Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2020, 16:38   #76

Re: Harrier stuck | Google Maps terror | GoDigit RSA for rescue

This is a great post. A very useful one at that.

Three important lessons:

1. One should stay on major Highways during night time driving, esp. one is unfamiliar with the area and the terrain. In this case, if the river bed was quicksand or a marshy area, rescue teams may not have arrived on time.

And rescue teams can only arrive if the phones were working? It would have been scarier if one lands up at a spot with no phone coverage.

2. Never trust Google Maps blindly. I think it is wise to have a mental map/or some readily referable notes on major milestones/locations that are expected to come along the way, before starting out on a long journey. Esp. on an unfamiliar route.

3. Always sign-up for RSA. I have used ICICI Lombard within city limits, and they have been helpful.

As an avid Google Maps user I have not only travelled across India, but also within multiple cities in the US, and more recently during a road trip in Sri Lanka. Back when there were Windows Phones and Here Maps were working, I would use them too once in a while.

Rarely has there been a problem. Except for this one instance:

I found myself in a similar situation in Sri Lanka. When returning from a Buddhist sanctuary that was deep inside a jungle, the Google Maps offered a detour. Somehow I thought geographically it is pointing us in the right direction. I took a very low ground clearance Toyota Prius on a dirt track and found myself on a dried river bed, which appeared to have been used by 4x4 cars. The course of the dried river itself appeared to be the road with deep tyre marks. Certainly a Toyota Prius could not have navigated through it.

By that time my phone had no network and it was solely reliant on GPS satellite for roughly positioning my location. No network meant I could not have called anyone for any help too. Since it was day time I was able to step out of the car and assess a path back without getting stuck on the undulated dirt surface. I managed to reverse the car and was able to find the trail back to the main road.

I shudder to think what would have transpired if it was night time and we had no visibility.
manishi01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 16:42   #77
BHPian

Faced a similar situation in 2017 on the way to Yercaud. Google Maps took us through some absolutely crazy country and forest roads that were as wide as our Honda City. I had my heart in my mouth the whole time while we traversed some absolutely lonely, twisty and scary roads. Being in a low GC sedan with 4 other ladies and my then 3yo kid didnt help matters either.

GMaps took us through Thoppur-Devatipatti-Danishpet-Kanavaipudur-Kolakoor Road-Through Chengalakaadu-Karadiyoor -Nagalur and finally onto our Hotel in the north of Yercaud. If you see this route on your Gmaps to Yercaud, please avoid it.

While coming back, we took the more standard 20 Hairpin bend roads to reach the outskirts of Salem and then got back on the highway. Not knowing the language was another big challenge and we had to go by vague directions in air and only understood names of villages & towns.

In another similar incident closer to home, we wanted to visit the HirekoLaley Lake near Chikkamagaluru from our homestay, which was on the way to Mullayangiri hills. Instead of suggesting the normal route to go south into the town and then head back north, Google Maps suggested us a route via Hosapura which is a very challenging and lonely route to take, specially in a low GC sedan and again, having 2 kids and their mothers onboard. Asking locals didnt help much either as they said that we could make it down the hill to the lake but they didnt know if the sedan could do it.

After traveling half way down, and after some heart ripping underbody hits, we decided to turn back (with a 108 point U turn on non existing roads ) and since it was almost dark, we had to drop the entire plan to visit the lake.
Old 21st October 2020, 16:44   #78
Senior - BHPian

On google maps, avoid toll option needs some work. There are some toll roads here where the actual toll starts only when you pass under the Toll towers. Google Maps being clever will put you on the toll road and just before toll towers show you the exit lane. This is supposed to save you time and money.

Not with me. I drive past the toll road entry. I ain't going in there.
Old 21st October 2020, 16:46   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
And yes, don't trust Google Maps blindly in rural India. Local intelligence (asking at toll booths & dhabas) is strongly recommended.
I agree with this 100%. Happened to my wife and I at a remote location in Tamil Nadu. Google suggested the shortest route which happened to go through an unpaved single road (only one vehicle could pass at a time). Luckily for us, a car that was behind was kind enough to stop and check as to where we were going. Ended up following him upto the highway. Like GTO said, local knowledge is the best. People are generally helpful.
Old 21st October 2020, 16:48   #80
BHPian

Reading this post gave me a De-Javu. I have done Mumbai-Nagpur To & Fro journey twice and I can safely conclude that Google maps can't be relied at all atleast on this route.

The first time I relied completely on Google Maps and ended up travelling through extremely aloof villages, undivided roads which sometimes went through village by-lanes. ~800 Kms journey took me 22 Hours.

The second time I had my brother following us in his new Polo GT TSI. This time I had discussed the route completely with my father who has travelled on the route many times in the past and decided to follow the National Highway irrespective of longer duration as per Google maps. Here is when it got funny: Google maps was suggesting 3 very different routes on my car's Android HU, my iphone & my brother's Android phone!! None of them suggested sticking to the National Highway as it was the longest route as per the App. We decided to ignore the navigation instructions and used the app only for location reference.

Sure enough, we made it home in 15 hours flat!

Really sorry for you friend as he was mis-lead to skip the best part of the route. Amravati-Nagpur is a fun 4 Lane highway with minimal traffic at nights and villages well bounded off the highway which makes doing triple digit speeds easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir333 View Post

Third, the engine light. This happened once with me too on my Polo. I revved the engine really hard on an off-road steep climb. There was smoke and burning smell from the engine bay. The engine light came on. And the very next morning it was gone! Even the VW guys did not find any error codes
It could be due to the O2 sensor throwing the error due to excess smoke in the engine bay.
R_Gowardhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 17:10   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Mountain terrain with boulders and rocks all over. Worst part was that this was like a deep forest area with no human in sight for kms together and no phone signal . And here I was driving a complex German diesel with wife and 2 small kids. In the 20 odd years of my driving life, those were the 2 scariest hours at the wheel. It was midday and dry season. Guess that's what prompted me to take that risk. Learnt a big lesson that day.
Reminds me of an incident when I had a similar experience coming back to Bangalore from Trichy. These were the days before Google Maps and it was probably late 90s. There used to be a level crossing just before Dharmapuri those days and there was a sign which said Hosur on the left before the level crossing. I took this road and off we went into a forest area. The route would take us to Hosur via Palakode. 20 kms went by with just the occasional lorry. I had half a mind to go back, but bravado took over. There was a thunderstorm ahead, and to my luck a huge tree fell across the road and there was no way around. The locals asked me to take a village road. An hour later, we (wife and I) were still travelling via villages with no Hosur in sight. It was also pouring steadily. Reached the next village and to our luck there were a couple of students wanting to go to Mathigiri. We took them on board and fortunately we got to the crossing just before the present Hosur RTO. Somehow we bypassed Hosur entirely and got into the highway at Attibele. Scary experience.
Old 21st October 2020, 17:22   #82
BHPian

First of all its very comforting to know that the ordeal ended positively.
Thank heavens for that.

However one cannot simply ignore the fact that there were some very serious lapses of judgement here.
Driving through a highway at night, one does not simply turn off the highway without a very compelling reason even if instructed by a human being much less a computer. Staying on the highway is most often the fastest and safest option. If GMaps is directing you off the highway its always better to stop and zoom out to see whats the reason it did that and is it actually reducing the trip time. In this case the alternate route was longer and more time consuming which itself says that the route should've been avoided.

If a bridge cannot be crossed, one does not simply go down to the river bed to cross it especially in monsoon season when the bed will be wet and muddy even if there is no water.
If the river or stream has to be crossed, then definitely there would have been an alternate bridge somewhere. If we zoom out in GMaps Satellite view sure enough there is another bridge to cross the creek.
Harrier stuck | Google Maps terror | GoDigit RSA for rescue-harrier_stuck_alternate_bridge.png

Its understandable that your friend was in hurry to get to Nagpur but sometimes its always better to stop and assess the situation. Haste clouds your judgement and makes you take unconventional decisions. If you are having to take multiple unconventional decisions one after another, its surely time to stop and think why.

And although we all love to flog GMaps for its comic failings at times, I don't think GMaps was to blame here. It was only doing what was instructed of it (avoiding toll roads).
In the end its a computer system and it only does what we ask it to. Computers can only follow your instructions and not your intentions.
The fact that GMaps was continuously routing them off the highway since the start of the trip should have been the first red flag.

I hope your friend takes this as a good learning exercise and hopefully it does not turn him off highway trips.

Last edited by arijitkanrar : 21st October 2020 at 17:29. Reason: added info
arijitkanrar is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 18:39   #83
BHPian

Quote:
After some rest and sleep, he woke up to find that the engine check gone and the headlights magically returned back to normal!

continued...
Quote:
Third, the engine light. This happened once with me too on my Polo. I revved the engine really hard on an off-road steep climb. There was smoke and burning smell from the engine bay. The engine light came on. And the very next morning it was gone! Even the VW guys did not find any error codes
Me too faced this similar problem in my Marazzo. Started from home, not even crossed 100mts and suddently vehicle shown the engine light and stopped abruptly. Then talked to my sixth sense, took out the car key, waited for 2 minutes and then turned on the key. Pheww, car engine light gone and able to start the engine. No idea what happened but happy overall. And somewhere in my mind had this question "why this happened to my not even 1 year old car", without a second thought took out my phone and called the SA and explained the thing. He cool mindedly replied "Sir, me too have no idea why the car behaved like that". That's the only time I had this bad experience with a new car.
Old 21st October 2020, 18:53   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijitkanrar View Post

However one cannot simply ignore the fact that there were some very serious lapses of judgement here.
I don't think GMaps was to blame here. It was only doing what was instructed of it
Its not always possible to assess the route before a journey, one may have last minute change of destination. In that case one would directly start the navigation or google map.

For sure, Google maps is to be blamed here. Google is one of most innovative company, who rely and spend a lot on Artificial intelligence.
Just because one has specified "no toll", google cannot suggest a non existent village- river bed route. This is not tracking.

Google can still show only the toll road and not the diversion unless it knows about alternate recognized route like SH or bypass. After all the route advise or direction which we seek from any means is based on simple principle that information provider is aware about it. There is no compulsion to provide info.

Last edited by Wanderers : 21st October 2020 at 18:54.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 20:47   #85
HrB
BHPian

I have never been a fan of RSA and have always declined offers from the dealer or insurance agent. But going through this thread, I now feel what risk I have been taking by not subscribing to RSA. This year's insurance has just been renewed. Looks like I will have to wait another year to include RSA. Or can I do it mid term? Can anyone help?
HrB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 21:15   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

Despite my experience in long distance driving and all the "gyan", I have also been a victim of Google maps once. We were returning from Goa and the plan was to stop at my In-law's place in Sirsi (KA) for lunch. We were returning from Karwar and turned towards Yellapur. Karwar - Yelpapur - Sirsi seemed longer by about 50 kms (nearly 40% compared to shortcut) and Google suggested an internal road. We took it and it turned out to be an absolute nightmare. Mountain terrain with boulders and rocks all over.
Other than the Ankola-Hubli highway (and take diversion in Yallapura) and Kumta-Sirsi through Devimane Ghat, I don' think there are any proper roads to go to Sirsi Better to ask local people than trusting Google Maps.
Old 21st October 2020, 21:17   #87
BHPian

I generally opt for RSA from the insurance providers because its a lot cheaper compared to the one provided by the Vehicle manufacturers.

During the third year of my VW Vento ownership, I opted for Godigit, however, never used it. For the forth year, I opted for HDFC ERGO insurance with RSA (which was Rs350 extra), as it was much cheaper compared to Godigit.

In June 2020 while returning to Hyderabad from Tirupati, I pulled over at Ghar Dhaba on the outskirts of Kurnool for a quick nap. Although I switched off the car, but somehow, kept the key in ON position with fan in running mode, and slept. After two hours (morning 4AM), I woke up to slight beeping sound from the car with battery warning light on the console. The AV system was showing a warning of low battery. I lost all my sleep, and tried to switch on the engine, and it would not crank

Since I stopped at the petrol station, I checked with the attendants, but they did had any jump cable. Requested some cabbies who came to fill fuel, if they could assist, but they were of no help.

Since I had the RSA on my insurance, opened the insurance copy and to my surprise, it does not have the RSA telephone number and only had the customer care number. Called the HDFC customer care, and again to my surprise they were not working as it was out of working hours.

Requested friends to check over the net for number for RSA of HDFC ERGO insurance and none could find the number (my mobile net was poor at the stranded area)

With no other option, called VW RSA and they took three hours to reach and assisted me jump starting(VW charged me Rs.1800 as my stranded place was 20KM outside of Kurnool) the vehicle and came back to Hyderabad.

Post coming to Hyderabad, I contacted the customer care who provided me with their RSA number.

It was my oversight that I did not note the RSA number before starting of the trip, and its a very clever ploy by HDFC ERGO to not mention their RSA number anywhere.

HDFC ERGO RSA number: 022 6787 2074
HDFC ERGO Customer Care number: 022 6234 6234

I am sure HDFC ERGO willfully does not provide/provide the RSA number on the insurance copy nor on their portal to reduce the costs/overheads.

Request to moderators: Can we have a place holder which lists RSA details of all the manufacturers as well as insurance service providers. The details will be very useful during travels.
cormodore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 23:02   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Second, why did the lights (headlights specifically) on harrier stopped working? I don't have an answer to this and would ask bhpians to shed some light on the topic
This happened with me.

I was driving a friend's Honda City VX. Had a quick break and got into the vehicle. No road lights, I was doing decent speeds 50-60 kmph. I then tailed a truck for some time and flashed him for an overtake.

I was dazzled and instantly knew I hadn't switched on the lights and was driving purely under the DRL illumination.

That day I realised the value of automatic lamps especially when you have bright DRLs. As I drive the Polo with pathetic lights, I could drive the City under DRLs.
Old 21st October 2020, 23:31   #89

Few things:

1. Night Drives: I see some members objecting on night drives but IMO day vs night has it own pros and cons and one cannot be said better than other. I guess its just preference and comfort level. I have driven all major Highways of India expect NE and found most of them safe enough in terms of Emegency Service / RSA response time even at night. Rest is luck.

2. RSA: Without a doubt, RSA is critical specially for passionative drivers and good to have for all. I found review bit biased for GoDigit though I could be over thinking. I have experience with Kia, Honda and KTM assist, all have been satisfactory. At the end, they all transfered the case to nearest local vendor which is same for most brands at times.

3. Harrier is a Car: With great looks and nice size and being categorized as SUV you may be deceived to feel that your car could fly over the river but it won't. It will run smoothly on smooth roads and roughly on rough and that's all. Its not an army truck, its not a monster truck and its not whatever you think it was. Neither it has that level of ground clearance nor its a 4WD. Understand the limitation of your car.

4. Driving Skills: Even if one had some amazing car which could have passed that tricky area, driving through mud / snow / sand requires a different level of expereince and at times additional equipments. Understand the limitation of your skill set.

5. Long Drives SPECIALLY AT NIGHT = Highway Drives: Even if you want to have that off road adventures, I think most will agree Indian Highways will let you have that experience too once in a while. You don't need to deroute specially at night specially in a new vehicle. Yes, toll feels like a pain but highways have been designed for long routes. So please do untick toll free routes.

6. Google Maps OR Any GPS Maps: I have ended on river beds, wrong midway cities, dangers I could avoid roads because of GMaps. Learned the lesson harway but it is what it is. On intercity travels its best use GMaps to get a bigger picture, like what highway to pick and how long to expect to drive on it. Give priority to Highway sign boards over GMaps, prefer choosing bigger roads than smaller ones unless there is a clear reason not to.

That being said, when you have a car and you drive things are going to happen. You cannot control everything. But its always good to be prepared for worst case scenarios like a good RSA, insurance, emergency contacts, not carryling too much valuable things, someone having a track of your live GPS location, not taking a stop in a dicy place, having hazard light on while taking undesignated stops, not parking on the highway, having direction or hazard when being super slow or parking or moving from parking to highway, not racing, not using mobile while driving etc etc.

And one more thing, greatest drivers are not who reach the destination fastest or the one who overtakes maximum car etc but the one who reach safest, follow all reasonable norms and respect other drivers on road.

p.s.: Understand your limitations, understand your car's limitations. And BE PREPARED, BE ALERT & BE RESPONSIBLE. Save your life and save others too.

Thank you
utsav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 00:53   #90
BHPian

Thanks to OP for sharing this!
Glad to know the ordeal ended on a pleasant note except for a few anxious hours.
The quality of RSA at that hour and location - Speechless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsav View Post
p.s.: Understand your limitations, understand your car's limitations. And BE PREPARED, BE ALERT & BE RESPONSIBLE.
Can't agree more.

In my friends' group we keep reminding ourselves that "Smartphones make people dumb".
The essence, like many others mentioned, take the input from any of the assistance provided by technology, BUT make your own decisions.

My 2 cents for long drives, whether day or night, always do your homework on the routes before you start. If you want to avoid tolls, identify deviations that would be beneficial and ignore others where you would significantly increase the travel time by x%. My personal preference is zero tolls and for any new routes I explore, I do a virtual trip on google maps from start to destination switching between satellite and map views, as needed.

When you find or feel something odd about the route, try to zoom out and check the surroundings of your current location and see what is the nearest alternate route. This kind of gives you a perspective and feedback on the route that you are on.

Some points that I learnt from my dad (who is definitely old school ):

ALWAYS:
  • carry a good torchlight on long drives
  • carry a good rope that can be used for towing and if need arises, tying luggage
  • keep the entire tool kit for the car (even if you don't know how to use, you might find a good Samaritan who can use and help you if you have the tools)
  • check the tyre pressure of the spare wheel
  • have sufficient water (~5Ltrs of water) for radiator - saved me couple of times when the radiator hose started leaking during the trip
  • have sufficient drinking water
  • keep a pack of biscuits or some candies - helps in staying alert when driving (coffee in a flask is a plus)
drsk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed