Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2021, 10:55   #136
Team-BHP Support

Re: Widespread traffic police checking in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorguy View Post
There is a scam going with traffic light counters...
It seems to be happening a lot around Bangalore these days. Counters not counting down properly, or signals without functional counters that go straight to red from green abruptly, without any warning at all.

I point to my dashcam everytime a traffic cop tries to falsely blame me for jumping a red, usually gets them to back off without any further conversation.

Given these shenanigans, I'm curious whether it counts as jumping a signal if one enters an intersection while the light is still green but suddenly goes red before one is through?

P.S. I usually avoid crossing an intersection unless it's clear on the other side. Don't want to get stuck in the middle when the light goes red .
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 11:04   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Given these shenanigans, I'm curious whether it counts as jumping a signal if one enters an intersection while the light is still green but suddenly goes red before one is through?
There is this new signal on top of the Kadubeesanahalli underpass to direct traffic from all the sides.

It takes at least 5 seconds to go from the ORR service road into the Kariyamman Agrahara road and it doesn't have an amber light, goes directly from green to red. However it does remain on red for the other traffic for a little while longer so that there is no confusion. I believe this is the new system they are using since no one stops on amber in any case. There is always traffic police at this junction mainly to catch those who go the wrong way on the service road and they don't stop those who have crossed while on green even if it turns to red before you cross the junction.
Old 10th February 2021, 12:36   #138
Senior - BHPian

Apparently fines are becoming a source of revenue for the Government.

Karnataka govt may levy hefty penalties to bridge revenue shortfall.

Quote:
The departments being considered for stringent enforcement include commercial taxes, excise, transport and traffic.
Traffic police have collected around Rs 220 crore across Karnataka, and a record Rs 100 crore from Bengaluru city. “We’re still ascertaining the data as enforcement is a continuous process,” said Pratap Reddy, commissioner for traffic and road safety.
Old 10th February 2021, 12:55   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Apparently fines are becoming a source of revenue for the Government.
I give full support for them if this move kills two birds in one stone - increase revenue as well as reduce traffic violators. Alas, we all know what's happening on ground. If the government makes X rupees through fines, an equal if not more than X rupees goes to the pockets of the men who are tasked with catching the violators! They should first do away with giving too much authority and discretion in the hands of the cops and instead have a corporate model (read: profit driven model) where the traffic cops who are currently employed should be made only to manage traffic and outsource all violation logging and ticketing work to a 3rd party (like TCS etc) who MUST have evidence for every ticket logged and also have 24x7 grievance redressal call center.
nagr22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 13:30   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Coming soon to somewhere near you. Bengaluru traffic police is planning special drives to book traffic violations - News.
Wow, if we get these 'schedules' posted publicly, we can quickly add them to our Calendars so the moment we connect to our HUs, we know what exactly the cops are looking for that day!
railfanwithk750 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 13:41   #141
Senior - BHPian

Today, i rode my Activa with my wife as pillion from Banashankari to vidyaeetha. Hardly a distance of 3 kms.

We could see police stopping vehicles at, atleast at 4 places in span of 3 kms.

But, they were aiming only helmet less and mask less riders(both rider and pillion)

At all the places, they saw us both with helmets and masks and let us go.

But, what is worth noting is, in a span of 3 kms, 4 check points. This either show, our people attitude towards obeying rules or police determinants to achieve their targets
Old 10th February 2021, 13:47   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
But, they were aiming only helmet less and mask less riders(both rider and pillion)
Are the traffic police checking for masks or they are BBMP marshals?
fordday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 14:06   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Are the traffic police checking for masks or they are BBMP marshals?
They were traffic police with inspector, constables
Old 12th February 2021, 00:30   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Meanwhile, news link

Quote:
BENGALURU: The city traffic police who conducted an 'Operation Surprise Check' on Wednesday, booked 4,665 cases and collected over Rs. 43 lakh, including the penalty for 3,697 past violations, in 150 minutes.

The traffic police had recently stated that about Rs. 390 crore penalty was yet to be collected in over 95 lakh violation cases booked in the past.

A majority of those who had received notice had not paid the fine, the police had said that they are going to stop vehicles randomly for checks and collect the penalty in old cases, till February 17.

Accordingly, the police conducted a special enforcement drive from 11.30 am to 2 pm on Wednesday and collected a whopping Rs. 43,09,944 penalty. While Rs. 30,65,150 penalty was collected in 4,665 fresh violation cases, Rs. 12.36 lakh penalty was collected in 3,697 old cases.
Old 12th February 2021, 01:48   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Above are official outed numbers, imagine how many more for which receipt was not issued. The number is alarming for amount of guys flouting the rules, this drive should continue. Yes I might get pulled over randomly, yes I might spend five minutes of my time showing all documents, I am fine with it.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 13:20   #146
BHPian

I checked this morning on the Bangalore traffic police website and noticed that my i10 has a ticket for parking on the main road. The date of the office is marked as 7/2/2021 and on this date, the car never left my home!

Is there a way to check the proof or pictures online? Rs.1000 fine is not cheap and I don't want to pay for this without someone showing me that it is indeed my car and the actual violation has been committed.
madhav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 14:14   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post
I checked this morning on the Bangalore traffic police website and noticed that my i10 has a ticket for parking on the main road. The date of the office is marked as 7/2/2021 and on this date, the car never left my home!

Is there a way to check the proof or pictures online? Rs.1000 fine is not cheap and I don't want to pay for this without someone showing me that it is indeed my car and the actual violation has been committed.
You can reach out to BTP via twitter and ask them for photo proof.
Old 15th February 2021, 14:15   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post
You can tweet to Bengaluru traffic police @blrcitytraffic and ask them to share the violation picture proof. I am not sure why the image is not shown on the website itself.

However, I have sometimes seen them respond with something like 'Issued by XXX station, please visit them for proof'. Not sure why.
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 14:23   #149
BHPian

Got stopped on my 2 wheeler for absolutely no reason today. I was riding at 45-50 kmph on ORR and after the Sarjapur Road flyover, cop dives in front of my scooter and pulls me to the side. Asks for all the documents and showed him the same. Once he checked them and saw that everything was in order he told me to drive more carefully in the future.

This is happening a lot these days i feel. I have been stopped 4 times in the last year for no apparent reason.
Old 15th February 2021, 14:31   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulcmoulee View Post
Got stopped on my 2 wheeler for absolutely no reason today. I was riding at 45-50 kmph on ORR and after the Sarjapur Road flyover, cop dives in front of my scooter and pulls me to the side. Asks for all the documents and showed him the same. Once he checked them and saw that everything was in order he told me to drive more carefully in the future.

This is happening a lot these days i feel. I have been stopped 4 times in the last year for no apparent reason.
It may be due to this news. BTP will be flagging down vehicles at random to check and collect fines.

Most Viewed