Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2007, 10:58   #16
BHPian

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll go straight down to the station and lodge an FIR . The problem is this incident happened on 29th March. And i got the registration number only yesterday 3rd May. Anyways i'll go see if something can be done.
It's not that 'hit' that pisses me off, these things happen, esp on bangalore road, it's the fact that she ran.
I'll keep you posted as to what happens.
Old 4th April 2007, 11:56   #17
Team-BHP Support

Dont u think quite some time has passed since the incident?
Incident was on the 29th of March, and today being the 4th, i dont think the cops would really buy your story. I feel you should have filed the FIR immediately.

What say guys?
Old 4th April 2007, 12:14   #18
kph
BHPian

yes, 24hrs is the time frame, i suppose.
Old 4th April 2007, 12:56   #19
BHPian

The problem was i din't know who had hit my car till yesterday. On 29th i came out of office late in the night to find my car smashed. There was no one around to ask, so i left. Yesterday i was parking the car at the same spot when someone who stays across the street came down and told me what happened and gave me the reg no.

BTW i went to the "satellite" police station in BTM, there was only one constable there who spoke only kannada. I don't speak kannada, so i had really funny conversation with him. By the time i returned with a friend who speaks kannada, he'd locked the station and dissapeared.
I'll just go to madivala police station and see what can be done.

I got an estimate from Mandovi, apparently the repair will cost me nearly 10K

I had already made an insurance claim 4 months so i've lost me NCB. If i make another claim now will i be penalised futher by the insurance co ?
Does anyone know the details of how my next premium will be calculated ?
Old 4th April 2007, 13:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
If it is the former, just get a FIR & file the insurance claim making sure that your NCB is not touched.
Hey John, how do we make sure that we make an insurance claim but ensure that our NCB is not touched ? Is that possible ? I was of the impression that if I invoke my insurance, my NCB goes for a toss.
Old 4th April 2007, 21:26   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Do U know what car it was?
It might be useful to match the number(if miswritten) with the make and model.
ABSOLUTELY agree with that!

Chances of one digit being miswritten etc are high, and you never know what will ensue if you do not have more information (and they have got their car repaired).

If you do locate the car (yourself) and it is repaired, you can casually ask the watchmen etc (that was the car that had an accident some days back right?) and get your confirmation.

10K is a lot. The fact that she ran might have just been that she was scared, but nonetheless its her responsibility to have contacted you.

I would definitely follow it up, and do keep us informed as to what happens.

cya
R

ps - being in bangalore, i bet even if you mention the last 4 digits and the type and colour of car, there might be a good chance one of our members knows its location!

ps2 - also dont blindly trust the eyewitnesses description of the car, not everyone can tell the difference between a fiesta and an aveo or a c-class and an s-class. The colour is a better bet, and there probably is some of their paint on your car if you look carefully.

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th April 2007 at 21:29.
Old 4th April 2007, 23:07   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemlock View Post
I had already made an insurance claim 4 months so i've lost me NCB. If i make another claim now will i be penalised futher by the insurance co ?
Does anyone know the details of how my next premium will be calculated ?
Having an acident twice in a year is not a reason an insurance compnay can penalise you for, whats the purpose of the exostence then?
Doubt there will be any serious difference in your premium calculation as the IRDA does not permit flexibility in Genral Insurance premium calculation.

manson.
Old 4th April 2007, 23:48   #23
BHPian

I think its too late really unless you try something shady (which is not worth the trouble). Very sad though. My sympathies.

Go ahead and file the FIR.. Maybe something will come of it.
Old 5th April 2007, 08:14   #24
BHPian

You were right guys, it is too late. Also, apparently i've to go to the station with the witness, leave my car there for "inspection".
There is still a communication gap though. The cops do not want to file an FIR. They actually encouraged me to claim insurance.

The guy who gave me the reg no also told me that it was a white alto being driven by a woman. The last few things on the reg plte are MB 9100.
It would be good if someone knows the location of the car.
Old 5th April 2007, 08:44   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Having an acident twice in a year is not a reason an insurance compnay can penalise you for, whats the purpose of the exostence then? Doubt there will be any serious difference in your premium calculation as the IRDA does not permit flexibility in Genral Insurance premium calculation.
Yes and No. If you are accident prone, your premium can go up. It is not so straight jacket rule right now though. But in the new insurance "act" 2007, your premium will not be calculated only based on the value of the car, but your history and car usage as well.

For example: In US, there was a proposal for a new insurance scheme. Why should those who buy very expensive sports cars and drive it once in a bluemoon pay an annual premium? The proposal was tied up to the usage of the car. It was a big hit during pilot studies. Not sure of the state now. Of course, in India that would mean one word - "Rewind"
Old 5th April 2007, 09:47   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemlock View Post
You were right guys, it is too late. Also, apparently i've to go to the station with the witness, leave my car there for "inspection".
There is still a communication gap though. The cops do not want to file an FIR. They actually encouraged me to claim insurance.

The guy who gave me the reg no also told me that it was a white alto being driven by a woman. The last few things on the reg plte are MB 9100.
It would be good if someone knows the location of the car.
Hi,

Its not too late to file an FIR..One is supposed to file an FIR as early as possible of the incident taking place & for you that happens to be 4th or 5th or 6th or whatever..FIR is required to claim 3rd party insurance from the lady's insurance company..Your insurance company is going to ask you for it.You should have the lady involved with the hit and run incident or her insurance company pay for the damages..That way you won't have to shell out anything...hopefully for the damages..

Please take the pictures of the damage & get the person who gave you the car number to give you the story of the incident as in how it happened,time (location you know) & the details of the car & its occupant's description on a paper as you'll have to give to police station for the FIR. You need to mention that the lady hit your stationary parked car & ran away.
Old 17th April 2011, 20:34   #27
BHPian

Re: Hit and run

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshOnTheRocks View Post
Its not too late to file an FIR..One is supposed to file an FIR as early as possible of the incident taking place & for you that happens to be 4th or 5th or 6th or whatever..
Please excuse my ignorance, shall one has to lodge the FIR with the police station under the jurisdiction of which the accident actually took place?
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta

Most Viewed