Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Should I let my chauffeur use the AC while waiting?
Yes 81 25.31%
No 90 28.13%
Depends on variables like wait time/ weather etc 149 46.56%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2020, 19:13   #1
BHPian

Chauffeur using car a/c too much while waiting! Yay or Nay?

So here is a big moral dilemma that I'm currently facing, Since the lockdown has opened up my grandmother regularly uses my 07 Honda Civic automatic with a chauffer, as she just loves the rear seat experience in the car, she mostly goes to her friend's houses for Canasta games a few times a week.
Now summers in Delhi can be quite bad and I've learned through some "reliable" sources that the chauffer is often seen sitting in the car with the AC on during wait times, the durations range from 2 minutes to 4 hours. Now this is a topic which I stay away from more often than not, it's one of those unanswered , unquestioned things that we all know happen at some point but it's best left unsaid for the most part. But as you all would know , the business class seat in the civic comes at a price, and she considers the fuel tank like an all you can eat buffet. And in the month of October itself I've spent around 10K so far in fuel expenses which going simply by the odo readings on distance covered shouldn't have cost me more than 4-5K, even if I assume the fuel efficiency to be 5Kmpl.
So where am I going with this exactly ? Well to be fair, frank and honest I normally wouldn't worry about it at all, because I understand that everyone feels the heat and it's very important to keep the help happy given the scarcity of trustworthy people in today's day and age, even more so when ferrying around senior citizens, but I have a feeling the discrepancies will begin to pinch me at some point, now I would never discuss this with my grandmother, she is pushing 80 and the last thing I would want is to burden her with these trivial things and neither would I expect her to talk to the chauffer, but at the same time I myself am very hesistant to have this discussion with him, because once it's said it can't be unsaid, and then neither can we change the arrangement at a later date. My stops were mostly less than 15 minutes so I never really cared much but should I ask him in a polite way to cap the duration at 30 minutes or to at least use regular intervals ? Luckily the summers are coming to end and now would be the best time to have this discussion, but to be honest I'm not able to convince myself on this just yet, it makes me feel like some folks who take their children's nannies to dine with them in restaurants but don't order them anything to eat. This could be a perosnal preference, but would love to hear some of your inputs on how to go about this.

Also - I already tried to have a mini discussion convincing my grandmother to use a different car, but I sensed within a minute itself that she doesn't want to let go of the Civic experience.

Mods - Feel free to move to a different thread if required.
armaan_singh is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 19:23   #2
BHPian

re: Chauffeur using car a/c too much while waiting! Yay or Nay?

Indeed a moral dilemma. One suggestion would be to use the blower in fresh air mode and use the AC intermittently (maybe for 1/3 of the time). This will prevent the car from becoming stuffy inside.
Cessna182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 19:23   #3
BHPian

One of those topics where there is never a right or wrong way to chose from. May be try discussing with Chauffer about how Civic is gobbling up fuel instead of directly confronting him for AC usage. Either he will inform you that he has been using AC during wait hours or might reduce the usage since he knows you have your eyes on fuel economy.
Engine_Roars is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 19:31   #4
BHPian

Try this, I did the same, (when I had a driver to take wife to school) ask your granny to ask the driver to park the car, lock it and give her the keys.

He can sit in the verandah of the house she goes to, or he can stroll around.

If he's guilty he'll make excuses.

Try it it's effective.
Vinod_nair is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 19:36   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

For a start you can ask him to show the vehicle to some workshop for a check up as the FE is very very low and you have been wondering why.

The other way, well.. is pretty unorthodox, but, if you have a known workshop, you can seek their help. They can casually ask if some ones been idling the car regularly as its harming the car in some way and also help in "advising" the driver not to idle, if possible. Might work, if the driver isn't a car guy.

But then whatever method to work, needs the driver to have an attitude of not to intentionally take advantage of your stuff..
dhanushs is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 08:23   #6
BHPian

HI, I have been through this with my ex driver, Approach Him directly and tell him that using the AC while the car is stationary is extremely bad, not only in terms of costs but also engine wear and tear. Yes I know its hot, but just roll the windows down, park at a place that's shady or take a stroll, if the heats still getting you, get a desk job. Give him a flask with cold water everyday from your kitchen and those battery operated mini FANS too!

So tell him to either stop using it or that you would install a system where you'd get notified automatically if the cars AC is on. If he still doesn't stop using it , just get a new driver!

Whether its the civic or an other car, he would still be using the AC while the car is stationary adding to your fuel bills, causing wear & tear to the engine and worse, damage to the environment.

Last edited by Y@SH : 27th October 2020 at 08:26.
Y@SH is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 08:28   #7
Team-BHP Support

Get a GPS, it will alert you every time your car is switched on / off. You can confirm from your granny as to if she is inside the car or not, if not, you can ask the chauffeur to stop idling the car. Most GPS come with this function, you can enquire about it.

I do not take my chauffeur but my parents / wife do. I have asked them to pay the chauffeur ~50, park near a tapri, have tea etc and wait there instead of waiting inside the car. Of course, by maintaining social distance norm nowadays.
Sheel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 08:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
So here is a big moral dilemma that I'm currently facing.....
If the wait time is more than, say 30-45 minutes (for e.g.), ask your chauffeur to go back to your Grandmother's residence. When she is ready to return home, she can call him to pick her up. That way he doesn't have any excuse to sit in the car with the AC on, and even with the additional kms, the fuel bill might be lesser than what it is now. Of course, this solution is workable only if your Grandmother's friends don't live too far from her house.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 27th October 2020 at 08:53.
comfortablynumb is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 09:31   #9
BHPian

Is this really a moral dilemma? As an employer, you’ve hired him to do a job and when you feel that they are taking undue advantage, you confront them and clear the air one way or another.

My employer gives me coffee at work and they wouldn’t mind me having a cup or two more while at work. But they’re not going to let me take a few bags of coffee beans home or take the milk and sugar home.

Same here. You can let them use the AC for a bit while stationary but that doesn’t entitle them for unlimited idle time AC. If it bothers you enough to post a thread here, it means you don’t like what you see and you’re going you have to talk it out.
pandey.jai is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 09:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So here is a big moral dilemma that I'm currently facing,
While this is a clear cut case of employer-employee agreement, I truely appreciate the empathy you have for the driver.

I think I would approach it this way.

Tell the driver that the car is giving 5 kmpl mileage and that something needs to be done.

If that nudge doesnt give him the message, then its a clear case of him taking you for granted. Thats when you tell him to reduce AC usage directly. If you dont want to pick up a direct conversation, install a dashcam (kent types) by saying that Delhi has a lot of road rage, etc. He will surely get the message.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 09:41   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

A different take here from me.

As the owner, employer, rule maker don't make rules you cannot implement, monitor and exercise retribution on. It undercuts your real authority. A lesson Govt of India has not learnt in 73 years.

For 7 months in Delhi extra aircon and hence fuel consumption is like an extra road tax you pay for the convenience of a reliable and safe driver.

I have long ago explained to our drivers that I fully understand and empathize with their situation and they are welcome to use the aircon thoughtfully and I trust them to use it
judiciously. Also explained the harm it causes to the car's mechanicals. And beyond that it is their call. The result is that they do use the aircon but not all the time because the power to use is now officially in their hands as is the responsibility.

The cost comes with the perk.
V.Narayan is offline   (95) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 11:32   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Chauffeur using car a/c too much while waiting! Yay or Nay?

We appreciate your empathy, but the relationship with this chauffeur is strictly transactional - he drives, you pay. An air-conditioner is not part of the relationship. You need to put a stop to this habit & install a monitoring app / device.

You could either tell him straight up (that's what I would) or if you want to be more polite, tell him to split the cost with you 50 : 50. See what happens .

Quote:
And in the month of October itself I've spent around 10K so far in fuel expenses which going simply by the odo readings on distance covered shouldn't have cost me more than 4-5K, even if I assume the fuel efficiency to be 5Kmpl.
Back-of-the-envelope calculations tell me you are spending 10,000 bucks for just 600 km ? I hope fuel theft isn't part of the equation too.
GTO is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 12:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

1) Ask the driver to park and hand over the keys, it wont work in practical world because many times the car and passenger may be 5-10 minutes of walking distance away, perils of mega cities.

2) Switch to a cheaper CNG-Hatchback, still a small cost, but Dadi loves the Civic, period!

3) Try to tip the chauffer for fuel saved, I am not sure how effective it can be, but it is a remote possibility.

4) Get a new chauffer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
...As the .... rule maker don't make rules you cannot implement, monitor and exercise retribution on. It undercuts your real authority.....
O/T - My future Bumper Sticker or Desk Quote!!
svsantosh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 12:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Cab guys and private car chauffeurs are often seen parked with the AC on. Some owners are not even aware about such a misuse. While being empathetic with drivers, where we allow them to use it if situation really demands it, we can't give them a free hand too. One would end up having additional expense that translates to even 50% of his salary besides engine damage and repair expenses owing to long hours of idling with AC on. It's high time you discussed it with the driver and solve it amicably. You're too nice to him that he takes unfair advantage.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 27th October 2020 at 12:58.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 21:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

Tell your driver that you expect X km/L efficiency & for him to keep a log-book in the car. Ensure that the log includes the fuel efficiency column. This is not to directly control the driver, but largely to indicate to him that you do monitor/audit the fuel efficiency & bill. This would usually bring accountability and self-motivated control over his usage pattern.

Personal assistants/security guards/drivers/cooks/peons/maids/care-takers are key employees engaged largely based on personal equation & on trust, so since one doesn't usually want to strain the relationship, it's better to be discreet in testing their sincerity once in a while.

There was a discussion on the forum about an OBD device sold by OLX/Reliance that could be connected to the OBD-II Port, that could be used to monitor driving pattern as well as many parameters including efficiency etc.

Heres a useful Team-BHP thread with earlier discussions (Don't want the driver using air-conditioner in my absence)LINK

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 27th October 2020 at 22:16.
GrammarNazi is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks