Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2007, 14:27   #1
BHPian

Hit and run

Some idiot smashed into my car which was parked on the road next to my office. Before people standing around could stop her, she escaped. Anyways i have a smashed light assembly dented bumper and side. Thankfully someone got her license number down before she got away. I still can't imagine how she managed to smash into the car that was parked between two trees.

Normally i wouldn't bother, coz mistakes do happen. But to run into someone else's car and then running away is not done. Just wanted to make sure she remembers not to do it ever again.

So guys help me out here. How do i get to this 'Ma'am' using the license number.
What is the procedure like ?
Old 3rd April 2007, 15:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

FIR. She'll be in tonnes of shiite then. Or you could slip the RTO guy some money and get the address of the person the car is registered to. Do it quickly, before she repairs her car. Then no proof.
Old 3rd April 2007, 15:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

1. Report to the police with the registration number

or

2.Find out which RTO & approach them with some offers & you will get the owner's address & start from there.
Old 3rd April 2007, 15:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

your first step should be to lodge an FIR , because just going over to the owners place to argue will not help you much.
Old 3rd April 2007, 18:07   #5
BHPian

If you go to the owner directly, She may lodge an FIR against you for Stalking or Threatning, I would recommend file an FIR with the Police station where the incident occured, I hope it may be not too late since it should have been done instantly, Although its more of a legal hassle-which ultimately the Lady will settle out of court else, It will take some considerable time and patience..! So if you're willing go ahead with the Legal option or else forget it the Insurance will give the damages, although you will have to chip in..!

In such case do u need a witness, were there any shops nearby..! Who gave you the Registration- U will need to collect these information and fast as they will be required by the Police.

Last edited by wolfinstein : 3rd April 2007 at 18:08.
Old 3rd April 2007, 18:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

I've seen a case where my friend had an accident and the other guy lodged a complaint. The cops tracked him down asked my friend to come to the police station, warned him of severe action and all that and finally took some "fine" from him and let him go. Its seem the police took "administrative expenses" from the other guy for following up on this!!

Believe me its a big hassle to file a FIR.
Old 3rd April 2007, 18:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yeah. Just file a 'hit and run' on the registration number.
Its the diplomatic way to get it done. Simple.
Old 3rd April 2007, 18:39   #8
BHPian

But You need Witness to support the case or not..!
Old 3rd April 2007, 19:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemlock View Post
Some idiot smashed into my car which was parked on the road next to my office. Before people standing around could stop her, she escaped. Anyways i have a smashed light assembly dented bumper and side. Thankfully someone got her license number down before she got away. I still can't imagine how she managed to smash into the car that was parked between two trees.

Normally i wouldn't bother, coz mistakes do happen. But to run into someone else's car and then running away is not done. Just wanted to make sure she remembers not to do it ever again.

So guys help me out here. How do i get to this 'Ma'am' using the license number.
What is the procedure like ?
Hit and run complaint would do

Last edited by Surprise : 3rd April 2007 at 19:47.
Old 3rd April 2007, 20:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

id say file an FIR.cause id you just get the address and go over to argue im sure shes not gonna want to apologize she would have stopped if she wanted to do that.

if u file and FIR shell be in deep ****.
Old 3rd April 2007, 20:52   #11
Team-BHP Support

file an FIR, claim insurance and get the job done
Old 3rd April 2007, 21:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

Amongst all other things listed above, also be prepared to refrain from using your car for a few more days and look at alternative transport.
Old 3rd April 2007, 21:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

Do U know what car it was?
It might be useful to match the number(if miswritten) with the make and model.
Old 3rd April 2007, 21:59   #14
kph
BHPian

File FIR. When you think about the hazzles behind this, its not going to affect you, I'm sure. Police will track the person and then who is going to pay the price... not you. The lady will end up in doing 'the needful' at the police station and she or her 'someone' will definitely run to you to sellte it with apologies.
Old 3rd April 2007, 22:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

whats your objective ? do you want a hassle free settlement or do you want the other party to pay for the mistake ?? if it is the later, go to the police, just tip them a little & they will make sure the offender pays in full with an apology. If it is the former, just get a FIR & file the insurance claim making sure that your NCB is not touched.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks