekday afternoon. While returning home, he asked me to rev it a little since it was a straight empty road.
Oh man! When the turbo kicked in, I was taken aback, literally. I had goosebumps, though it was only for a short moment. My heart was pumping just like the TSI ahead of me. The speedometer went to 80/90 and I left the accelerator.
Never did it again, but would like to be more comfortable with the car and learn more.
Currently learning manual on a 1st gen diesel Swift, and gotta say, using the clutch and gears is a challenge but a welcome one! Once I got a hold of it, the jerks and unnecessary revs decreased and now I look forward to the drive everyday
cake is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 13:42   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cake View Post
... My heart was pumping just like the TSI ahead of me. The speedometer went to 80/90 and I left the accelerator.
Never did it again, but would like to be more comfortable with the car and learn more...
I know exactly how that kick-in feels and could definitely feel myself being pushed back as I read this. It might not be a lot for other much more experienced members of this forum but for a noob like me or you it's a savage experience. The rush of adrenaline making my kidneys go WHooooooO and that smile on my face is something very few things can ever give me. Get your license first, you'll have loads more fun when you know you're not gonna be in trouble in case you're stopped by someone or end up in a not-so-desirable situation, no matter whose fault.

Learn well and have fun, man. Responsibly though

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th October 2020 at 13:40. Reason: Fixed quote
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 15:30   #18
BHPian

Nice and honest thread and anyone can relate to their initial learning days. The way I see it, I think you're going to be a safe sensible and responsible driver, something which our country lacks terribly. Just make sure to not try engine braking where you don't have to. Wrong application can put unnecessary strain on your engine and transmission making the whole point useless. Wish you many happy miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ18 View Post

The Innova was a very friendly car to start driving with since it has long clutch travel and a relatively light steering wheel. What also helped was the view of the road, an MPV provides.
Any diesel can feel easy to learners and newbies since they have ample torque at low end making it less prone to stall. But from my experience Innova doesn't have light steering in comparison to other power steering cars. Infact Innovas's hydraulic unit is on the heavier side. IMO Hyundai makes the lightest steering though they feel absolutely lifeless and lacks any feel. From my experience Ford and VW/Skoda have best steering in mass market cars.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 16:35   #19

ikr? It was quite an experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Get your license first, you'll have loads more fun when you know you're not gonna be in trouble in case you're stopped by someone or end up in a not-so-desirable situation, no matter whose fault.

Learn well and have fun, man. Responsibly though
Thanks for the heads up, that's good advice. I've got my license though, cleared the test in an automatic
Old 17th October 2020, 20:33   #20
BHPian

My first car was pre-owned. I didn't know how to the drive the car so I requested car owner to drive it to my society.

After few days, my friend took pity on me and brought an experienced driver. We all went to secluded area in my car and my driving lessons started.

My first lesson was to release clutch and gradually increase accelerator, in first gear, without stalling engine. It was difficult initially but I learned that quickly.

Next lesson was difficult. He parked the car on the incline and asked me to take pickup, without stalling engine. This was difficult because when you lift foot from brake to press accelerator, car rolls back. He showed me the heel-toe trick i.e. place your right foot slightly cross on the brake so that using heel, press the accelerator while you release the brake. After some practice I mastered that also. Within three days I started driving car fluently. I, then applied for the driving licence and got it easily.
Old 18th October 2020, 09:12   #21
BHPian

Glad to see fellow beginners on here! Here's my nerve-wracking experience of being behind the wheel : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post4907738 (Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em)
Old 18th October 2020, 12:25   #22
BHPian

Great to see a candid and interesting thread, vixit!

To be honest, years of playing open-world video games like Grand Theft Auto (GTA) San Andreas, GTA V and racing games like Need For Speed (NFS) Most Wanted, etc. helped me to learn driving quickly, despite playing them on a PC with keyboard & mouse. Still, my path to learning to drive a car wasn't without obstacles, especially psychological ones. Apologies for the incoming long story of "How I learnt to drive".

Dad never allowed me to drive a car alone without having a licence, which stopped me from driving cars earlier. Anyways, I started learning to start and move a car front and in reverse, and made a circle in front of grandpa's house in his then Maruti 800, when I was 17.

Moving forward, dad gave me some driving lessons in his Ford Fiesta 1.6 (petrol) in empty neighborhood streets. Initially, I struggled with the clutch-throttle coordination and it made me nervous many times, since I was afraid that I would launch the car too quickly and crash.

One day, dad pulled over on a highway and asked me to drive. Surprised, I took the baby steps by driving at 60-70 kph. In no time I got the hang of driving on highways and found myself doing 90 kph. Next time, I did 90-100 kph comfortably on the same highway.

Due to lack of practice and my fear of launching the car too quickly, I still struggled with the clutch while starting the car from rest, and stalled it a lot. Dad once scolded me after he got disappointed with me stalling the car a lot while parking inside apartments.

Anyways, my journey of learning to drive wasn't complete without shenanigans. I scratched and dented both of Fiesta's rear fenders a lot while I was taking my parking lessons alone and managed to bend RH ORVM in opposite direction with the help of pillar! dad!

Thanks to my laziness and lack of confidence, I never went beyond aforementioned scenario, and didn't drive in city traffic for sometime. This also made me postpone the day of Test for Licence. My friend advised me to get the licence and then practice driving.

I couldn't bear the delay and out of nowhere I got a burst of confidence to take our Fiesta for a drive in Chennai traffic alone one day. Fortunately I never stalled the car even once. Learning that I can drive boosted my confidence even more and I found myself taking a wide road curve at 60-70 kph without an iota of fear, thanks to the Fiesta's driving dynamics inspiring confidence in me.

That moment restored my confidence and love for driving, and then I wasn't afraid of doing the other side of 100 kph on highways. Riding on my newly boosted confidence, I got ready and had the date for Driving Test fixed.

When the date came, I was still a bit nervous because of not being aware of what a driving test really is. I reached the RTO ground early on instructor's advice, and practiced in a Driving School's Maruti Alto. I got relieved when I knew it was so easy. For bike test, I borrowed fellow person's Duke 200 and passed the 8-pattern test. For the car test, I had to only drive around half the ground in 2nd gear and to stop and engage handbrake. This I passed, and got my name confirmed for getting my licence.

At the age of 19 (almost 20), I held my driving licence in my hand for the first time. I never felt so independent in my life before. I got the right to drive cars and bikes! That moment was a joy in my life. Today, after almost 2 years of driving, I've driven cars for around 6000 kms, and I happily continue to do so.

Thanks for your patience people! I thank vixit once again for starting this candid thread, which has motivated me to share my roller-coaster story of learning to drive.

Live to drive,
Ultim8
Ultim8 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 17:34   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultim8 View Post
Great to see a candid and interesting thread, vixit!
..... Apologies for the incoming long story of "How I learnt to drive".
Isn't that what this thread was supposed to be for???

Quote:
grandpa's house in his then Maruti 800, when I was 17.
Man, that car is so much fun. It's so goddamn fun to be ripping around in that car, after all that ,you'll still be touching 40 max or maybe 60. Isn't that safe and fun both haha. What else can you ask for?!?

Quote:
Moving forward, dad gave me some driving lessons in his Ford Fiesta 1.6 (petrol) car too quickly and crash.
What a car to learn on, man! honestly. I love that car. My grandfather had a ZXI TDCI and it was one hell of a car.

Quote:
One day, dad pulled over on a highway and asked me to drive. Surprised, I took the baby steps by driving at 60-70 kph. In no time I got the hang of driving on highways and found myself doing 90 kph. Next time, I did 90-100 kph comfortably on the same highway.
that day looks a long time away for me/

Quote:
Due to lack of practice and my fear of launching the car too quickly, I still struggled with the clutch while starting the car from rest, and stalled it a lot. Dad once scolded me after he got disappointed with me stalling the car a lot while parking inside apartments.
Oh I know how that feels. But that just makes you angry and you're now determined. "I CANNOT STALL IT ONCE MORE" Izzat ka sawaal!

Quote:
Anyways, my journey of learning to drive wasn't complete without shenanigans.
I scraped my grandfather's city to the pillar and got so scared I had tears in my eyes lol. I can't even. It was a bad dent but although my mother was upset They didn't scold me since I promised not to touch it ever again. haha

Quote:

Thanks for your patience people! I thank vixit once again for starting this candid thread, which has motivated me to share my roller-coaster story of learning to drive.

Live to drive,
Ultim8

we live to drive. We drive to live. If not stories like this. What are we gonna talk about?

Must sound cheesy coming from a noob like me, but trust me, this means everything to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by cake View Post
ikr? It was quite an experience!

Thanks for the heads up, that's good advice. I've got my license though, cleared the test in an automatic
I see you're from hyd, buddy!
we gotta meet. Where do you live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
Nice and honest thread and anyone can relate to their initial learning days. The way I see it, I think you're going to be a safe sensible and responsible driver, something which our country lacks terribly. Just make sure to not try engine braking where you don't have to. Wrong application can put unnecessary strain on your engine and transmission making the whole point useless. Wish you many happy miles.
Thank you so much! I wish I had more smilies to spare.
Makes me so proud haha.

Since I still have my learner's I put up L signs on the car. front and back.
The number plate got washed away in the flood while driving, can someone suggest a place in hyd for a cheap fix?

If you see this car, Please stay the hell away. haha
Driving for the first time : A newbie's take on Indian roads-20201021_211054.jpg

Driving for the first time : A newbie's take on Indian roads-inked20201021_211036_li.jpg

It's so much fun to get behind the wheel. These keys are more than merely a way to enter the car.

Driving for the first time : A newbie's take on Indian roads-newwww.jpg
viXit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 14:47   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Isn't that what this thread was supposed to be for???
Can't agree more!

Quote:
Man, that car is so much fun. It's so goddamn fun to be ripping around in that car, after all that ,you'll still be touching 40 max or maybe 60. Isn't that safe and fun both haha. What else can you ask for?!?
Damn! I didn't expect the Maruti 800 to feel dramatic to drive at those speeds. Sad that I didn't take grandpa's then 800 to empty streets or roads other than being content with parking and doing small circles slowly.

Quote:
What a car to learn on, man! honestly. I love that car. My grandfather had a ZXI TDCI and it was one hell of a car.
Great to hear positive opinions about the Fiesta! The 2000s and early 2010s were great times, thanks to the fun-to-drive sedans.

Quote:
that day looks a long time away for me/
I understand. I used to play open-world games like Grand Theft Auto (GTA) San Andreas during my childhood. I'd save my favorite music playlist into the GTA San Andreas game's save folder & enjoy roaming in any vehicle I like on highways, inside the game.

That, along with keenly watching dad drive, helped me get the hang of driving on highways during my first time of driving on a highway.

One of my relatives, who was a long distance truck driver, mentioned that highways are easier to drive on even for beginners, provided that they maintain speeds around 60-70 kph (for our highways).

Quote:
Oh I know how that feels. But that just makes you angry and you're now determined. "I CANNOT STALL IT ONCE MORE" Izzat ka sawaal!
Haha! My passion for driving motivated me to not give up. I feel that learning to drive is easier than clearing college entrance exams with great results. If learning to drive was as difficult, we won't see millions of cars on our roads.

Quote:
I scraped my grandfather's city to the pillar and got so scared I had tears in my eyes lol. I can't even. It was a bad dent but although my mother was upset They didn't scold me since I promised not to touch it ever again. haha
Ah! I can relate to that guilty feeling of damaging a car while learning to drive.

Quote:

we live to drive. We drive to live. If not stories like this. What are we gonna talk about?

Must sound cheesy coming from a noob like me, but trust me, this means everything to me
Anyone can be passionate! And yes, being able to pursue our passion or obsession & talk about it means everything to us!

Quote:
If you see this car, Please stay the hell away. haha
Attachment 2071243
A white Tata Safari Storme with compass decals on the bonnet and the sides! Noted, vixit. Thanks for the heads-up!

Quote:
It's so much fun to get behind the wheel. These keys are more than merely a way to enter the car.

Attachment 2071245
Every enthusiast's key to happiness!
Old 11th December 2020, 12:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

My junior is about to get his DL. I read somewhere that an L Board is needed during 1st month after getting the DL, but couldn't find a legal notification on this. Would like to hear from others if this is true
Old 5th February 2021, 02:17   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
My junior is about to get his DL. I read somewhere that an L Board is needed during 1st month after getting the DL, but couldn't find a legal notification on this. Would like to hear from others if this is true
Sir,

Congratulations to your jr.

The rule is that he gets his learners license first. Obtaining which, he will be allowed to drive a vehicle that his learners license is for, as long as a permanent license holder is sitting next to him, and the car has an L board like the one on my safari on the front and the back.

After one month, he is eligible for a driving test, passing which, he can drive alone without any L board on the vehicle.

You should have quoted me sir. I would've responded earlier.
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 10:35   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir,

Congratulations to your jr

You should have quoted me sir. I would've responded earlier.
Thanks, my son got his DL and has started enjoying our roads.

I am sure your information will be helpful for many others.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks